Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTC - Trying To Conceive (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Low bbt, thyroid? Waiting to ttc? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443054)

L J 09-13-2012 01:17 PM

Low bbt, thyroid? Waiting to ttc?

I got AF back last month, and started charting right away. That cycle was annovulatory and my new one started yesterday. I was 11m pp when it came back.

My temps, using a bbt, were super low all month - under 97 every day. I know this is typically indicative of an under active thyroid. I have other symptoms of that, as well. I had the thyroid panel done about 6 months ago and my ob's office called to say it was "fine" but I didn't get a copy of my actual numbers.

We are without insurance until Oct 1st so I can't have it re run just yet.

Has anyone else any experience with super low temps? I have read that I shouldn't ttc if my thyroid is not functioning properly. I figure I can get it back in check naturally, but I would love to hear other opinions and stories about low temps or post partum thyroid issues.

We aren't in a major hurry to ttc; I figure we will sometime around the end of the year. I just want to do what I can to get on track first.

Maybe I just need a new thermometer? How long do these things stay reliable? I bough it in August 2010. Can I change the battery? It's the purple one. Nextcare?

Fishie Kisses 09-13-2012 01:29 PM

Re: Low bbt, thyroid? Waiting to ttc?

interesting...I've always had low body temp and have often suspected thyroid problems...didn't realize they could be linked!

AcrossTheUniverse 09-13-2012 01:39 PM

I always have low temps. Before O is usually 96.8-97.1 and after O is usually 97.5-97.8. I currently am hyperthyroid. I did get pregnant about 3 months ago but it resulted in a chemical pregnancy (started bleeding within 2 days of a + HPT) and my guess is it was a result of being hyperthyroid. Hyperthyroid is difficult to treat. They just watch it and treat symptoms and hope that it goes away (which it should in my case since it is a result of postpartum thyroiditis). If it continues beyond a certain point the treatment measures are drastic and basically involve killing off the thyroid gland or removing it completely.

Hypothyroid is easily treatable with medication, so I would get labs done as soon as you can. That way you can TTC successfully. If you are hypothyroid it is likely your body wouldn't be able to sustain a pregnancy.

If you are dealing with postpartum thyroiditis, it often resolves by 12 months postpartum. It usually starts out with a period of hyperthyroid followed by a period of hypothyroid before returning to normal, though in a few cases the hypothyroid can become permanent.

L J 09-13-2012 01:39 PM

I have always had several months of low temps, and often annovulatory cycles, after giving birth. I read that it could be post partum thyroidosis? Or something to that effect.

Then, I saw on Dr Oz a few days ago that if you take your bbt ten days in a row, average the ten temps and it's under 98, you have an under active thyroid. I thought, woah! I'm never even 97! He had great suggestions for foods and supplements to restart your thyroid. I DVRed it; I need to rewatch and take notes!

L J 09-13-2012 01:42 PM

AcrosstheUniverse - I had an early chemical between my son who was stillborn (Aug 2010) and my daughter (Sept 2011) and looking back at my charts I really do wonder if that was the reason.

Hyperthyroid sounds so difficult to deal with. I'm so sorry. :(

AcrossTheUniverse 09-13-2012 01:45 PM

It can be difficult. Out of 5 pregnancies/deliveries this is my 2nd experience with postpartum thyroiditis and hyperthyroid. My TSH is something like 0.0004! I have to take beta-blockers because it gives me heart palpitations, rapid heart rate, and the shakes. I am 10 months PP now and am really hoping it goes away soon.

ElsieCayare 09-13-2012 02:34 PM

Hmm. My BFF has super low temps, and a low thyroid. She's never had a problem getting knocked up, though :) She's tried twice, and got BFP's the first month both times. Once at 29, once at 30.

opheliaspins 09-13-2012 04:26 PM

Oh interesting! Mine this month has mostly been in the 96 ish to low 97 range, I really didn't know it meant anything.

fiveofhearts 09-14-2012 11:30 AM

I have always had low bbt and never a problem or concern. 3 kids, 2 conceived first time trying and one not even trying. One I was even charting and saw all the 96 degree temps and wasn't above 97 until pregnant. I think this is probably a good guiding point but i don't necessarily think everybody with a low bbt has that. Or maybe we were just really lucky. Currently I am still in the 96s, not appearing to ovulate and long cycles so maybe there is something to it this time.

katykat 09-14-2012 02:07 PM

I was wondering about the thermometer thing too. I haven't changed the battery and it's at least 3 years old. My temps were low this month too, and my thyroid is on the low end of normal but I've been taking meds so thought it would have remedied that. Hmmm. I say get it checked out when you can but keep trying in the meantime?!