Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   WOHMs in medical field (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443047)

BeccaSueCongdon 09-13-2012 02:04 PM

WOHMs in medical field

I'm currently a SAHM but looking to become a WOHM in the medical field. I've always pictured being a nurse, and I'm curious what other professions there are in the medical field and which would be the best fit. I'd love to hear what YOU do in the medical field.

Job title?
Degrees earned?
Typical weekly schedule?
Average wage?
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?)

I'd hate to invest a few years and lots of money into nursing school and find it's not a good fit.

TIA!

Shimpie 09-14-2012 12:12 AM

Re: WOHMs in medical field

I'm not in the medical field, but both my parents were, as well as DH's aunt. They've all retired in the last 5 years.

Mom
Job title: RN
Degree: Bachelors
Schedule: 5 8-hour days a week
Wage: decent money. 10 years ago, she made $40-60k/year depending how much overtime and floating she did.
Shift: pm shift 3-12pm She worked on the general medical/surgery floor and occasionally worked ICU.

Dad
Job title: Respratory Therapist
Degree: Bachelors and Masters in Economics. 2 years in respiratory therapy
Schedule: 3 12-hour days 4 days off
Wage: $50k a year
Shift: graveyard 7pm to 8 pm. Covered all respiratory patients in a large county hospital, including the crash cart and ICU. When he was older and close to retirement, he worked in the hospitals's blood gas lab. He could sit down and he didn't need to run all over the hospital during code blue.

Aunt
Job title: don't remember her title, but she was the head nurse who assessed and scheduled all surgeries in the hospital. She was management and had a lot of clout.
Degree: Masters of Nursing
Schedule: 5 8-hour days, but often worked overtime
Wage: Made very good money for a nurse. $100k/year
Shift: day shift, but got to work very early, around 5am before all the surgeries began.

Van1300 09-14-2012 06:30 AM

Job title? Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Hospice Home Care
Degrees earned? Bachelors in Psychology, Master in Social Work
Typical weekly schedule? M-F 8-5pm
Average wage? $50,000
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?) Drive to patients home, meet with them and their family. Discuss challenges in dealing with terminal illness, provide reassurance and teach coping skills. Provide community resources, financial assistance, emotional support. Coordinate with Team RN and Chaplain to provide medical and spiritual support. Answer questions, educate on disease progression and medication. I typically see 4-5 patients a day.

mibarra 09-14-2012 12:19 PM

I do not currently work directly in the medical feild, but I COULD with my degree,

Job title - Speech Language Pathologist (you can work acute care in hopsitals, outpatient rehab, and assisted living/nursing homes)
Degrees earned? M.S. in Speech Language Pathology, B.A. in Speech and Hearing Science
Typical weekly schedule: widely variable depending on where you work
Average wage: I believe in my area starting is anywhere from $40-$60K
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?): You evaluate clients for services, provide therapy for speech, language, cognitive, or swallowing issues. You can also perform Videoflouroscopic swallow studies, provide feeding therapy to infants.

MelDM 09-17-2012 10:45 PM

Job title? Registered Nurse
Degrees earned? Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Typical weekly schedule? 2 days, 2 nights 5 off
Average wage? $32-41/hr
I work in L&D. I do everything from assessing those when they first come in, to supporting the woman in labor, to assisting with delivery. I do the initial assessment of babe as well as resuscitate if needed. I absolutely love my job :)

BeccaSueCongdon 09-18-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelDM
Job title? Registered Nurse
Degrees earned? Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Typical weekly schedule? 2 days, 2 nights 5 off
Average wage? $32-41/hr
I work in L&D. I do everything from assessing those when they first come in, to supporting the woman in labor, to assisting with delivery. I do the initial assessment of babe as well as resuscitate if needed. I absolutely love my job :)

That's exciting! Thats exactly my goal. :-) any tips for an aspiring L&D nurse?

nada87 09-22-2012 07:16 PM

I am a medical assistant
I have an associates degree in science
I make just shy of 30k a year
I work weird shifts, since I work on the office side i make up my own shifts based on when patients are scheduled. I only work m-f anywhere from 7-12 hrs. When I hit forty i go home unless something urgent needs attention.
I do everything from scheduling appointments to patient education. I love it, i am however planning to go back to school next year with the ultimate goal of becoming a physicians assistant.

MomMe3 09-23-2012 07:35 PM

My brother is a Case Manager for a hospice. He is a RN and I don't know what his degree is in. He supervises nurses, works with social worker's and families to help with the overall care of people who are in hospice. His salary is $70k. He works 3-8 hours a day (as needed) but is paid for the entire 8 hours. He really likes it, but would probably prefer being in a hospital.

I considered being an Ultrasound Tech. There are different programs that one can take with the better ones taking 2 years. There is no BS requirement. The pay is around $50-$70k in my area. I decided it against it because it's not my passion.

blackbirdmama*3 09-25-2012 10:57 AM

Job title? Women's Health Cancer Case Manager
Degrees earned? I currently have my LPN license and am in school for my BSN
Typical weekly schedule? I work M-F 8-5, I also a couple of times a year have Saturday activities, those are usually fun things for our breast cancer survivors
Average wage? I currently make $37,000 per year plus full benefits
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?)I case manage women with abnormal mammograms and paps, through diagnosis and treatment of cancer. I help coordinate all of their appointments and make sure they have referrals. I help them find resources for various things, and I send reminder letters to women due for follow-up mammograms as well as annual screening reminders.

firstlynn 09-25-2012 12:36 PM

some great WOHMs i know personally:

Job title? Physician Assistant
Degrees earned? 4 year degree & 2.5 year PA school
Typical weekly schedule? flexible, mostly 8am to 5pm, 40 hours a week
Average wage? 90,000+
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?) see patients with physicians or work under a physician's license

Job title? speech therapist
Degrees earned? speech therapist (most are masters degree now)
Typical weekly schedule? 30 hours
Average wage? 65,000
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?) evaluate and treat speech and swallow problems. some therapist will specialize in adults only or kids only

Job title? physician (part time)
Degrees earned? bachelor's degree then MD, + residency (3-4 years)
Typical weekly schedule? my friend works only 4-5 shifts (10 hour shifts) per month, so averaging 1/week
Average wage? she gets around 1000/shift, she averages 60,000/year for her very part time job, obviously full earning potential would be 200K+ for full-time
What is a typical shift like (what do you DO?) evaluate patients in the emergency room or being admitted to the hospital. cover other doctors who are off on vacation/sick leave/etc