Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   15 month old w/severe seasonal allergies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443632)

mrseum 09-15-2012 07:04 AM

15 month old w/severe seasonal allergies?

Is there anything OTC that's safe for a lo this young?? I plan on asking the pharmacist today- but wonder if you mamas had any ideas. He has for allergies too-but there is a big correlation between high pollen days & this. He's sneeze so many times this morning his eyes are swollen & he is just miserable. :/ unfortunately the allergist couldn't get us in until October. He can't even breathe/sleep well at night with the aid of a humidifier, Vicks plugin AND benedryl with decongestant. :(

luvsviola 09-15-2012 01:27 PM

We did Zyrtec at the direction of our ped.

Docs Wife 09-15-2012 02:27 PM

We also use Zyrtec for all three that young. Ped gave us the dose.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using DS Forum

omahamama731 09-15-2012 02:38 PM

An OTC antihistamine should do wonders for him.

Just a word of caution about Zyrtec. It made my 5.5 year old daughter violent. She was on it a few months. I just thought it was her attitude and that kindergarten was coming up, but it got to the point where we took her to an OT for an eval thinking she had ODD. On a whim, I took her off of the Zyrtec, and once she had been off for about one week, she was her sweet self again. I was so pissed that I hadn't thought of the connection sooner! Happy she was better, but so upset that I had essentially lost that time with her. We use Claritin now. I had her (then) 15mo old brother on Zyrtec and his allergy symptoms cleared up, but we took him off of Zyrtec when we took big sister off of it, and he does just as well with Claritin. I know this doesn't happen to every kid, but now that I know what Zyrtec can do, I never recommend it to anyone.

lanwenyi 09-15-2012 04:35 PM

Re: 15 month old w/severe seasonal allergies?

My DS's ped org put him on Benadryl at that age, but it made him too sleepy and he had to be dosed every 4 hrs. So, she then put him on allegra. It did wonders for him and it still does. She rec'd Allegra over Zyrtec due to common reactions to Zyrtec. I didn't ask what they were; I just wanted the least-reactive one. She gave us the dosing as well so we could just buy the children's OTC Allegra.

cristy_1996 09-15-2012 06:48 PM

We use Zyrtec for both boys and have since a young age. They both have terrible allergies as well.

escapethevillage 09-15-2012 06:59 PM

We did zyrtec. It helped, but not tons. We tried everything. My poor daughter was sick for six months out of every year. (fall and spring)

The only place she could be happy was the ocean, because she's not allergic to anything at the ocean. But, she's allergic to everything in Arizona.

We DID take everything off the walls and just painted them instead... we put her mattress and pillows in an allergy wrap, took out the carpet, bought an air purifier (which was probably the most helpful thing we did) and put most of her stuffed animals away.

All of her toys went into plastic bins with lids, and there was nothing left out that didn't need to be left out.

Her room was pretty bare, and if it could collect dust, we got rid of it. It did help a little. Just not as much as we'd like.

THis year (knock on wood) hasn't been too bad yet.

I DO suggest the air purifiers though. I think that was our best solution.

luvsviola 09-15-2012 07:09 PM

The other thing we use is Flonase. It helps DS a lot. It takes about 2 weeks to see the full effects, but it made a huge difference.

armywife2002 09-17-2012 10:01 PM

we did zyrtec too, starting at about 4 months. i think its the only one ok for kids under 2. the ped gave us the dose though.

didnt work once we moved to san antonio though. after much mixing and matching, we're mostly under control with allegra and nasonex