Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Constipated Toddler (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443443)

GreenHome Sewing 09-14-2012 02:33 PM

Constipated Toddler

:(
What can I do for the poor boy?
He is so constipated it is hurting him and causing him to have pee accidents.
My only guess is that he has had too much dairy in his diet.
My little guy's bottom has even been bleeding a bit from him straining so hard.
I put him in a warm bath in hopes it'll help his tummy at least feel better.
What else can I do?

7 for now 09-14-2012 02:37 PM

My son has a GI problem, pancreatic enzyme insufficiency. He has poo problems as part of it. Especially before he started medication. We were told to give him Miralax. It took a day or so to work but it does work. I still have to give it to him about once a week. It is tasteless and dissolves completely in liquid so he won't even know he is taking t.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

HeatherlovesCDs 09-14-2012 03:07 PM

Re: Constipated Toddler

My toddler sometimes has issues too. I don't get it because he eats a TON of fruits and veggies. I have given Miralax to my 4 year old, but not my 2 year old.

Recently, he had a experience where he was trying very hard to go and could not. It lasted most of the day and he was straining and crying and obviously very uncomfortable. We ended up giving him half of a children's glycerin suppository. That was suggested to us when my oldest son was around a year old but we never did it. But, my oldest was younger when half was suggested. We sort of wished we'd given my 2.5 year old the whole thing. But, it did work. It isn't something I would want to do regularly though. I'd probably research the Miralax since yours is an ongoing problem.

I hope you figure something out soon.

FindingMercy 09-14-2012 03:15 PM

I would figure out something to help him now like a suppository, but then figure out what's at the root of he problem. Constipation is not normal or healthy. Something in his diet most likely is not agreeing with his body.

hibiscus869 09-14-2012 03:43 PM

Do you have a little potty? I think it helps if they can sit in a squatting position, which is hard to do on a big toilet.

I'd go get some plums ASAP if you can. I just find plums to be very effective and most kids will eat them. Once he gets past this I would just really up the fiber- high fiber oatmeal, high fiber bread, fruit with the skin on, etc. Those Fiber 1 bars are quite effective too. Sorry he's having a hard time :(

MDever 09-14-2012 03:52 PM

Will he eats prunes or drink prune juice? Even cutting the juice with apple juice could really help.

pumkinsmommy 09-14-2012 05:23 PM

Go out and buy Miralax now. It is a flavorless powder that can be mixed into a drink. It will bring water into the colon which will make the stool soft so he can pass it. Poor little guy. The miralax in not habit forming. You can give him this daily if he has trouble. Constipation can cause big problems in los.

hodgenkc 09-14-2012 05:31 PM

miralax. You can get it over the counter. My 5 yr old son still has to use it occasionally. You may need to give him full doses for a few days if hes backed up so to speak. I also started giving mine chewy fiber gummy to help things out.

MN Mama to 3 09-14-2012 08:12 PM

I agree with the suggestion to use the little potty. We still have one around just for this.

I've also found that applesauce will get things moving along. :-)

tusheez 09-15-2012 03:45 PM

My DD went through a bad constipation phase. The pedi told us to use miralax. but we did have to use these a few times http://www.drugstore.com/fleet-child...years/qxp15094
My DD would be so constipated her poop would be as big as a tennis ball. :cry: