Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Couldn't find the heartbeat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442396)

Adinanna'sMomma 09-11-2012 05:01 PM

Couldn't find the heartbeat?

My 18 year old SIL just went in for her first visit today. Her LMP was the end of June, so she went in expecting to be 9 weeks some odd days today. I haven't talked to her yet, just got the abbreviated rundown via text from MIL, but she says she is only 6.5 weeks, and they couldn't find the heartbeat via transvaginal ultrasound. She said the dr said its not uncommon this early to not detect the heartbeat this early. As far as the crazy dates, I know the discrepancy sounds bad but SIL has very irregular periods so maybe that could explain the difference in times. What do y'all think? Is this a bad sign or have you had similar experiences that led to healthy, normal pregnancies? Should we worry? She has another ultrasound next week, but that's a long time to be stressing about it!! Any thoughts?

sisu 09-11-2012 05:20 PM

When did she first get a + test?

Adinanna'sMomma 09-11-2012 05:33 PM

Last Sunday, September 2nd, I think.

nicolemariep 09-11-2012 05:39 PM

Re: Couldn't find the heartbeat?

Yeah, if she didn't get a BFP until a little over a week ago, I really wouldn't be worried. Younger women can have more irregular cycles (as it seems she does). My cycles are so wacky that if I went by LMP my due dates would be off by up to 4 weeks. Sucks to have to wait a week, but I bet there's a good chance that everything is fine.

sterlids 09-11-2012 05:42 PM

not a bad sign at all. i have pcos and my lmp was 26 may yet i'm only 12 weeks tomorrow. with pcos you have irregular cycles and nobody knows when you actually ovulate. if she got her first positive on the 2nd it's likely that she was about 4 or 5 weeks then. it sounds very similar to the beginning of this pregnancy for me.

JennTheMomma 09-11-2012 05:44 PM

Sounds too early to me. Most OB/MWs here don't even try to find the heartbeat that early or do early u/s because it makes people worried if they don't see/hear a heartbeat yet.

Adinanna'sMomma 09-11-2012 05:52 PM

Thanks for the responses! Y'all are making us feel better about it. It's gonna be a long week though!

sisu 09-11-2012 07:05 PM

Sounds like there's a good chance that everything is OK! I was still nursing DS when I got pregnant with DD, I must have O'd about 2 weeks later than I should have because my dating U/S was 2 weeks different than my guess based on LMP. It was a scary couple of weeks, but she's currently snuggled up next to me! :) Good luck to you all. :)

songbird516 09-11-2012 08:55 PM

We heard the heartbeat at 11 weeks but even then the midwife wasn't sure that she would be able to. I've never had an ultrasound that early, though..I hope everything is okay :)

TwinMommaplus2 09-11-2012 09:58 PM

I have had all by u/s's by that time with my OB and was able to see the h/b (after he said dont expect too) and Ive heard (like here) plenty of women who have not.... it sounds like things (with her PCOS and lmp could work for baby bean!):thumbsup: