Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   3rd labors resemble 1st? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1441896)

Caz 09-10-2012 01:54 PM

3rd labors resemble 1st?

During a recent appointment, one of our midwives told my husband and I that with a third pregnancy, the labor tended to look more like the first than the second. This isn't consistent with what I've heard/ready before, which was always that each labor had a tendency to be a bit shorter. Obviously, there are exceptions to this, but I had never heard that labor #3 was more like #1 - has anyone else??

I was a bit disappointed to hear this, given that my second labor was just under 4 hours, and I am perfectly happy to have a repeat of that labor, or even a shorter one for #3 :giggle2:

MotherMoonPads 09-10-2012 02:02 PM

Re: 3rd labors resemble 1st?

Not with me. My first labor was 8.5 hours, my third was almost 24.

Caz 09-10-2012 02:12 PM

Boo! Not what I want to hear! :yuck: :giggle:

I'm going to put you in the "exception" category. :giggle2:

Kiliki 09-10-2012 02:23 PM

lol

I've never heard that but when I read it, a light bulb went off in my head.

With my first, I started leaking amniotic fluid early int he day, before lunch time. I was admitted to the hospital that afternoon and labored all day. Hit a point of utter exhaustion at 4cm, fell asleep, out cold, woke up an hour later at 10cm and gave birth 30 mins later at 4am.

With my third, I could tell my fluid was leaking (I KNOW it was!) early in the day, before lunchtime. I labored throughout the day, DH came home from work, I called my MW but I wasn't that far along (only 3cm). I hit my utter exhaustion point and fell asleep, woke up ready to get in the tub and had a baby an hour later at 3:30am.

So, yea they were very similar! i didn't even think about it till now!

FWIW - my 2nd labor was 1.5 hrs. Woke up at 6am to a POP! Got up, had hard immediate contractions, and had a baby at 7:30am.

bezbabe 09-10-2012 02:53 PM

yeah, i guess it did for me. my first i was induced after my water broke a week before my due date. my second, i went into spontaneous labour on my due date and my third, i was induced after my water broke at 38 weeks. they were all different lengths but i attribute that to my using epo and rrl with the last 2. so what does your dr say about 4th labours? lol!

luvsgreen 09-10-2012 03:02 PM

I have never heard that. Mine have been progressively shorter, but they aren't short.
DD1-20hours
DD2-13hours- was stuck sunnyside up for hours and couldn't rotate well enough
DD3-9 hours

What I have been told is that the third is a wild card, it can go either way, and there isn't a definite pattern of third labors. I was lucky and it was shorter.

Fishie Kisses 09-10-2012 03:13 PM

It's hard to say for me since I was induced with #1...my 3rd was NOTHING like it. I have short labors tho, and they do get shorter every time. #1 was 6 hours from first pitocin drip to here. #2 was 5 hours from water break to here. #3 was 4 hours from first strong contraction to here.

weesej 09-10-2012 07:07 PM

Okay..here is my experience

#1 12 hour labor, 2 hour pushing..9 lb
#2 2 hour labor, 2 pushes..9lb
#3 3.5 hour labor...extremely gentle waterbirth, 3 pushes..10.5 lb!!!
#4 6 hour labor, preemie with a malposition 4.5 lb....harder than the 10 lber:)
#5 24 hour labor...hardest birth, 7 lb baby
#6 1 hour labor, 1 push..Dr missed..9 lb
#7 3 hour labor, 1 push..Dr got on 1 glove 8.5 lb
#8 2 hour labor, 1 push...Dr was a little more prepared;) 9 lb

Nerissa 09-10-2012 08:41 PM

Well this is number 3 for me and so far nothing of this pregnancy has been like the first.

DS1-- water started leaking and I was 4 cm dialated at 36 weeks. Broke that evening at 5:30 he was born at 8:30. Has some help with pitocin

Babe #3-- I am 38 weeks today. Started dialating at 35 weeks. We will see what happens at my appointment tomorrow

Sugar&SpiceX3 09-10-2012 09:03 PM

My first was iduction for pre-e and was 14 hrs. Second was 4 hours. Third was not "active" labor for a few hours, irregular and not really painful. Water broke and 6 contractions and 1/2 hr later she was here. Dr only caught her on the way out. Easiest birth by far. I have said that if they were all like that I would have a ton more. lol Probably wouldn't make it to the hospital.