Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   DH wants bread like you get at the store (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443027)

AutumnRose 09-13-2012 12:15 PM

DH wants bread like you get at the store

:banghead:

Am I the only one that expects homemade bread to be a little heavier? I have been working on making the bread lighter - found some italian bread recipes and basically just added more liquid and honestly the bread comes out :drif:!

Then I made a sour dough starter and that was even better!

But for some reason DH thinks that bread needs to be like what you buy in the store, he likes the other, but he wants it for more as a side thing at dinner.

Any ideas?

CMamma 09-13-2012 04:06 PM

Re: DH wants bread like you get at the store

What kind of bread do you make? I have a no-knead wheat bread recipe I can share. It's always been a hit with those that do consume wheat/gluten. I also have quite a few gluten free bread recipes like almond bread, rice bread, buckwheat, etc.

For good sammy bread, a simple way to get a good bread for lunches is to use a bread recipe & cook them like pancakes. I do this a lot with buckwheat, just adding extra eggs to make them rise a bit more, then I store them in a bread bag for the week & pull out a pancake for lunches, etc. I just pop them in the toaster for a second & then slice in half. It's like an english muffin, just not as hard/chewy on the outside.

happysmileylady 09-13-2012 04:25 PM

Have you tried some really flavored bread like they have at restaurants? Like a pumpernickel or something?

AutumnRose 09-13-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMamma (Post 15678227)
What kind of bread do you make? I have a no-knead wheat bread recipe I can share. It's always been a hit with those that do consume wheat/gluten. I also have quite a few gluten free bread recipes like almond bread, rice bread, buckwheat, etc.

For good sammy bread, a simple way to get a good bread for lunches is to use a bread recipe & cook them like pancakes. I do this a lot with buckwheat, just adding extra eggs to make them rise a bit more, then I store them in a bread bag for the week & pull out a pancake for lunches, etc. I just pop them in the toaster for a second & then slice in half. It's like an english muffin, just not as hard/chewy on the outside.

I'd love some recipes! Great idea about the pancake bread, how do you do that?

DH doesn't like flavored breads much, he basically wants white bread. But I can some times get away with whole wheat bread if it is stone ground.

CMamma 09-13-2012 06:54 PM

You could try rice flour in a bread to mimick the white bread, or a lighter grain/seed bread. Personally, I hated white bread b/c it's not got the nutrients as others, but it's what we're all used to, for the most part, growing up.

Here is my no-knead wheat bread recipe. I don't use it now since we have a gluten allergy, but it was great when I did eat it! :) I still make it for the neighbors sometimes.

1 c lukewarm water
1/4 c milk or juice
1/3 c melted butter, oil or flaxmeal mixture
3 tbsp molasses, maple syrup or honey
2 tsp instant yeast
1/4 c dry/powdered milk
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 c wholewheat flour

1. Combine (I mix mine in a stand mixer, but it doesn't really matter as long as you mix it).
2. Cover & let rise in greased loaf pan for 60-90 mins.
3. Uncover & bake at 350 degress for 40-35 mins.

I can try to post some other recipes another time when I'm not half asleep lol :)

As for the pancakes, just cook whatever bread recipe or biscuit recipe like you would pancakes. I think it's easier if the batter is a little thinner, but it's something you have to play around with to find what you like. I have some recipes, but they use buckwheat or other grainlike foods.

lakemom 09-14-2012 02:35 PM

Take your favorite recipe and add a couple of tablespoon fulls of 'Vital Wheat Gluten' to it. It makes it lighter/fluffier than without and it comes out more like "store bought."

wyldcat 09-14-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakemom (Post 15682772)
Take your favorite recipe and add a couple of tablespoon fulls of 'Vital Wheat Gluten' to it. It makes it lighter/fluffier than without and it comes out more like "store bought."

Yes I agree..that is what I do and my wheat breads especially come out soft and fluffy

Funky Birdie Boutique 09-14-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakemom (Post 15682772)

:yeahthat:
Or if you have a hard time finding vwg you can sub some or even all the flour for bread flour since its higher in gluten than apf and it REALLY helps lighten up ww breads!

Funky Birdie Boutique 09-14-2012 11:01 PM

Forgot to say I did my first no knead ww Sammy bread today, was worried dh would say something similar "just not what he's used to" etc, instead we had chick sal Sammies for dinner and he loved em, I can link to the rec. I used if u need :)

AutumnRose 09-15-2012 05:36 AM

Shopping day, going to see if I can find some Vital Wheat. I'll probably will also pick up a bag of bread flour just to be safe.

Funky Birdie, I'll take any recipes, right now Im testing everything I can get my hands on, I just want to find something DH and the kids will eat!

Thanks for everything everyone!