Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   For those who make their own babyfood-a ?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144299)

3lilbubs 05-08-2007 04:31 PM

For those who make their own babyfood-a ??

My ds won't eat homemade bananna babyfood. I think it's the texture, mine's always sort of slimy (for lack of a better word-sorry) and turns brown before I can freeze it. What can I do? I've tried mashing it right there in front of him too. It's not that he doesn't like banannas b/c he'll eat the store bought! :( I use a food processor to blend it and scoop into freezer trays. Do you do anything different? TIA!

kaspears17 05-08-2007 05:30 PM

Re: For those who make their own babyfood-a ??

MY DS will only eat it if it's with cereal. Who knows. I buy the banana and the carrots (due to high nitrates) from the store - organic only, and he eats those. Everything else we make. If I made the bananas at home, i would mix with cereal (ground oats). now he's on chunks, he'll eat it if I let him "bite" off the whole. what a weirdo. :giggle:

mondoowolfe 05-08-2007 06:29 PM

A lot of times (because I hate looking at brown banana mush) I mixed DD's bananas with another fruit, like mango or something before I froze it. . . you can even add a little cereal to decrease the slime factor. She loved it!

KaiyaSue 05-08-2007 07:25 PM

It looks like my ds is about the same age... anyway, we've been working on self feeding now and he loves eating banana chunks himself. I think the jarred stuff tastes way different than fresh so maybe he just doesn't like it?

mommofboys3 05-08-2007 07:40 PM

bananas dont freeze well it might be that it taste weird after being frozen..

Distinctive Decals 05-08-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommofboys3 (Post 1057652)
bananas dont freeze well it might be that it taste weird after being frozen..

I'm thinking that could be the problem - I don't freeze banannas for that reason, I just mash them up as I need them. If you zap it in the microwave a few seconds and warm it up before you mash, it seems to mash a little more smoothly also.

3lilbubs 05-09-2007 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiyaSue (Post 1057607)
It looks like my ds is about the same age... anyway, we've been working on self feeding now and he loves eating banana chunks himself. I think the jarred stuff tastes way different than fresh so maybe he just doesn't like it?

Danny was born on the 23rd!:mrgreen: He's just starting to want to feed himself, but he's still a little gaggy since he hasn't got the whole gum-mashing thing down yet. That's probably what I'll wind up doing, just cutting a whole bananna up into bitty little bites. :)

3lilbubs 05-09-2007 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shandyms (Post 1058214)
I'm thinking that could be the problem - I don't freeze banannas for that reason, I just mash them up as I need them. If you zap it in the microwave a few seconds and warm it up before you mash, it seems to mash a little more smoothly also.

I didn't think about that, but you're right. I had bought some frozen peaches (no fresh in stores right now -waah!) to make some peach puree for him and they tasted so gross! I bet the banannas taste the same after being frozen. I'll try zapping it and see if that helps, thanks!

Guardandolaluna 05-09-2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs (Post 1058785)
Danny was born on the 23rd!:mrgreen: He's just starting to want to feed himself, but he's still a little gaggy since he hasn't got the whole gum-mashing thing down yet. That's probably what I'll wind up doing, just cutting a whole bananna up into bitty little bites. :)

Thats what we do. We cut it into little tiny bites. I mean REALLY small. Have you ever tried plantains? My daughter loves them:) Just buy them and slice them and saute them in a little olive oil. They have less sugar than regular bananas. You should not eat them raw. They are low in sodium and high in vitamin A, potassium and fiber. You don't really need to add anything to them. And they have that banana flavor. I have not had trouble freezing them either.

3lilbubs 05-09-2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mondoowolfe (Post 1057446)
A lot of times (because I hate looking at brown banana mush) I mixed DD's bananas with another fruit, like mango or something before I froze it. . . you can even add a little cereal to decrease the slime factor. She loved it!

Good idea, he loves applesauce I bet I could sneak some in there! He hates baby cereal tho, so that would be a double-ick for him, lol, my weird little guy. :)