Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sleep Issues (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442727)

SarahS12 09-12-2012 03:57 PM

Sleep Issues

DS is about 10 months old. I work 50 hours a week, varied shifts and DH is home with him. This will most likely be changing in the next 6 months where I will be at home and DH working. Currently, DS won't go to sleep for the night unless I nurse him down or DH rocks him to sleep and at that point I have to be next to him in bed or he wakes up pretty quickly. DH can't get him to nap without holding him the whole time and when he is able to put him down he will only stay asleep for a very short amount of time. DS generally won't sleep after I have gotten up for the day to get ready which is more often than not very early. We co sleep. Normally I would be fine with all this but it's getting to the point where DS isn't getting the amount of sleep he needs because his sleep schedule is so sporadic and varied and he isn't always getting the 14 hours a day. He acts tired all of the time.

DH needs to be able to get things done around the house during DS' naps but can't because he needs to be held the whole time. And yes, he has tried wearing him but it's simply not feasible for him anymore because he is so heavy at 27 lbs. I need to be able to have some wind down time with DH at night now and not have to be in bed at 7 with my baby because he can't sleep without me there.

I am fine with co sleeping but I need DS to be able to sleep by himself in bed or his crib and I don't see how I can fix that problem without ending the co sleeping as well. Any suggestions? Any good books anyone has read? Thanks in advance :)

SarahS12 09-17-2012 05:35 PM

Bump.

OHIOFIFI 09-17-2012 05:39 PM

Re: Sleep Issues

Your DS sounds like my DS. I wish I had an answer for us both and will be watching this thread to see if you get any good advise.

dancermommy1 09-18-2012 06:41 AM

I have just a couple suggestions/thoughts. First is, have you tried the dreaded swing? :) if your lo isn't too big for one, you might try that. Mine would sleep well for naps in his swing (though I think he had outgrown it by 10 mo).

Also, if he's not too big, swaddling might help him. I loved the miracle swaddler. I know some will think 10mo is too old, but some need it longer.

Try just easing him onto the bed or his crib. If you are nursing him down, try side-by-side nursing on the bed then detaching him and quietly slipping away after he is asleep. Use a big, firm stuffed animal or pillow to be your "placeholder" to simulate you still being there. When rocking him down, try easing him onto his crib or bed on his tummy (he's old enough now) and then continue to pat his bottom for a few minutes after the transition. You can also simulate rocking by gently jiggling him back and forth with your hands in a rocking motion once he's in the bed on his tummy.

Finally, mama, this too shall pass. And, you'll forget how hard it was. And it will pass faster than you think.

SaraElise 09-18-2012 08:44 AM

Our kids have gone through the needing to be touching someone to sleep phase, and it's frustrating, but they do get through it! I would try laying down with him and then sneaking away once he is asleep. He might wake up quickly at first, but after a while should sleep longer and longer stretches as he gets used to sleeping alone.

I also second sticking a firm pillow or something next to him (maybe a rolled up blanket?) to simulate you still being there. Sometimes my daughter just wanted something to lean up against. Now that she is a bit older she sleeps squished up next to the wall because she likes that support.

It is hard, but it won't last forever, just work at it slowly.

SarahS12 09-18-2012 08:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! He is too big for the swing sadly, that worked for awhile when he was littler. I think I will try the swaddle and see. I nurse him to sleep in bed every night and the crib is side car to it. It's like he feels the difference between the bed and crib mattress. Whenever we put him in the crib when he is asleep he starts flailing and kicking and rolling around haha.

l_Kimmie_l 09-18-2012 08:57 AM

My babies all did this and sadly, I just had to allow them to outgrow it. I finally bought a kindle to read or go online with while I am cosleeping. My LO is only 5 months, but I see this starting. I have to nurse him down, then shortly after I leave him, he wakes up looking for the boob. I then I go back up and nurse him again. I usually just stay up and watch TV, use the Kindle, or go to bed.

I know it is annoying, but I just look at it now as a short amount of time that will soon be done. I thought I would go crazy the first time I got nothing done all day or was in bed at 7 PM each night. Now I am just going with it.

SaraElise 09-18-2012 09:28 AM

My daughter HATED her crib, never slept a single night in it in her life. So around 1 we just put a twin mattress on the floor in her room and she sleeps SO much better there because it feels like a bed.

m0mof6 09-18-2012 09:54 AM

Ydd was like this until just recently. We held her for every nap and she wouldn't stay asleep by herself for long. We slowly increased the naps we laid her down for while continuing to hold her for at least one long nap.
While she still gets very upset to wake at night past 1am by herself (it's like she's got a clock) she has recently started "asking" to be put in her crib and going to sleep on her own. It was like a switch. One day 2 weeks ago I sat rocking her to sleep she climbed off my

m0mof6 09-18-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0mof6
Ydd was like this until just recently. We held her for every nap and she wouldn't stay asleep by herself for long. We slowly increased the naps we laid her down for while continuing to hold her for at least one long nap.
While she still gets very upset to wake at night past 1am by herself (it's like she's got a clock) she has recently started "asking" to be put in her crib and going to sleep on her own. It was like a switch. One day 2 weeks ago I sat rocking her to sleep she climbed off my

Sorry