Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Healthy grab-able breakfast stuff (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442626)

Mama*Kim 09-12-2012 11:36 AM

Healthy grab-able breakfast stuff

If you read my other thread about looking for healthier dinners, you probably know what I'm after. DH is a very unhealthy eater. He never eats breakfast during the week, lunch is usually whatever he grabs at a convenience store if he eats at all. Then he comes home and inhales anything in front of him when he gets home around 5. He's barely hungry for dinner, then eats junk again right before bed. I've already started with healthier dinners, but now I need him eating better the rest of the day.

He doesn't like to eat first thing in the morning, so breakfast needs to go with him (he leaves for work at 4:30). He's a truck driver, so there's no fridge or microwave. I'm trying to find a variety of things I can prep/bake/freeze/whatever ahead of time so he can grab a few things to eat throughout the day. Maybe hearty muffins, protein bars, etc. The two biggest concerns for him are minimizing cholesterol and sodium. I'll have veggie sticks and fruit available for him too.

Thanks!

swrlgrl105 09-12-2012 11:44 AM

Re: Healthy grab-able breakfast stuff

there are some great recipies out there for making your own protein bars if you google it. I have seen some that look super yummy though I havent yet gotten around to trying it myself. Those would be decent for breakfast or snack.

Another healthy snack option is homemade fruit leather. I have done this before. Puree fruit, line an edged cookie sheet with wax paper or plastic wrap, pour the puree in, and put in the oven (about 150-200 degrees) with the door cracked for several hours... It acts as kind of a dehydrator if you dont have one. It wont melt the liner either. Onces its done, peel it off and cut. :)

How about trail mix with lots of nuts, granola and dried fruit? maybe even a few m&m's. As few is better than a ton of junk food right? ;)

For breakfast, what about oatmeal in a thermos or even making a big batch of breakfast burritos to freeze, and thaw one out the night before... pop in in the micorwave before he leaves then put it in a thermos? It should keep it warm for a few hours :) That way he can just open the thermos and hold it to eat while he is driving.

LovNLife 09-12-2012 12:41 PM

You can make refrigerator oatmeal, homemade larabars(does not have any added sugar or salt), paleo waffles(they have higher protein content and no extra sugar) then you can just put peanut butter or nutella on them, hard boiled eggs, egg loafs(can be frozen), trail mix, premade egg mcmuffins, muffins(freeze large batches and take out the night before). If you go to www.thefoodee.com they have some good recipes that are good for you too. We follow the whole9 diet so we use that site a lot.

Hands&Fire Pottery 09-12-2012 09:14 PM

I was thinking the oatmeal in a thermos too... maybe with some apples or raisins? Would he eat sandwiches? Some people don't care if breakfast food is actually typical breakfast food, and a turkey sandwich would be easy to take and eat.

mel j 09-13-2012 11:45 AM

My husband likes some of the unhealthy stuff too (though he will eat a lot of the healthy stuff, but not all)

I'll sometimes stick things in the fridge or on the counter for him to take along with his lunch, like a little jar of nuts or fruit. He likes homemade granola bars with peanut butter. I was going to suggest overnight oatmeal too but my husband doesn't touch oatmeal usually unless it's in granola bars or granola. He loves plain Greek yogurt (either Chobani or Cabot brand) with a bit of raw honey, with or w/o homemade granola. I try to make it healthy but tasty still - using coconut oil etc.

I think I might try the paleo waffle idea sometime. I started using coconut flour recently and while I'm sure he still prefers the regular pancakes, he does like the coconut pancakes and they are so much healthier and filling! :) So that's something you could try, maybe. I've also done veggie sticks with hummus (usually carrots, celery and cucumber) and he'll eat those. Lately we've been doing a tomato/cucumber salad - not really breakfast, but at least it makes for a healthy lunch or snack that he enjoys :)

He likes banana muffins though he doesn't really like banana flavoured things. I've made them with whole wheat flour from the catcancook site and he likes them that way esp. with chocolate chips, even though he doesn't care for whole wheat flour usually. Not the healthiest, but still better than a lot of breakfast choices!

Oh I'll make quiche sometimes too in a pie plate, and there are always leftovers, so that's pretty easy to grab and microwave, and super healthy. I should start doing that again.

NYCVeg 09-13-2012 11:59 AM

I was also going to suggest sandwiches. There are plenty of "breakfasty" options: almond butter and banana on whole wheat; turkey bacon, lettuce, and tomato; veggie omelette, etc. You can also do eggs and veggies (and whatever else he'd like) in a wrap.

Funky Birdie Boutique 09-14-2012 11:21 PM

I second Lara bars! There are so many fun flavor combos you can google! My kids love em too!! And pretty easy to make

I also have a new love of muffins, did banana bread muffins, spread with peanut butter so yummy and easy and protein in there too ( I did oh she glows' recipe) also you can do mini baked omelettes in the muffin tins, so they are eat-out-of-hand'able. Fill em with all the egg faves! And then today I did mini deep dish pizzas in muffin tins, you can customize each one differently if u want, use any pizza dough recipe u love and toppings too! Ooh also my SIL just found a great ww muffin mix base recipe then u make em any way u want-blueberry, apple cinnamon, she did peaches and cream-yummy! I can get that for u if u want :D

NorwexMa 09-17-2012 10:06 AM

Great ideas! My hubby is same as OP- (occasionally) drives truck and doesn't like to take the time to grab something out of the house before he leaves, but then when he's crazy hungry, he stops at a convience store (which takes more time and $) and gets a bunch of unhealthy food. :banghead:
Muffins are great, but could be rather crumbly, and DH don't like a mess in the truck, and *gasp* likes to be able to eat while driving if he doesn't get chance to stop. I like the thermos idea!

Just Ducky 09-18-2012 07:57 PM

You can make a quick raw apple porridge as follows:

Pulse 1/4c cashews in a food processor
Add 1 TBSP ground flax seed, one chopped apple, and a squirt of lemon juice.
Drizzle a bit of honey or agave on top and pulse to combine.

Scoop it out into a bowl with a lid and sprinkle some raisins or dried cranberries or blueberries or whatever else on top. Put the lid on it and stick it in the fridge with a spoon on top.