Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Reading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443809)

EmsMom 09-15-2012 05:55 PM

Reading

Do you make your school age kids read? DD is in 2nd grade and while she can read fine and does enjoy it, it is rarely a go to activity for her. She is ALWAYS outside playing with her friends and has a wonderful imagination :) She goes to a French Immersion school so any books she brings home are french. Should I start making her read more? I don't have any concerns about her in regards to this, just wondering how often other kids her age read?

ktmelody 09-15-2012 06:07 PM

Yup. Every day during the school year.

My older kids have to read for 60 min, DS at least 30 min and my kinder and 1st have to for 15 min.

cristy_1996 09-15-2012 06:35 PM

Re: Reading

Yep, even my pre-k kiddo that is reading reads daily. I think it depends on the book but usually one longer book or two smaller books are sufficient for me.

~Laura~ 09-15-2012 06:59 PM

In school, my 2nd grade DD has to read silently for 20 minutes. Her nightly homework is 10 minutes of reading. If she wants to watch TV on the weekends, she has to read for that amount of time first.

isabelsmummy 09-15-2012 07:39 PM

Sounds like my dd who is a year older.

In Gr2 Fr Imm they really can't read much (unless she can read in English?). At the beginning of the year the books really only have a very short sentence on them if they are expected to read them themselves. So any 'reading' really has to be a joint activity. If the books she's bringing home are actual story books either you'll have to read them (if you can) or you could sit with her and see what words she can figure out. At the beginning of Gr2 I was just reading to dd but mostly in English because if I read the library books she brought home to her she didn't understand the French in them.

So yes, 'reading' is done in a little every day in our house but it was only after Christmas of gr2 that she could really read anything, in any language, on her own. Somehow this spring she figured out English and reads those horrible fairy books (Megan the Monday Fairy... ) on her own now.

Suzi 09-15-2012 07:43 PM

We still read at night a little but we have backed off some. Ds is more interested in math (and needs to work on his math) so we are doing extra math at home. But, I do make him read everything I can when we are out and about.

mcpforever 09-15-2012 07:46 PM

It's a daily homework requirement starting in K. It starts out with parents reading to the child to the child reading to the parents and then graduates to independent reading. We have reading logs to record the time/books. Eventually, they get to a stage where they have to write summary sentences about what they read each day.

EmsMom 09-15-2012 08:50 PM

She can read very well in French and english. They bring home reading books as well. I guess I've just never required her to do more than her nightly school reading. I feel like there isn't enough time!

tonewinwy 09-15-2012 09:14 PM

My older Nephew is in First Grade. Teacher would like for him to read 15mins a day even longer if possible. M-F I have him read for 15mins after he gets his regular Homework done if he has any. Before he can play Wii,DS,watch TV,or play my iPod he has to read.

For my younger Nephew who's in Kindergarten we just go over his sight words for now.

lemurmommies 09-15-2012 09:33 PM

I am a Grade 2 FI teacher and expect my students to be doing at least 10 minutes of reading in French every night. Books go home that are appropriate to their reading level, so they should be able to read them independently. I would make sure that she is reading at least that long. 10 minutes is not much in the grand scheme of things. I know that most teachers in my board require 10-20 of reading from their primary students and 20-30 from their junior and intermediate students.