Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   wont poop on potty (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443777)

galesville1980 09-15-2012 03:34 PM

My DD turned two in march..she is doing great peeing on the potty..she will say she has to poop and will sit on potty to try but wont..then i put underwear on and with in 2 min she will poop.....my DS was fully PT at 2 so never had to deal with this b4...need tips on how to get her to poop on potty.

KatieB621 09-17-2012 09:14 AM

Re: wont poop on potty

I started potty training my DD last week. She's doing pretty well peeing in the potty, but pooping in the potty is a disaster. She doesn't go at the same time everyday and may go a day without a poop. She doesn't run and hide and she doesn't give me any cues that she's about to go either. I keep telling myself it's just because it's early and that she probably doesn't understand that poop goes in the potty too.

I said all of that to say this.....I'll be watching the thread to see what others suggest because I'm not sure how long it's going to take my DD to figure it out either. I've had others tell me that peeing in the potty was easy for some of their kids, but pooping took a while. Sending you some encouraging vibes mama! :)

hpfgirl 09-17-2012 10:42 AM

My ds did this, but instead of putting underwear on him, I let him run around bottomless for a while. When the real poo came, all he had to do was make a run for it - no fussing with the underwear.

Also, the underwear can feel like a diaper and her muscle memory might revert. Pooping in the underwear feels more natural to her right now.

Yeah, so ditch the underwear.

cathplyr 09-19-2012 05:46 PM

I really think she just has to relax. I would put her on the potty and play a little bit and relax and take it easy. she may sense you get a little tense when its "poop" time and get nervous. you might even leave the room for a minute and tell her to stay there until you get back and that may help her relax. and maybe give her a toy to hold. she may feel rushed and on a time limit. either way she tenses up. I would not put the diaper on her if she says she has to poop but hasnt. I would leave her bottomless and take her off the potty and let her play close to the potty but keep an eye on her and when she starts to go put her on the potty.

kefm 09-28-2012 11:14 AM

My daughter (2 years 2 months) is doing the same thing. She's pretty well potty trained when it comes to pee, but will not poop on the potty. This week, she had a poop accident, I sat her on the potty, and as soon as I put underwear on her she pooped again. And yes, then we did this cycle all over again, for 3 accidents!

We're trying a bottomless weekend to see if we can make progress -- otherwise we might have to go back to diapers because she has most of her poop accidents at daycare. Unless other people have suggestions?

daisy42 09-28-2012 10:49 PM

My daughter is doing the same exact thing! So very frustrating. It seems to help if she's not wearing underwear. She normally likes to go on the big potty but thought it might help if she went on her little potty because her feet can touch the ground. Then my mom suggesteed putting her little potty in the family room where she plays and watches tv and next thing I know she pooped in the potty all by herself! Now this does not happen everytime, still having accidents if she's wearing underwear but its a step in the right direction. I think she feels more relaxed in the family room and doesn't feel like she has to take time out from playing to go to the bathroom.

kefm 09-29-2012 12:53 PM

Our first bottomless day led to 5 poop accidents all over the house. Yikes! She would stop herself after the accident started, and then I'd sit her on the potty and she'd flip out because she "didn't have to," but then as soon as she'd stand up she'd poop again. Wash, rinse, repeat (literally). So far today we haven't had any poop, so I'm not sure if she's holding it or she just doesn't have to go ...

I hate to go back to diapers because she's doing so well with pee training, but not sure how long we can keep up with the poop ...

kefm 09-29-2012 07:22 PM

Woohoo! Update: After her afternoon nap, she obviously had to poop. She would stand and start to push, and then immediately say, "I need to poop!" She did this 3 times, without having an accident, but without pooping on the potty. I just let her go back and forth without making a big deal about it, but kept the potty right there for her. Finally, she did told me she had to go one more time, and she went on the potty! So excited for her ... we're going to try commando tomorrow (we're generally following Oh Crap! Potty Training) and who knows what will happen, but hopefully we just got over a big hump!!

hpfgirl 09-30-2012 06:03 PM

Great job! I think so too. Things keep getting easier from this point on.

Jlg325j 10-03-2012 08:08 PM

I had problems with my DD going poop in the potty too, I think she just wasn't ready at the time....it gets better though! Great advice ladies