Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help! 16 month old nap issues (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1441883)

wkocher19 09-10-2012 01:29 PM

Help! 16 month old nap issues

So I recently (almost 2 weeks ago) transitioned my almost 16 month old DD to one nap a day. She was fighting her two naps & not sleeping as well at night so it seemed like the thing to do. And she does great staying up the whole morning, not a problem. I put her down after lunch, usually around 12:30p. She goes right to sleep but no matter what I do she will not sleep more than 1.5 hours!! Which may not seem like a big deal to some moms, but she starts to have meltdowns early evening and it sucks!!

Any suggestions on how to extend her naps?? Oh and btw, she almost always wakes up & immediately poops at the 1.5 hour mark so it's not like I can just leave her in her crib & hope she falls back asleep!

ChocoMeijin 09-10-2012 08:49 PM

I would try going back to 2 naps for a bit. Exactly the same thing happened to me last month with DS (he is 17m). Since he went back to 2 naps he is much happier and sleeps longer (3 hrs with 2 naps vs 1 hr with 1 nap!). I would just give it a try and then try the one nap again later. I heard it can take some time for them to fully transition and that some days are 2 nap days and some are 1 nap days. Good luck!

megenic 09-11-2012 06:15 AM

When mine started waking up too soon, I would listen very carefully to the monitor and would go in at the first sign of movement. I could usually get them back to sleep if I got in there fast enough. Both mine dropped naps altogether around 16 months though, so not too experienced in the nap department!

wkocher19 09-11-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChocoMeijin
I would try going back to 2 naps for a bit. Exactly the same thing happened to me last month with DS (he is 17m). Since he went back to 2 naps he is much happier and sleeps longer (3 hrs with 2 naps vs 1 hr with 1 nap!). I would just give it a try and then try the one nap again later. I heard it can take some time for them to fully transition and that some days are 2 nap days and some are 1 nap days. Good luck!

We are trying this today!! She went down for her morning nap just a few minutes ago & fell right to sleep. Thanks for the suggestion, maybe I was just too quick on the change!

wkocher19 09-11-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megenic
When mine started waking up too soon, I would listen very carefully to the monitor and would go in at the first sign of movement. I could usually get them back to sleep if I got in there fast enough. Both mine dropped naps altogether around 16 months though, so not too experienced in the nap department!

You mean that didn't take a nap at all during the day after 16 months?! Holy crap, I think I would go insane. I hope your kids don't get super cranky in the late afternoon/early evening like mine does if she doesn't get a good nap..

megenic 10-07-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkocher19

You mean that didn't take a nap at all during the day after 16 months?! Holy crap, I think I would go insane. I hope your kids don't get super cranky in the late afternoon/early evening like mine does if she doesn't get a good nap..

No, they were find by the end of the day. My kids have always gone to bed at 7 and sleep for 12 hours so I assume that's why they no longer needed the nap. My barometer for naps is if they don't fall asleep in the car on a long drive in the middle of the day they are totally done with them :-) I actually prefer no naps because then I am not tied to the house for 2 hours in the middle of the day. My kids would never sleep anywhere but their beds, despite me trying to get them to sleep in the car or stroller or carrier :-(

EmilytheStrange 10-07-2012 05:21 PM

Re: Help! 16 month old nap issues

What happens if you change her butt and puts her back down?