Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Round Ligament Pains, SPD, or Just Normal Stretching?- UPDATE POST #11 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443431)

jackobeano 09-14-2012 02:01 PM

Round Ligament Pains, SPD, or Just Normal Stretching?- UPDATE POST #11

So if you read my original thread post I just wanted to let you know that I edited this thread because I'm not so sure it's just round ligament pain as was suggested by my midwife although I just had a brief conversation with her when they first started and maybe didn't provide all the info.

I'm not one to complain about pregnancy symptoms much as I really truly enjoy being pregnant but I'm just wondering how many of you February mamas are dealing with pelvic pain right now. With DD I had some of the shooting pains from the round ligaments especially around the 1st trimester. About the same with DS (actually one of the signs that I was pregnant :giggle:). But this time which is my 3rd pregnancy I'm been having almost constant pelvic pains starting around 2-3 weeks ago. Not shooting pains but feels like someone kicked me in the crotch :blush: Feels kinda bruised and tender inside and a bit on the outside if I'm pushing on my pelvic bones or pressure is put on them when sitting down. It is more painful if I overdo it (doesn't take a ton for me this pregnancy). I also have an irritable uterus though and get contractions alot (started at 9 weeks this pregnancy), not sure if this has something to do with it or not. Haven't noticed as many contractions lately as I was experiencing though. Also wondering if it being the 3rd time around has anything to do with it. My belly seems bigger this time so maybe that is effecting it? So what do you think it sounds like, I was told it was probably round ligament pains but it doesn't really feel like the round ligament pains I've experience before. I was looking up SPD but mine doesn't seem worse when separating my legs, it's a constant aching. It does seem to get worse the more I walk or do though. Maybe it's just normal stretching of everything and is pronounced this time since it's my 3rd. If you other mamas are experiencing something similar have you figured out anything that helps or what exactly it is? I just ordered a pregnancy support belly band (didn't want to do the pregnancy support belts as they just look so uncomfortable and I can't imagine wearing one under my clothes all the time). So tell me what you think it sounds like and come commiserate with me mamas ;)

weesej 09-15-2012 07:32 AM

Re: Round Ligament Pains, SPD, or Just Normal Stretching?

That is often what my SPD feels like to me before it gets bad:) Sorry, that is not too encouraging. I would recommend not stretching or overextending your legs to keep it from getting worse. Mine started with baby #3 and was worst with #5 and 6. Wasn't too bad at all with #8.

jackobeano 09-15-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesej (Post 15685589)
That is often what my SPD feels like to me before it gets bad:) Sorry, that is not too encouraging. I would recommend not stretching or overextending your legs to keep it from getting worse. Mine started with baby #3 and was worst with #5 and 6. Wasn't too bad at all with #8.

No not really what I was hoping for but it's good to hear from other mamas so I know what to expect going forward. Did you find visiting a chiropractor helped if you saw one? So I shouldn't stretch or overextend my legs even though this doesn't hurt at all, it in fact seems to feel a little better when I do this.

Ainmemphis 09-15-2012 10:25 AM

I have had some round ligament pain every so often since the beginning of this pregnancy. If it try to stand up too fast (usually because I have to chase my toddler down) I can really feel the pain! I try to move extra slow and it seems to help keep the pain at bay.

MDever 09-15-2012 10:41 AM

I just wanted to semd ome love to my Feb. mamas that are dealing with this already. This will be my 5th baby and I have "never" knock on wood had round ligament pain. I do get the SPD pain but closer to the end because my giant babies like to get their heads REALLY far down there ahead of time. Like you can touch their head:chuckle: I have sme kin of major issue in my SI joint, it stil grinds and clicks even when I am not pregnant. Do any of you have that? OP I think going to the Chiro is a great idea. My midwife said that she could send me to a special physical therapist for the women's pelvic area. Do you maybe have that option?

misskira 09-15-2012 10:41 AM

Ddc...
I had spd with my 2nd. It literally felt like my hips were going to split apart and rip my body in 2. Its some of the most intense pain ive ever felt. It got too bad at 38 weeks and i had to stop working. Its like when you way over exercise and your body aches and its awful to move. My CNM said a chiro adjustment can help, but I was close enough to the end that I didn't bother. Swimming helped because of the counter pressure and lack of gravity. Having dh push against my side next to a wall felt good. Mostly I just had to take it easy and try not to overextend and to move slowly and carefully. :hugs: it was better within days of birth.

jackobeano 09-15-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever (Post 15686212)
I just wanted to semd ome love to my Feb. mamas that are dealing with this already. This will be my 5th baby and I have "never" knock on wood had round ligament pain. I do get the SPD pain but closer to the end because my giant babies like to get their heads REALLY far down there ahead of time. Like you can touch their head:chuckle: I have sme kin of major issue in my SI joint, it stil grinds and clicks even when I am not pregnant. Do any of you have that? OP I think going to the Chiro is a great idea. My midwife said that she could send me to a special physical therapist for the women's pelvic area. Do you maybe have that option?

I'm going to call her and see what she thinks it is and what's the best option for treatments. She's very into natural remedies and usually has some great ideas so eager to see what she suggests. I will ask about either chiro or physical therapist to see which she thinks might be better for me. Did your pain feel like what I'm describing or more in your hips? I don't really have any hip pain, it's all in my lower inside pelvic area and a little in my pubic bone/area as well. When it first started it was also in my lower belly area and almost felt like a constant contraction but more achy, just really tight. And absolutely no grinding or clinking of any kind. So I'm still not convinced it's SPD since everyone seems to say it affects the hips and separating of legs which is neither the case for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by misskira (Post 15686213)
Ddc...
I had spd with my 2nd. It literally felt like my hips were going to split apart and rip my body in 2. Its some of the most intense pain ive ever felt. It got too bad at 38 weeks and i had to stop working. Its like when you way over exercise and your body aches and its awful to move. My CNM said a chiro adjustment can help, but I was close enough to the end that I didn't bother. Swimming helped because of the counter pressure and lack of gravity. Having dh push against my side next to a wall felt good. Mostly I just had to take it easy and try not to overextend and to move slowly and carefully. :hugs: it was better within days of birth.

See I have no hip pain which makes me wonder if it is in fact SPD. I can still function like normal it just gets more uncomfortable/painful the more I do so I try to take it easy when I can. It aches a lot. It doesn't really hurt more with movement just more exertion makes the aching worse. It constant though even when sitting or laying down.

jackobeano 09-15-2012 12:49 PM

Just talked to my midwife and she is going to be coming tomorrow to check everything out and see what she thinks is going on. She does all home visits which is awesome! After she figures out what she thinks is going on than she is going to recommend things to try to help alleviate the discomfort. She did tell me to try a bath today which I just did and during the bath it was the first time in a while I couldn't feel the aching at all which was great. Guess a lot more baths are in my future ;)

misskira 09-15-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackobeano (Post 15686631)
Just talked to my midwife and she is going to be coming tomorrow to check everything out and see what she thinks is going on. She does all home visits which is awesome! After she figures out what she thinks is going on than she is going to recommend things to try to help alleviate the discomfort. She did tell me to try a bath today which I just did and during the bath it was the first time in a while I couldn't feel the aching at all which was great. Guess a lot more baths are in my future ;)

If you have a pool near you go,the relief will be amazing. If you have access to a hot tub maybe talk with your mw about a safe temp and length to soak. The deeper you can get submerged the more the pressure and less gravity will help.

jackobeano 09-15-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misskira (Post 15686829)
If you have a pool near you go,the relief will be amazing. If you have access to a hot tub maybe talk with your mw about a safe temp and length to soak. The deeper you can get submerged the more the pressure and less gravity will help.

We do have a local pool that I will have to try to go to. And we don't have a hot tub but my father does and we go visit him regularly so now that it'll be cooling off maybe we can utilize his :giggle: Or maybe it's time for me to talk DH into acquiring one ourselves :giggle: