Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Help! I have soft water AND a front loader... anyone else? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1441187)

raisingthem4Him 09-08-2012 01:58 PM

Help! I have soft water AND a front loader... anyone else?

It seems I can never get my diapers clean. I've read all the threads about this, and tried all sorts of amounts of detergent (more AND less) and lots of extra rinses. But what I was wondering specifically was what detergent others have found to work best with both very soft water AND a front loader. Thanks!

fish3737 09-08-2012 02:15 PM

Re: Help! I have soft water AND a front loader... anyone else?

I've tried a bazillion different detergents.

The best one I've found is Tide Free and Gentle Liquid.

Holly dolly 09-08-2012 02:36 PM

I have normal bordering on soft water here. Purex naturals has been my lifesaver. Cheer worked well too but Purex is cheaper. ;)

fish3737 09-08-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly dolly (Post 15655814)
I have normal bordering on soft water here. Purex naturals has been my lifesaver. Cheer worked well too but Purex is cheaper. ;)

Cheer worked well for us too but I have a hard time finding Cheer Free anymore.

maieranne 09-08-2012 04:36 PM

Soft water and FL here too. Original powder Tide worked until they changed the formula. Now only thing that works for me is a touch of bleach every or every other load.

4boys1girlforme 09-08-2012 04:40 PM

Actually soft water will make it easier to keep diapers clean- not harder. In hard water the minerals make it harder for the detergent to work properly. You have to be careful with soft water that you aren't using too much detergent and that it is rinsed well.
I have a water softener and a front loader and have used Tide HE powder (ultra works great too!) for years with no issue. I always wash diapers on sanitary though so that might be what makes it so easy for me.

jnk10046 09-08-2012 04:50 PM

I have both as well and we have an originla fl that does not have all those neat settings. I use tide he. I wash every other day and finally found what works. My babe is ebf so I pull out all of the pockets, covers and other non cotton dipes and throw them in cold wash with rinse, hot wash with cold rinse with detergent up to the bottom line on the cup, and then another cold wash rinse.
Then I throw all of the inserts and cotton in and do the same thing. Except twice a month I put in a tiny splash of bleach in this load. I sun all of my dipes as often as possible. Hope this helps. I really wish I could afford a new washer!

nahrie 09-08-2012 06:24 PM

Tide Pure Essentials liquid to the 1st line, splash of bleach. Prewash cold, hot wash, 2 cold rinses.

AmandaA 09-08-2012 08:31 PM

I was in your boat too. After asking for some help here last month I was finally able to get our stink under control. I had tried 4 different "cd friendly/approved" detergents and wasn't having luck with any of them. After spending hours on here reasearching detergents, I finally "gave myself permission" to try a mainstream detergent. Since the HE options were a little limited and I was worried about my son's sensitive skin issues, I tried Tide Free and Gentle HE liquid. I wash 10-12 diapers (pockets for day and fitteds at night) at a time. I started with deteregent to line 1 and HOLY SUDS! I had never seen that many suds in my washer at once (not even with regular deteregents on our other laundry). I lost count of how many rinses it took to get the soap out... pretty sure I got into double digits (after my "regular" wash routine that includes 4 rinses- I still had so many suds left that I couldn't even see my diapers under the water!). I cut that in half and it measured out to .5 ounce of the liquid, which still gives me plenty of suds but I can get it rinsed out in a reasonable amunt of time now. I also use 1-2 Tbsp of bleach in each load to keep the ammonia at bay in our fitteds (never a problem in my pockets, but I'm determined to wash it all together). I know a lot of people are afraid to use mainstream detergent and bleach for fear of voiding their warranties or hurting resale, but I decided to take the plunge so that I could actually feel good about using my diapers on my son. Everything will eventually wear out or fall apart with enough use, so I might as well use them and enjoy them now. I also tweaked the setting I was using on my washer to get as much warm water as possible through my diapers.

Our final routine looks like this- I spray all of my inserts and fitted diapers with a diaper sprayer after diaper changes to rinse out as much urine as possible from the start and then wash every other day. I start with 2 warm rinse/spin cycles (in my machine this gives the most water possible and it lets me program to run two of them back to back). I then wash in hot on the bulky cycle with heavy soil and extra water settings (most water and longest possible on my machine) using .5 ounce of Tide F&G with 1-2Tbsp regular Clorox and set for two cold rinses. I then run the 2 warm rinse/spin cycles again. I hate that I have to make 3 trips to my machine to start the various cycles, but this has been the only thing that has worked for me with my particular FL model and our water.

TrennaII 09-08-2012 08:44 PM

Well Tide obviously works for a lot of people. For us, it wouldn't rinse AND wouldn't get the diapers clean. If your stink is a swampy smell, it may be that your water has a specific mineral that both reduces cleaning power and increases rinse resistance. I hear Cheer f&c is good for this. I prefer Country Save.

Have you tried the various methods to get more water in? Add a wet towel or pour in more water? The water needs to do the most work, not the detergent.