Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   laughing question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443053)

brayden2020 09-13-2012 01:13 PM

laughing question

I know this is probably just me being paranoid, but I'm still curious.

Anyone have a baby who never laughed? My DD 3 hardly ever laughs. When she does it is only because I tickle her and even then it's for a brief second and she fights against it. She smiles at most things but the non laughter is throwing me off.
She is only 6 months so in hoping it will come soon and maybe it's to early, but my nephew is 5 weeks older and has been laughing for months...and at everything.

I know every baby is different but I can't shake the feeling that something is different. Early sign of autism maybe?paranoia?

snugglesnsunshine 09-13-2012 02:00 PM

Re: laughing question

my almost 5 year old dd didn't laugh much, but was very inquisitive, even as an infant. She would just stare and we could tell she was figuring things out and studying them. She did smile but the LAUGHING was for special occasions. We don't vax anymore because she seemed to almost not laugh at all after she got the MMR vaccine. She was sick from the vaccine for almost 5 months and between 1 and 1-1/2, seemed miserable and acted like she hated everything. long story. She is fine now, giggles almost as much as our 3 year old, who is a GIGGLEBOX, and still changes so much the older she gets.
She is 4-1/2 and has just started to read, is very smart, an obvious analytical thinker already, very imaginative, loves her baby sisters to pieces and takes up for them BIG TIME, etc. Another unique thing about her is her memory. It's OUT OF THIS WORLD. At 4 years old, she will recall things from 2 years ago. So don't worry. If all kids were the same, life wouldn't be as fun.:goodvibes:

Bhavana 09-13-2012 02:18 PM

I dont know about autistic kids not laughing ( I doubt that!) but I can tell you that 6mos is a bit too early to decide if he has as issue going on based on that alone.

Like you mentioned, all kids are diff. DS1 laughed easy and hard by 2mos..he still is a very giggly, smily boy. DS2 is a snob. His first laughter came after ds1 snorted-this after me trying to get peals of laughter out of him for so long. ANd like your dd, it takes a lot for him to smile/laugh. Everybody says that he's a quiet/calm baby. And I mutter "I know you want to ask why he doesnt smile at all!"

If there are other red flags about her, I would think of this non-laughter as a point to raise,but that alone wont suffice. SO maybe she's just a serious, broody baby.

Gothmommy 09-13-2012 02:23 PM

My DD is like that now, and always has been. She's very reserved and quiet. On the positive side, at 2 weeks shy of 2, she knows all of her body parts, even things like knees, shoulders, chin, and forehead. She's also learning her colors and starting to pick up letter recognition. Laughter is good, but it's no biggie If they aren't as jovial as other munchkins, it just means they're busy learning.

This message won't self destruct in 30 seconds.

hpfgirl 09-13-2012 02:47 PM

My 4 month-old DD doesn't laugh much either. She smile and grins constantly, but the most I can get out of her is a huh-huh.

My son giggled uncontrollably for us starting at around 2 months. I think it must be a personality thing.

brayden2020 09-13-2012 02:58 PM

Glad to know I'm not alone. :)

I feel as if I'm starting all over again since there is a six year gap in my kiddos. The worry with her is worse than with my first! So odd lol

blueone 09-13-2012 06:01 PM

Neither my son or my daughter laughed/laugh much as babies. My son, now 3, is very active and laughs a lot now and is a big thinker, much like he was as a baby, he did smile a lot and still does. He's a bit of a serious kid, just like my daughter. She's 4 months and will smile a lot and sort of laugh, but you can tell she thinks a lot and is very observant. It's just the different personalities.

mibarra 09-13-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brayden2020
I know this is probably just me being paranoid, but I'm still curious.

Anyone have a baby who never laughed? My DD 3 hardly ever laughs. When she does it is only because I tickle her and even then it's for a brief second and she fights against it. She smiles at most things but the non laughter is throwing me off.
She is only 6 months so in hoping it will come soon and maybe it's to early, but my nephew is 5 weeks older and has been laughing for months...and at everything.

I know every baby is different but I can't shake the feeling that something is different. Early sign of autism maybe?paranoia?

I sign does not =autism. It takes many characteristics. DD2 wasn't a big laugher til 14 months or so, though she did smile. That being said, if you're radar is going off, keep on eye on things. Parent rating scales have been shown to accurately identify autism as early as 18 months....

brayden2020 09-13-2012 08:01 PM

What are some early signs?

mibarra 09-13-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brayden2020
What are some early signs?

There are many. Autism Speaks has a good website (just Google it), but also remember that everyone has characteristics of autism, so it's more complicated than looking at an online checklist and marking things off.

Some good things to watch for at this age are social smiles (smiling in response to smiling), joint attention (following a point or verbal cue to look at something distant), anticipation of social routines (do they seem to know what's coming when you're playing peek a boo or similar games), sensory differences (hypersensitive to sound, light, touch). :)