Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Do you think people take you less seriously as a career woman when you're pregnant? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1441899)

keonli 09-10-2012 02:02 PM

Do you think people take you less seriously as a career woman when you're pregnant?

Just curious how you working mamas feel about this. :goodvibes:

Shimpie 09-10-2012 02:41 PM

Re: Do you think people take you less seriously as a career woman when you're pregnan

I suppose it depends on the career. I work with engineers and construction workers. When I first got started in my career, I honestly thought no one would take me seriously and I'd have to be mean. That was WAY before I was pregnant. My concerns were just in my head. The engineers took me seriously. The foremen and construction workers all followed my recommnedations and I never once had to crack the whip. None of that changed when I was pregnant either. If anything, I worked it to my advantage and everyone scrambled to fulfill my instructions. They did do a double take when a very pregnant woman would hop out of a very muddy off-road vehicle on a busy construction site. I'm not sure if my hot pink hard hat helped or not.:mrgreen:

marvelous 09-10-2012 02:49 PM

Re: Do you think people take you less seriously as a career woman when you're pregnan

I thin k I'm pretty much seen the same. If anything, students and colleagues seem to think more of me as I show up, teach my classes and do everything I would normally due until close to the time for the baby to arrive.

Van1300 09-10-2012 05:16 PM

I'm 29 weeks pregnant and I am a hospice social worker. Most of my patients are shocked to see me out in their homes doing what I am doing, but they appreciate it. My co-workers have been relatively supportive. My manager never had kids so she is sorta missing that 'mothering instinct' and always seems to ask or say things that make me feel a little awkward. But oh well.

scwendy 09-11-2012 05:53 AM

I am very fortunate to work in a very family friendly agency and office specifically.

We have had multiple people come in for interviews for promotions during their maternity leave and get those promotions (positions they took over upon their return), so it definitely is not a hindrance.

DottieHarley 09-11-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpie
I suppose it depends on the career. I work with engineers and construction workers.:

yeah that
I work in a very white-male-dominated industry so there's always been this feeling of having to prove myself - that I know what I am talking about and can "hang." i was very surprised NOT to find a lot of chauvinism while pg - mostly bc everyone's chivalry chips kicked in. My colleagues still like to joke about finding me on top of ladders, peering into dark holes at 9 mos.

Nerissa 09-12-2012 06:32 AM

I work with a bunch of women and a small group of truck drivers. I never had any problems. Infact just the opposite, not sure if I remind the drivers of their daughter or what but they all very supportive. Alsways asking me how I am feeling, willing to help me move things if it is too akward ect.

This is the 3rd pregnancy with this group so we all know each other pretty well. They love to give me a hard time about being cranky ect (which I am) and I have no problems with that. We easly all joke around.

keonli 09-12-2012 06:37 AM

I think I'm mixing up the fact that I work in a caring office environment where they ask me daily about my baby plans and pregnancy with my office thinking I'm getting incompetent because of my pregnancy. I like to think I'm still capable and remain career-focused, but that's hard to do when I have to stop and gush about Baby.

Nerissa 09-12-2012 09:13 AM

I will admit that by this time my focus is definatly not on work.

I spent 2 weeks, about 2 weeks ago, getting everying in order and all my work done and ahead to cover my self to the end of October (easier on my boss for when I am gone) anticipating another baby that would come early. Well I am still here two weeks later with 99% of my work done.

Working with a bunch of women (grandparent age) I spend a lot of time talking about and being asked about the baby ect. Everyone is very excited and impatiently waiting just like me.

Kimmyann 09-12-2012 06:00 PM

I find that people in my office treat pregnant ladies with respect and seriously however in my experience its after the kid arrives that the issues pop up. There is alot of jealousy in my office regarding parents taking time off to be with sick kids, go to activities and what not. I don't get it..we have to use our vacation time to do this so its not like we are getting a free ride and a day off. Those who make comments use the same vacation time up just in different ways.