Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   hoping to have a natural birth...what materials should I look into? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443883)

2wonderfulboys 09-15-2012 09:29 PM

I was induced with my 1st pregnancy and has an epidural. I went into labor naturally my 2nd time, but was unable to relax and let my body do what it needed, so I ended up with an epidural. This time I am hoping to go natutally all the way. What are some books/dvds/cds I should be looking into to help with this? I still have lots of time, but want to be fully prepared. TIA
I should also add I will be delivering in a hospital with an OB

Yarnjess 09-15-2012 10:12 PM

Re: hoping to have a natural birth...what materials should I look into?

I really liked The Birth Book by Dr Sears. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is also really good. She has a section on the physiology of birth and a section of positive birth stories. The Bradley method books are also helpful, even if you don't take the class. I would also recommend hiring a doula. Doulas are trained to help you deal with labor and have lots of tricks to help you relax and work with your labor. I'm so glad I had one for my birth.

Connor 09-15-2012 10:18 PM

I second the pp on Ina May's book and the Bradley books. There is likely a Bradley teacher in your area. They meet once a week for 12 weeks, AWESOME class. I highly recommend it. :)

2wonderfulboys 09-16-2012 07:54 AM

What about hypnobabies? Someone on another page recommended them

JennTheMomma 09-17-2012 12:00 PM

Active Birth is a great book. You also may want to look into hiring a Doula. They really help with women staying focus and help with relaxing and getting labor to go along smoothly.

lovebabies 09-17-2012 06:06 PM

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is my FAVORITE book ever! Extremely encouraging and empowering. For videos, Orgasmic Birth is my favorite, and I also really like The Business of Being Born (you can stream this one on Netflix). I second the idea of using a doula. She will be there to support you and your husband, and help you have the kind of birth you desire. http://doulamatch.net may help you find one in your area. Would you consider birthing or laboring in water? I labored in water with my first, and pushed #2 and #3 out in the tub. Water helps me relax and be much more comfortable, especially toward the end. I know it's not always an option, depending on where you're birthing, though. Good luck! Good for you researching and planning ahead! :)

DottieHarley 09-17-2012 06:47 PM

We found the jay Bradley book Husband Coached Childbirth to be very helpful as well as Ina May. IMO the best thing you can do is have a really supportive, informed birth partner.
Bradley class was super, super helpful.
We brought a combo radio/mp3 player/noisemaker and an ipod with a 24 hour playlist (lol). We had just gotten a Bob Dylan greatest hits cd. I distinctly remember resting while pushing and saying "i didnt know this song was dylan!"

creativeOTmomma 12-10-2012 04:26 PM

I took a hypnobirthing class & I highly recommend it. It's soul purpose is to release your fears so you can be completely relaxed during labor & let your body gradually open instead of forcing it to open. I'm due with my first in March and I am confident that using the hypnobirthing techniques I will have a relaxed, painless, natural birth. You can find out more & find a certified hypnobirthing instructor near you at hypnobirthing.com

Mack 12-10-2012 04:52 PM

Hire a doula! Worth every penny!

SaraElise 12-10-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DottieHarley (Post 15696072)
We found the jay Bradley book Husband Coached Childbirth to be very helpful as well as Ina May. IMO the best thing you can do is have a really supportive, informed birth partner.
Bradley class was super, super helpful.
We brought a combo radio/mp3 player/noisemaker and an ipod with a 24 hour playlist (lol). We had just gotten a Bob Dylan greatest hits cd. I distinctly remember resting while pushing and saying "i didnt know this song was dylan!"

Yes this!

We never took any classes, or really used any specific method, but having my husband be informed and advocate for me when I got to the crazy intense "I want an epidural" stage really helped!

I've asked for an epidural for 2 of my 3 births, but never actually got one because I was *so* close my husband and awesome nurses have been able to talk me through it and help me relax a little so I just didn't need it.

Making sure that everyone knows your wishes and will do what it takes to help you achieve your goals is the best thing you can do for those times when you are ready to give up.