Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help! My 10 month old is barely nursing! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443405)

MamaZnR 09-14-2012 02:10 PM

Help! My 10 month old is barely nursing!

DD has nursed today at 730am and then 230.....ever since she has been 5 months it is a struggle to nurse. It has to be quiet and dark. I know that can be normal, but I don't want to wean early. This week she has been sick and getting a top tooth. I feel like I have to force her to nurse! And it seems like its taking my milk a bit longer to let down. Then she just wants to get down. I think she is also about to walk, and she is talking up a storm (and proud of it ;).....now that I am typing this all out, she does have a lot going on. I just don't want this to be the end!

MamaZnR 09-14-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaZnR
DD has nursed today at 730am and then 230.....ever since she has been 5 months it is a struggle to nurse. It has to be quiet and dark. I know that can be normal, but I don't want to wean early. This week she has been sick and getting a top tooth. I feel like I have to force her to nurse! And it seems like its taking my milk a bit longer to let down. Then she just wants to get down. I think she is also about to walk, and she is talking up a storm (and proud of it ;).....now that I am typing this all out, she does have a lot going on. I just don't want this to be the end!

Anyone? She only nursed again at 9!

tinyblackdot 09-14-2012 10:07 PM

It may just be because she is teething and sick. Make sure if she isn't nursing she is getting plenty of fluids. I would wait it out a while and see what happens.

Connor 09-14-2012 11:45 PM

Just offer often! Is she eating many solids? I would back off some if so to encourage more nursing. Does she nurse during the night?

MamaZnR 09-15-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor
Just offer often! Is she eating many solids? I would back off some if so to encourage more nursing. Does she nurse during the night?

Yes, she nurses once a night. She loves "real food"....I'm ok if we don't nurse as often, I'm just not ready to give it up completely.

MamaZnR 09-15-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyblackdot
It may just be because she is teething and sick. Make sure if she isn't nursing she is getting plenty of fluids. I would wait it out a while and see what happens.

Connor 09-15-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Yes, she nurses once a night. She loves "real food"....I'm ok if we don't nurse as often, I'm just not ready to give it up completely.

So she's nursing 4 times a day? If she loves solids so much, my thought is that she's filling up on solids and isn't hungry to nurse.

Even at this age, 90% of her calories should still be coming from breastmilk. If that's not the case (doesn't sound like it), I would reduce the solids. Just my opinion.

Also, it depends on your nursing goals. How long would you like to nurse? If you've like to nurse for a while still, I would definitely try to get her more interested in the breast by reducing solids.

MamaZnR 09-15-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

So she's nursing 4 times a day? If she loves solids so much, my thought is that she's filling up on solids and isn't hungry to nurse.

Even at this age, 90% of her calories should still be coming from breastmilk. If that's not the case (doesn't sound like it), I would reduce the solids. Just my opinion.

Also, it depends on your nursing goals. How long would you like to nurse? If you've like to nurse for a while still, I would definitely try to get her more interested in the breast by reducing solids.

I would like to nurse at least till 2....I'll try reducing solids, she just gets so fussy and grabby when food is in sight.

Connor 09-15-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

I would like to nurse at least till 2....I'll try reducing solids, she just gets so fussy and grabby when food is in sight.

Yeah, if you'd like to nurse until 2 I would cut back some on solids. Offer the breast more. Be sure to get in a good nursing before offering solids. If she doesn't want to nurse I'd wait to give solids, after she nurses well then allow solids. Lol. It sounds rather strict, and I wouldn't worry much if you were planning to wean soon. But since you'd like to continue a while I would try to interest her more in the breast. :)

MamaZnR 09-15-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Yeah, if you'd like to nurse until 2 I would cut back some on solids. Offer the breast more. Be sure to get in a good nursing before offering solids. If she doesn't want to nurse I'd wait to give solids, after she nurses well then allow solids. Lol. It sounds rather strict, and I wouldn't worry much if you were planning to wean soon. But since you'd like to continue a while I would try to interest her more in the breast. :)

Thank you!!!

ETA I think my supply has dropped some too. I dot mind if she wants to nurse less, just don't want to completely wean :/