Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hallelujah!!! ...or so I thought...updated (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443553)

marebear08 09-14-2012 07:49 PM

Hallelujah!!! ...or so I thought...updated

After four weeks of fighting with my newborn son, trying to get him to latch to me, not a nipple shield, without killing my nipples---It was getting so frustrating and I was in tears every day and really so close to giving up and switching to exclusively pumping...

I saw a lactation consultant Tuesday and her first words after inspecting his mouth were "you know he's tounge tied, right?" I had figured as much, but two weeks ago when I asked his pediatrician to check-he hadn't seemed concerned... the LC was adamit he get it snipped.

On Wednesday, we had his tounge tie snipped and when he went to the breast directly after, it was as if the Heavens opened up above us!! We no longer fight at the breast, and his latch is only semi-uncomfortable (because we have thrush).

Hopefully, no more bloody nipples, no more screaming baby, no more crying because I am a failure that can't nurse my baby (I know, I know, I shouldn't have felt that way but I did...). :lostit:

lilmomma83 09-14-2012 07:59 PM

Re: Hallelujah!!!

Wonderful you got it figured out! My kids are all tongue tied too. Ate you doing stretches to avoid reattachment? And bodywork (craniosacral therapy/chiropractic/osteo) to help release tension associated with the tie?

marebear08 09-14-2012 08:01 PM

No, but I suppose by you asking-- I am supposed to? How would I do the stretches/bodywork?? ??

Kezia 09-14-2012 08:08 PM

It's great you found out. A lot of women have that issue and don't know why.

Kezia 09-14-2012 08:08 PM

It's great you found out. A lot of women have that issue and don't know why.

lilmomma83 09-14-2012 09:44 PM

Here's a link to a video showing the stretches: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62pZw0LqYv8 basically, you place baby's head in your lap, feet away, and press the rogue back with your fingers (you press firmly, but, only hold for a few seconds). Then you massage the base of the tongue. You should stretch about 5-6 times a day and massage every feeding. That keeps it from healing back together. I also used a50::50 mix of calendula extract and aloe Vera juice on the revision site to help it heal without growing back together.

Bodywork is simply chiropractic/craniosacral therapy, the tongue tie can really cause a lot of restriction in the whole body sometimes there can be so much restriction that the tongue doesn't gain full mobility until after that is released through bodywork.. Then the tongue works much better as does the whole body.

I hope that helps some?

There's also a great group on Facebook: tongue tie babies support, which is where I've learned most of this (as well as personal experience)

jalbrecht89 09-16-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marebear08 (Post 15684261)
After four weeks of fighting with my newborn son, trying to get him to latch to me, not a nipple shield, without killing my nipples---It was getting so frustrating and I was in tears every day and really so close to giving up and switching to exclusively pumping...

I saw a lactation consultant Tuesday and her first words after inspecting his mouth were "you know he's tounge tied, right?" I had figured as much, but two weeks ago when I asked his pediatrician to check-he hadn't seemed concerned... the LC was adamit he get it snipped.

On Wednesday, we had his tounge tie snipped and when he went to the breast directly after, it was as if the Heavens opened up above us!! We no longer fight at the breast, and his latch is only semi-uncomfortable (because we have thrush).

Hopefully, no more bloody nipples, no more screaming baby, no more crying because I am a failure that can't nurse my baby (I know, I know, I shouldn't have felt that way but I did...). :lostit:

This sounds EXACTLY what I did with DD. And yes, I would cry because I felt like I was failing her by not being able to nurse. She was supplemented because of the way she "nursed" and eventually was formula fed. My supply was dried up because of the whole situation. Great to hear you have overcame it!

MommaPickerill 09-20-2012 09:08 AM

Breastfeeding is very rewarding but can be very trying and stressful. Glad you stuck it out and found something that works for both of you!

marebear08 09-22-2012 02:18 PM

Thank you so much for the info and the link! and to everyone else for the support. unfortunately, he now fusses at the breast. It gets to the point that he is hysterical if I keep trying to feed him. Very frustrating. Not positive, but I think he got used to the fast flow of bottles...sooo, I am offering the breast until he fusses-giving him 3oz in a slow flow bottle-offering the breast to top him off...so far, no screaming fits today....hopefully I can get the suppliment down to where he wont need it, and trusts the breast. I am sure I have plenty in there, as I typically can pump 6 - 10oz or so...