Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bleach sensitivity (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443197)

pine_apple_goat 09-13-2012 08:43 PM

Bleach sensitivity

I recently bleached dd's dipes and within the next 24 hours I noticed a small rash building. I didn't think much of it. I just put some cream on her and went about things. Then I noticed it was everywhere. Her arms, legs, belly, butt, all over. So we stopped using cloth and I put her in sposies. I washed her dipes again without bleach. I tried giving her some allergy medicine to calm the rash down but that didn't help. On day three I finally took her to a walk in clinic. Doc said she had a reaction to the bleach and gave us a script. After we got that in her I noticed a difference within a couple hours and by the end of the second day it was all gone.

So, no more bleach here. What else can I use to get them really, really clean? I've heard about vinegar? Is it the same concept as bleach? How much? Does it really work? Any other things I can do? What about winter, I can't hang my dipes with a foot of snow on the ground so they go through heck in the winter months. We don't get much sunshine in our house either because we have a crap ton of trees around. Please help!

TIA!

Earthy Momma 09-13-2012 09:24 PM

Re: Bleach sensitivity

i have used vinegar, a lot. im not sure if it the same concept as bleach..i do believe it kills stuff, and gets rid of smell.
i always just poor sum in i never meaure or anything...
you can always hang ur diapers in the sun that kills stuff, that being said..i RARELY do this...i hang them to dry in the house a lot, my bg 4.o's but they are never in direct sunlight...
and also i have NEVER EVER EVER used bleach on my diapers... so i think u can and will get by fine with out it... bleach is a gnarly chemical..which im sure u know.. but i dont think u have much to worry about with out the bleach :)

lynn97 09-13-2012 10:30 PM

Sorry, but I don't believe that vinegar is as good as bleach re:disinfecting. It helps disinfect, though. That being said, I rarely bleach and I feel like my diapers are clean. What kind of detergent are you using? Also, if you find that have to bleach occasionally, could you bleach in the prerinse, then wash and add a couple extra rinses? (This is what I do if I have to bleach.)

babycat42 09-13-2012 11:52 PM

If you add bleach in your rinse cycle, then do your wash cycle and rinse cycle. By the time your are done you will have disinfected diapers and the bleach will then be completely washed out.

lizzysmomma 09-14-2012 03:12 AM

We just use a lot of extra hot rinses to remove residual bleach because I really don't think there's anything else that can disinfect diapers on a regular basis.

pine_apple_goat 09-14-2012 08:30 AM

Thanks ladies. Maybe next time I will add it to the prerinse. And then wash normal. I have never bleached before this time and now I'm nervous about doing it again.

loveReese2pieces 09-14-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pine_apple_goat (Post 15680904)
Thanks ladies. Maybe next time I will add it to the prerinse. And then wash normal. I have never bleached before this time and now I'm nervous about doing it again.

:hugs: I understand this exactly mama! My DD has some of the most sensitive skin I have ever seen in my life! She can't touch any clothing washed in even the most sensitive skin detergents. It took me forever to find one that she didn't react too. I just recently washed a load of diapers with bleach because I bought a used fitted that had ammonia and got scared and bleached everything. Well the first time I put a diaper on her from that load two hours later she got the most terrible contact rash and SHE DIDN'T EVEN PEE IN THE DIAPER!! I knew it was the bleach - So I washed twice and rinsed about 4 times just to be safe and she didn't react from the same load. I think that vinegar is a great alternative and have been using that as well although many warn it will kill the elastic over time but then again- won't bleach and hot water and the dryer and just wearing them everyday do the same? LOL :giggle: I would just do bleach maybe once a week/ or month if you feel it necessary (because I'm a germaphobe and want to disinfect!) but rinse rinse rinse and just check often when you use the first couple of diapers from that load! Good luck!

pine_apple_goat 09-14-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveReese2pieces

:hugs: I understand this exactly mama! My DD has some of the most sensitive skin I have ever seen in my life! She can't touch any clothing washed in even the most sensitive skin detergents. It took me forever to find one that she didn't react too. I just recently washed a load of diapers with bleach because I bought a used fitted that had ammonia and got scared and bleached everything. Well the first time I put a diaper on her from that load two hours later she got the most terrible contact rash and SHE DIDN'T EVEN PEE IN THE DIAPER!! I knew it was the bleach - So I washed twice and rinsed about 4 times just to be safe and she didn't react from the same load. I think that vinegar is a great alternative and have been using that as well although many warn it will kill the elastic over time but then again- won't bleach and hot water and the dryer and just wearing them everyday do the same? LOL :giggle: I would just do bleach maybe once a week/ or month if you feel it necessary (because I'm a germaphobe and want to disinfect!) but rinse rinse rinse and just check often when you use the first couple of diapers from that load! Good luck!

Thanks mama, it is crazy how quickly they can react to things. I plan on bleaching once a month, but I will do it overnight so that I can make sure they are totally rinsed clear.

Katiebug_1976 09-14-2012 03:03 PM

I love vinegar for cleaning/disinfecting! I used to use it on my diapers all the time. However, I have recently learned (through this board) that vinegar will ruin elastic over time. So, no more vinegar for my diapers (at least the ones that have elastic).