Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fixed stinky wraps...now stinky BABY!!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443275)

Kchord 09-14-2012 07:55 AM

Fixed stinky wraps...now stinky BABY!!!!

I have been using cloth diapers since January and have been committed through all my problems with stinkiness and got all that solved...except for the baby. My daughter is now potty trained but it was the same with her when she used them, but my son has an odor. :banghead: Now, I have noticed this on other cloth diaper babies when I have held them...just a faint urine smell. I tried changing him more often, wiping really good and wiping my wrap (I use best bottoms), and even changing the wrap every other time. But he always seems to have a slight pee smell on his area. :greenbaby: Honestly it is embarrassing! The diapers smell clean (and I am very sensitive to smells...some of my friends have said they don't smell him in the past when they have even directly sniffed) so maybe it's me? But it is driving me nuts and I am on the verge of giving it up and going back to sposies. Perhaps it is because I use sposies for the first almost two years and am used to the lightly scented nature of those? Please help me! :cry: Maybe bum refresher spray or something? His skin is so sensitive.

Thanks for your help ladies...I so couldn't do this without all of you!!! :hugs:

beansie19 09-14-2012 08:04 AM

Re: Fixed stinky wraps...now stinky BABY!!!!

Best Bottoms inserts are either microfiber or hemp, right? Both of those fabrics can get pretty smelly and are not very breathable especially with a PUL cover. I would try using cotton inserts, trifolded prefolds or maybe even flats folded up into a pad, for more breathability. Also, you could consider wool covers to improve air circulation.

Or if you don't want to change what you are doing, try some naked time everyday if that's possible.

Kchord 09-14-2012 10:56 AM

Thanks! No, don't want to Change the diapers. I use the microfiber inserts and since I invested over $200 already I hate to buy something else, you know? I will try some naked time. He is 13 months right now but I still have to be careful of him peeing on the floor! Lol

MrsJax11 09-14-2012 11:57 AM

Does he smell when freshly diapered? Maybe you are actually smelling the pee in his diaper? I thought sposies had a worse smell -- kinda plasticly and chemically.

Kchord 09-14-2012 11:58 AM

Yes, he smells pretty much all the time whether a fresh diaper or not. :(

ServingHim 09-14-2012 12:05 PM

Maybe use a very mild soap solution with cloth wipes?
Is his urine particularly strong smelling?

Kchord 09-14-2012 12:09 PM

Sometimes but not in sposies. But then again they have "deodorizers" to mask that. My daughter has VERY strong smelling urine. I like the cloth wipe idea with a light spritz. I bet I can make a baking soda + water mixture with a teensy bit of soap. I will try it today! Thanks for the idea!!! :)

Micheliala 09-14-2012 12:17 PM

I'm trying to figure out if you mean he smells after you change him or while the diaper is on? But if you mean right after you change him, what I do for that is use a wet cloth wipe and wipe him down after every change (even if its just a pee diaper) and then I add a little bit of grovia stick. It has a really light lavender smell that makes him smell wonderful till the next change! He has so super sensitive skin and eczema and this stuff doesn't irritate him at all. The ingredients are very simple and all organic. Of course any child can react to something differently than mine but it is a nice choice for some. But I would definitely try cleaning him off between changes and see if that helps some.