Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adoption and Foster Care (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Cloth diapering and foster care? To do it or not to do it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442141)

hac1224 09-11-2012 07:38 AM

Cloth diapering and foster care? To do it or not to do it?

I'm an experienced cloth diaper mom, so I know the pros and cons of cloth diapering in general, but what about while working with foster care? I know sending cloth on visits is not a good idea, but what are the pros and cons of using cloth on a foster child while in my care? Do you/have you done it?

FYI: I use cloth because I like it, plus my youngest have allergy issues with sposies. I don't do it now that DD is potty training, because for some reason I no longer like CDing once they are an older toddler.:blush: For me disposables aren't wicked and awful, it's just a preference. I have a huge cloth stash I had planned to use if we had a miracle baby post-vasectomy, but I'm just not sure what I want to do while fostering.

abunchoflemons 09-11-2012 08:45 AM

Re: Cloth diapering and foster care? To do it or not to do it?

If u have I would if u like cding. If u are going to have more too in ur house in dupes it will save u $.

newmommy13 09-11-2012 09:34 AM

I have with 2 of my placements but the third was a newborn and bios would have freaked out if there was any red marks or a rash or anything so I didnt bother. Both babies that I did CD were fine, no problems. Its the same as CD ing bio babies but you will have to get sposies to put on when you send kiddos on visits. Its no big deal imo.

WynneBabies 09-11-2012 09:45 AM

I have part time with all my placements (except for one who wasn't here even a week). It's always an experiment to see what works best. I've had one who was more rashy with cloth so we didn't use it as much, but my last two have done well. I've been using cloth on and off for almost 10 years and used exclusively cloth with my fourth. I figure I have it do might as well use it when I feel like it. When a baby leaves, I super clean the diapers on sanitary (washing twice) and use a bit of bleach. I typically don't do all that so I figure it gets them ready for storage to await the next baby.

Chris10 09-11-2012 12:02 PM

I CD all foster children that are in diapers.

luvsviola 09-11-2012 08:51 PM

I used cloth on my foster son, but send sposies to DCS/visits.

~*~Sunflower~*~ 09-11-2012 09:46 PM

I did cloth part time with 2 of my foster babies. With our temporary placement I don't think I did.
I just started buying diapers since we should be licensed soon. Lots of cloth, but some disposables, too.

During training they read the list of what foster placements should have in regard to clothing, and for babies they mentioned a certain amount of cloth diapers OR disposables. The trainer stated "but who uses cloth diapers anymore?!", then said we could use the monthly clothes stipend to buy diapers. DH very loudly remarked to me "disposables! They mean disposables!" LOL.

reesie 09-11-2012 10:50 PM

I CD all 3 of mine and now all the fosters:) good experiences so far. I also sent Huggies to visit (which irritates me:)) but I dont want to give the bios anything more to complain about. If they have an issue with it, Im not interested in hearing about it:) I'm not about to be told to not CD:)) I also have beena foster mom for 23 yrs (while raising my own crop :) of boys) so while I have tons of love left in my heart for the babies, my tolerance for bio. parents complaints is well not so much:))

millermyer2 09-12-2012 06:54 AM

I just got our first placement a week ago! I am not CDing right now but hope to once thing settle into a routine!

newmommy13 09-12-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reesie (Post 15670173)
I CD all 3 of mine and now all the fosters:) good experiences so far. I also sent Huggies to visit (which irritates me:)) but I dont want to give the bios anything more to complain about. If they have an issue with it, Im not interested in hearing about it:) I'm not about to be told to not CD:)) I also have beena foster mom for 23 yrs (while raising my own crop :) of boys) so while I have tons of love left in my heart for the babies, my tolerance for bio. parents complaints is well not so much:))

lol im finding this to be true after only 3 placements! :giggle2: 23 years! thats awesome!