Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Blood in expressed milk. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1441874)

hscannon 09-10-2012 01:15 PM

Blood in expressed milk.

Has anyone experienced bleeding while pumping? I had to purchase a new AC adaptor for my Medela PISA several weeks ago and now my pump is super strong even on the lowest setting! It doesn't happen every day but I've had several episodes of bleeding while pumping. I don't have any visible nipple trauma, but pumping has been more painful since using the new power cord. Anyone ever have a similar problem? I breast fed my first child for 15 months and pumped at work three times a day for most of that time, and never experienced this issue. My son is now 5 months old and I've been pumping at work with him for the past 3 months.

Thanks in Advance!

Treasures From Elf 09-10-2012 07:17 PM

Re: Blood in expressed milk.

The blood is from some sore of trauma or blister. But, I haven't experienced the pain on any setting.

:hugs:

mommaagain 09-10-2012 07:30 PM

Blood at this stage doesn't sound normal to me. It could possibly be too strong suction, but I would call an MD to investigate just in case. Also, call Medela about finding someone to check the function of your pump.

BuckeyeHokieMommy 09-25-2012 06:20 PM

I would also call Medela first, they may be able to talk you through some troubleshooting over the phone. I called them once when I lost suction, and they were able to walk me through to get it working again.

I got blood in my expressed milk once when my little guy bit me the night before. Even a little trauma can cause blood. Sometimes the baby's saliva can change when they are teething (or when they are starting new foods), which can damage nipple tissue.

I called my lactation consultant about it when it happened to me, and she said that the milk was fine to give my little man (because that's what he would have gotten if he were on the breast). She wasn't sure about freezing it and then re-using, but freshly expressed was just fine in her opinion.

Good luck!

emccl 10-18-2012 12:29 PM

I exclusively pumped for DD and there were several times that I ended up with blood in the milk... Both the dr and the head of lactation at the hospital where I work said it was fine to feed the baby that milk, even if it looked gruesome. Since the bleeding tended to taper off during the pumping session and it kind of grossed me out, I would pump for a little, discard the milk with the most blood in it (usually only about 1/2 oz), and then finish pumping... the remaining milk would only end up with a slight pink tinge.