Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Plastic cover over pocket diaper? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443285)

themachine 09-14-2012 08:34 AM

Plastic cover over pocket diaper?

Hello!
First time posting here. Hope this is the right board to post this question on!

My little guy is 17 months now and we have been using Fuzzi-Bunz and Rump-a-rooz since he was born. All has been good up until the past three months or so when he has really been leaking through both brands of diapers pretty consistently - esp. at night! I have tried several fittings and adjustments to the diapers to get a better/snugger fit and they seem really well fitted on him. We are going through 4-5 pairs of pants during the day, and have resorted to using disposable overnight diapers for nighttime.

My question is: does anyone use a plastic diaper cover over their pocket diapers to help with leaks? It's the only solution I can think of at this point. I am tired of all the laundry and changing the sheets every morning! Help please!

-Amber

keonli 09-14-2012 08:36 AM

Re: Plastic cover over pocket diaper?

How are you stuffing them?

Kabuki24 09-14-2012 08:39 AM

Welcome!

A few questions for you:
1) what are you stuffing them with during the day?

2) What detergent are you using? Are you having any ammonia (or other stink issues)?

3) Nightime is super challenging after a baby is a year old IMO, what are you stuffing with at night?

rainbowgirl28 09-14-2012 08:42 AM

A lot of babies just reach a point when the standard microfiber insert is not enough to hold their pee. You might try double stuffing them, or using bamboo inserts, or switching diapers entirely. My entire stash was Fuzzibunz when I started, but unfortunately they just didn't work out for us. We mostly use Itti Bitti Tuttos and Goodmamas now.

Putting a cover over the pocket diaper won't fix the underlying problem.

themachine 09-14-2012 08:49 AM

We currently use the microfiber inserts that came with the diapers. They are doubled up, so it's 2 pads in each diaper. We wash with Charlie's soap, as well as a natural sports detergent that helps with the smell.

-Amber

MDever 09-14-2012 08:51 AM

That sounds like an absorbancy issue to me. Not a cover issue.

Kabuki24 09-14-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themachine (Post 15680982)
We currently use the microfiber inserts that came with the diapers. They are doubled up, so it's 2 pads in each diaper. We wash with Charlie's soap, as well as a natural sports detergent that helps with the smell.

-Amber

Okay, I guess I'd do one of two things. First, strip your inserts and diaper shells to insure that you do not have buildup, and therefore repelling. If after you do that, and they seem more absorbent, I'd switch to a mainstream detergent.

If it's not buildup, then I'd invest in some hemp babies (or similar) doublers. Put a microfiber insert on top, and then hemp below. The MF will absorb the pee fast, but the hemp will hold a lot if that makes sense.

Hope this helps.

themachine 09-14-2012 08:55 AM

He does tend to soak through the diaper inserts completely (esp. overnight). Can anyone recommend a more absorbent insert?

-Amber

Kabuki24 09-14-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themachine (Post 15681007)
He does tend to soak through the diaper inserts completely (esp. overnight). Can anyone recommend a more absorbent insert?

-Amber

Thirsties hemp inserts come to mind... maybe stuff with an infant sized prefold and them put the hemp insert below.

Hi-Dog 09-14-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabuki24 (Post 15681158)
Thirsties hemp inserts come to mind... maybe stuff with an infant sized prefold and them put the hemp insert below.

I second Thirsties hemp! We use these inserts to boost nap and night diapers and they work great!