Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Homemade Christmas gift ideas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442339)

corinne76 09-11-2012 02:28 PM

Homemade Christmas gift ideas?
 
It's that time again.
What are your best ideas? I'm specifically looking for a 5 y/o girl who loves dolls (maybe clothes for her dolls-but IDK if I"m that skilled at sewing), and a almost 2 y/o boy. oh and teacher gifts would be awesome!

I'm thinking of making superhero capes for my kids as well as mu BFF's DS. but after that I'm out of ideas LOL.

lensesforeyes 09-11-2012 03:18 PM

At 2y/o my DS got a metal Tonka dump truck. He will be 4y/o on Sunday and still constantly plays with it. No batteries, and it's not plastic junk. In fact, all my kids love it.

Does the 5y/o like doing crafts? When my ODD was that age, craft kits, beads, starter sewing sets, paints, markers, etc. were a HUGE hit. Also fun because we could do them with her.

Homemade play dough is cheap and fun.

ETA: totally did not see this said homemade, sorry!

corinne76 09-11-2012 03:37 PM

Re: Homemade Christmas gift ideas?
 
craft kits are a great idea! she loves anything arts and crafts right now

kalasin 09-11-2012 06:50 PM

Re: Homemade Christmas gift ideas?
 
You can easily "make" a craft kit at the dollar store. I nanny, and I stock up there. Pipe cleaners, buttons, ink, bingo daubers ("marker paint!" lol), beads, construction paper, glue, crayons, scissors, etc and while you're there get some plastic cases to make her playdough (and glitter, for crafts and play dough).

corinne76 09-11-2012 07:07 PM

Re: Homemade Christmas gift ideas?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalasin (Post 15669379)
You can easily "make" a craft kit at the dollar store. I nanny, and I stock up there. Pipe cleaners, buttons, ink, bingo daubers ("marker paint!" lol), beads, construction paper, glue, crayons, scissors, etc and while you're there get some plastic cases to make her playdough (and glitter, for crafts and play dough).

great idea! we don't have super great $ stores here, but I can put together something. and the best part, I can put it in the craft closet after she opens it so there's less junk thrown around in her room :thumbsup:


eta: any ideas for a 6 month old girl?

lensesforeyes 09-11-2012 07:27 PM

Re: Homemade Christmas gift ideas?
 
For a six month old, I have no idea the cost, so not really sure if it is thrifty or not, but you could make cloth teethers with the crinkly stuff in it, and different textured cloth.

KrisM 09-11-2012 08:20 PM

Re: Homemade Christmas gift ideas?
 
If you want to make things for the doll, there are options other than clothes - sleeping bag, pillow, purse, etc. My DD loves the 'stuff' more than clothes still, and she's 6.

jjordan 09-11-2012 08:21 PM

Re: Homemade Christmas gift ideas?
 
I made some felt cookies for a baby shower a few months ago, and my 6 year old girl was IN LOVE with them. A 5 year old who likes dolls might enjoy them for doll tea parties (& other pretend play). Here is the blog I used for inspiration.

nebraskamom 09-11-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Homemade Christmas gift ideas?
 
You could make a "fort in a bag", or a fishing game, or even a waldorf doll.


Here is a link to some homemade gifts that I'm using this year. The link for how to make the fort in a bag doesn't work anymore, but you can just google pinterest fort in a bag and it shows up. It's basically two queen sheets, a set of clothes pins, rope, and a flashlight. Then you can pack them all in a pillowcase for a carrying bag. Super easy!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1402376

corinne76 09-11-2012 09:13 PM

Re: Homemade Christmas gift ideas?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisM (Post 15669779)
If you want to make things for the doll, there are options other than clothes - sleeping bag, pillow, purse, etc. My DD loves the 'stuff' more than clothes still, and she's 6.

great idea! she's been making a house out of an old diaper box. I wonder if I can make her some sort of house or something? But the bedding stuff and even the purse would be awesome

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjordan (Post 15669788)
I made some felt cookies for a baby shower a few months ago, and my 6 year old girl was IN LOVE with them. A 5 year old who likes dolls might enjoy them for doll tea parties (& other pretend play). Here is the blog I used for inspiration.

Cute! I love felt food but she's more into dressing up the dolls at the moment. I may make some anyway though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nebraskamom (Post 15669960)
You could make a "fort in a bag", or a fishing game, or even a waldorf doll.



Here is a link to some homemade gifts that I'm using this year. The link for how to make the fort in a bag doesn't work anymore, but you can just google pinterest fort in a bag and it shows up. It's basically two queen sheets, a set of clothes pins, rope, and a flashlight. Then you can pack them all in a pillowcase for a carrying bag. Super easy!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1402376

That fishing game is cute. I wonder who I could make that for ????

Quote:

Originally Posted by lensesforeyes (Post 15669536)
For a six month old, I have no idea the cost, so not really sure if it is thrifty or not, but you could make cloth teethers with the crinkly stuff in it, and different textured cloth.

Thanks!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors