Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   "what's the lowest you'll take" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443497)

Marianna1988 09-14-2012 05:01 PM

"what's the lowest you'll take"

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but what do you say when people say this??? I don't want to sound unprofessional or snarky or anything, but it REALLY gets under my skin when I have a price listed and people PM me asking "what's the lowest you'll take?" I am always willing to entertain offers, I set my prices expecting them. If you think my price is too high, then tell me what you think the item is worth and what you're willing to pay, 9 times out of 10 I'll take it. But if I list an item for $20ppd, it's not like I'm going to tell you I'll go down to $7 or something just because you asked me how low I would go.

I just said "yes I still have it available. I have it listed for $X and that price includes the shipping to you. My paypal is address@email.com" because I didn't know what to say. I don't want to turn a sale away, but I didn't exactly get an offer either. What is the appropriate response, so that both of us are satisfied.

vatblack 09-14-2012 05:05 PM

Re: "what's the lowest you'll take"

:popcorn: Very interested to know too.

Hillargh 09-14-2012 05:09 PM

I would say something like, "While I have it listed for X, I am open to entertain reasonable offers. If you have a specific amount in mind you'd like to discuss, feel free to get back to me. Or if you'd like to purchase for the listed price my PayPal is X. Thank you for your interest!"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

happysmileylady 09-14-2012 05:13 PM

Just say "make me a reasonable offer and I will consider it."

DH and I sold a car off CL this summer. And we got a LOT of that "what's your lowest number you will take?" Because of course, that's all people want to pay, if they can. We had the car listed for $1200, but honestly it was probably only worth $500 because it needed some work that people not into car maint. would have to pay quite a bit for. The person that bought it asked what our lowest number was and I responded with a line similar to that "what do you have to offer?" They offered up $700, and I took it. I listed it higher specifically because the lowest we would take was $500, but I still wanted more than that.
It's actually a sales technique to make the customer list their number in the negotiation. Because the first person to name a number is probably going to be the person who "leaves money on the table" and gets the lower end of the deal.

BeccaSueCongdon 09-14-2012 05:14 PM

I was just thinking about this on my way home from preschool pickup. It REALLY bugs me. It seems super rude to me. A very manipulative move in the haggle game, IMO. Some people see a listed price and assume you priced hover expecting to haggle. Some people will low ball offer because they can't help themselves (never know when someone might say "sure!"). But that question just ticks me off.

My response depends on how desperate I am for the sale. I usually have items listed for my lowest price, unless I specifically say "make me an offer.". If someone DOES ask me that, I respond by stating my asking price and saying that I'll start taking offers at a certain point. Or I ask them their best offer and go from there.

I'd much rather deal with a straightforward low ball offer than an annoying back ad forth message trying to get ME to lower the price.

qsefthuko 09-14-2012 05:19 PM

Although it doesn't bother me I can see how it might bother you. I have only recently started listing things for sale. I did deliberately price over what I want to get as I expected lower offers regardless of where I started the price at. The first thing I listed I got what I was hoping for with the first offer I was given.

~KittyKat~ 09-14-2012 06:16 PM

Wow, that just seems rather rude! I don't know how I would respond but personally unless I am buying several from one person and know shipping will be lower because of that I pay what they ask. If someone is asking $7 chances are the lowest they are going to go is $5. And to me that $2 just isn't really worth haggling over. I get the item I want at a deal and they get a fair amount of money. If someone is asking an amount way over the top I generally will just pass the thread by.

Anyways, sounds like you have gotten some good advice here, as a buyer I wouldn't be offended if one of these responses was sent to me.

L J 09-14-2012 06:22 PM

I never know how to respond to that, either. I have only started seeing people ask that in the past year here. I usually just reply with something to the effect of, "thanks for your interest, let me know if you have any questions or would like to make a reasonable offer."

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 09-14-2012 06:52 PM

It bugs me a tad also. I price my items low anyways, so I do not HAVE to haggle. But they still do it anyways.

ajane 09-14-2012 07:11 PM

I agree with happysmileylady as it being a sales technique, however.....of the people who have done that to me NONE have ended up purchasing. And I've given a 20% or more discount. It makes me quite perturbed.