Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Twin mamas: refusal to birth in the OR (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442032)

Sarah7464 09-10-2012 08:15 PM

Twin mamas: refusal to birth in the OR

Hi mamas,

I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant with mono/di twin boys. I'm desperately looking for an ob that will vaginally deliver twins. It seems, however, that in my state the hospitals require twin mamas to birth in the operating room. For many reasons the idea of this makes me extremely uncomfortable. I'm just wondering if any of you have managed to get around delivering in the or with your twins?

Free Thinker 09-10-2012 09:22 PM

Re: Twin mamas: refusal to birth in the OR

Yes, I did. A few things worked my my favor... It was my 3rd pregnancy, it was healthy and babies were full term (37w3d), the OR was literally across the hall and it was left empty until both babies were born and I was okay. I did have an epidural (and was glad I did). My Dr. knew the kind of birth I wanted, and worked hard to give it to me. They had everything ready shoudl I need the OR, but since they knew I was self-pay, it saved me a LOT of $$ to labor in the regular room. I think if it were my first birth, or if I had any health problems at all they would have made me labor in the OR.

Funnily enough, my SIL had been in labor all day long and not dilated at ALL, not even enough to break her water. I came in, check in said 4:05, but I got there a little earlier than that. Things got going for me, but they decided to give my SIL a c-section since she had absolutely no change in almost 24 hours of labor. We were in a race, and my SIL was going to win LOL. They were going to do her in the OR, but came in to check me first to make sure they had enough time (9, and almost ready to push, sorry). They told my brother and SIL they were sorry, but they had to leave the OR ready for the twin mom down the hall... He replied "That's my sister!" Then they took the warmer from his room to mine ;) We were in a race... my babies were born at 6:40 and 7:07... my niece was born at 7:50 via c-section. So, I was only there about 3 hours before my babies were there safely, vaginally and in a regular delivery room.

It really wasn't a normal delivery, though. They had an US machine to watch twin B after twin A was out (he flipped sideways and stuck his arm out), the Dr. had to stick his hand in, push the arm back up and flip baby head down. That twin needed a vaccuum to help, he just wasnt' in the right position and I couldn't seem to push for a while. WHen he got in the right position, I was able to push him out, but it took a few minutes. I don't know how many people were in the room, I know that the OB, ped. and anethesiologist were all there. My SIL's Dr. was also waiting in the hall incase they needed another Dr. I had them at shift change, so my room was FULL of nurses, I know 15-ish people were in the tiny delivery room watching, waiting, some I could see, others were behind the curtain incase they were needed. I had a nurse, each baby had a nurse, and there were also nurses to help the Dr. One nurses job was to keep the US machine on the baby, another was handing teh Dr. the things he needed, the baby nurses were waiting w/ the Ped by the warmers... it was hectic to say the least.

HeatherlovesCDs 09-11-2012 06:48 AM

I've had 2 vaginal deliveries of twins, both in the OR. I've been around a LOT of twin moms and even mod for a twin forum. I've met a few moms here and there who didn't birth in the OR, like Free Thinker who I've known since my being pregnant with my first set of twins 5 years ago, but almost all birth in the OR. However, I have known lots of moms to birth twins vaginally. C-sec are more common, but definitely don't have to be the norm for twins.

That said, I had no issues being in the OR. It didn't bother me and wasn't big deal. It was literally just for pushing and delivering and it was fast. The first time, they were having a bit of an issue getting the OR set up with a "double set-up," set up for a vaginal delivery and a c-sec JIC. I had to wait on the bed in the doorway of my labor room for a while and I almost delivered there. I told them several times that baby A was coming whether they got me in there or not. I think I pushed once to get her out and she was out within a couple minutes of getting in there. I also had an epidural with both of the sets. I can't say I'm glad I did because I react very strongly to them and not in a good way, but it did make it less painful.

The one thing I don't like about the OR....only 1 support person allowed in most cases. There are a LOT of people in there and they feel there just isn't room in all the chaos for anyone "extra." I am very close to my mom and she has been at all my deliveries along with my husband except for my first set of twins. With my first set, my OB would not budge and let my mom in with us. So, after baby A was born, my husband was over with the baby and I was with the nurses. I felt a bit abandoned, even though that is what I would have had him to do. He came back for baby B, but still. The second set, I had a different, much more laid back OB. He let my mom in and it was much better.

IMO, much more important than birthing in the OR is getting an OB who FULLY supports a vaginal delivery. And, if you agree with it and want it, one who supports a vaginal delivery even if baby B is not head down. It can be hard to find, especially in some areas of the country. For my first set, I thought I had one. He mislead me and I didn't know the exact questions to ask him. When I first met with him, I should have directly asked, "What if baby B is breech or not head down?" I should have been more specific in my questioning of his support of twins vaginally. As it turns out, I almost had a c-sec because baby B was breech when I went into labor and he would not do a vaginal delivery even though I wanted one. Luckily, baby B turned in labor. (It was cool, we watched on u/s.) My OB wasn't happy about it. It suddenly became very clear he preferred I have a c-sec even if they were head down. I found out after the fact that he is a very c-sec happy OB and it was basically a miracle that he delivered my babies vaginally. I changed for the next set of twins. The OB I had with the next set of twins is literally the ONLY OB in the area who prefers to deliver twins vaginally and will do it even if baby B is not head down. He even did a VBAC with twins (not mine, obviously). He is awesome! I would have preferred him over anyone else even if someone else was willing to say he would deliver in the L&D "under the right circumstances." So, you just have to keep looking and ask the right questions. If not being in the OR is important to you, you may have to look closely at hospitals too. It is usually hospital policy and not the OB's choice. It was at my hospital. My second OB would have gladly let me deliver in the L&D room if he could have. He did bend the rules to get my mom in though. :wub:

Good luck!!!

Free - I don't remember your SIL being in labor at the same time. That's so funny and cool! Congrats on winning! How ironic that you had the vag delivery with twins and she had to have a c-sec for one. That's opposite of how it usually works. ;)

foxynursejo 09-11-2012 07:00 AM

I delivered in the OR, it wasn't a big deal to me.. my dr. knew my wishes for a vag unmedicated birth and that's what was important to me.

TwinMommaplus2 09-11-2012 09:48 AM

We didnt end up in the OR till I was pushing, so it was litterally less than 30 min from the time we got in there till we were moving out of there.
They had us in a room as close to the OR as you can get and with the risk involved with delivering twins vaginally, I was much more content in the OR with a team of people ready to care for my twinkies should anything had gone sour.:goodvibes:

We went term with babies who needed NO kind of NICU time. Amen for that. :hugs:

:babybata: 09-20-2012 03:59 PM

We went to the OR when I started pushing. I would have rather been there in case of an emergency.

meesh38 09-21-2012 09:31 AM

With both sets, they had me labor in the room next to the OR, then went into the OR for pushing. I felt safe knowing we were prepared if something happened. They still put babies on my chest and let me hold them.

ziursrm 09-22-2012 06:03 PM

I had my twins caginally in a free standing birth center with midwives. If I had been in. A hospital I would have likely refused being in an OR for birth. So you just have to gage how important it is to you.

themamageek 09-22-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Free Thinker (Post 15665426)
Yes, I did. A few things worked my my favor... It was my 3rd pregnancy, it was healthy and babies were full term (37w3d), the OR was literally across the hall and it was left empty until both babies were born and I was okay. I did have an epidural (and was glad I did). My Dr. knew the kind of birth I wanted, and worked hard to give it to me. They had everything ready shoudl I need the OR, but since they knew I was self-pay, it saved me a LOT of $$ to labor in the regular room. I think if it were my first birth, or if I had any health problems at all they would have made me labor in the OR.

Funnily enough, my SIL had been in labor all day long and not dilated at ALL, not even enough to break her water. I came in, check in said 4:05, but I got there a little earlier than that. Things got going for me, but they decided to give my SIL a c-section since she had absolutely no change in almost 24 hours of labor. We were in a race, and my SIL was going to win LOL. They were going to do her in the OR, but came in to check me first to make sure they had enough time (9, and almost ready to push, sorry). They told my brother and SIL they were sorry, but they had to leave the OR ready for the twin mom down the hall... He replied "That's my sister!" Then they took the warmer from his room to mine ;) We were in a race... my babies were born at 6:40 and 7:07... my niece was born at 7:50 via c-section. So, I was only there about 3 hours before my babies were there safely, vaginally and in a regular delivery room.

It really wasn't a normal delivery, though. They had an US machine to watch twin B after twin A was out (he flipped sideways and stuck his arm out), the Dr. had to stick his hand in, push the arm back up and flip baby head down. That twin needed a vaccuum to help, he just wasnt' in the right position and I couldn't seem to push for a while. WHen he got in the right position, I was able to push him out, but it took a few minutes. I don't know how many people were in the room, I know that the OB, ped. and anethesiologist were all there. My SIL's Dr. was also waiting in the hall incase they needed another Dr. I had them at shift change, so my room was FULL of nurses, I know 15-ish people were in the tiny delivery room watching, waiting, some I could see, others were behind the curtain incase they were needed. I had a nurse, each baby had a nurse, and there were also nurses to help the Dr. One nurses job was to keep the US machine on the baby, another was handing teh Dr. the things he needed, the baby nurses were waiting w/ the Ped by the warmers... it was hectic to say the least.

Oh how crazy, a triple family birthday in the same hospital and almost within the same hour!