Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Suggestions for kid friendly shows/movies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443890)

Connor 09-15-2012 10:11 PM

I'm considering introducing appropriate shows/movies to DS. I watch the cat in the hat movie tonight and was not impressed. I wasn't paying close attention but they said, "freak," "dirty hoe," etc.

I'm looking for something fun that doesn't use ugly words, violence, encourage misbehavior, etc.

Do they even exist?

I would love suggestions for educational shows and/or more cartoony, fun type shows. DS will be 3 in a couple weeks.

earthflower 09-15-2012 10:59 PM

Re: Suggestions for kid friendly shows/movies?

Fireman Sam, Max and Ruby, Little Bear
The Wiggles, Wonderpets, The Backyardigans, Super Why
Word World, Phineas and Ferb, Scooby Doo, Bindi the Jungle Girl, Zaboomafoo
The Care Bears Movie, Little Einsteins, Higglytown Heroes, Blue’s Clues, Rolie Polie Olie

qsefthuko 09-15-2012 11:18 PM

My sons favorite is the purple dinosaur BARNEY. Everyone else in the house hates it. He might be old enough to watch Dora the Explorer or Diego.

The Land Before Time series may be good. I don't remember anything bad but it has been a while since I have seen them. The great big dinos eating leaves at the start scared the living daylights out of my 15 month old son.

I DO NOT recommend Road to Eldorado. It showed a scene between the main character and a woman. All you could see were their heads but any adult knew what was being indicated. I just don't think that is appropriate for children.

Connor 09-15-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthflower
Fireman Sam, Max and Ruby, Little Bear
The Wiggles, Wonderpets, The Backyardigans, Super Why
Word World, Phineas and Ferb, Scooby Doo, Bindi the Jungle Girl, Zaboomafoo
The Care Bears Movie, Little Einsteins, Higglytown Heroes, Blue’s Clues, Rolie Polie Olie

Thanks!! :)

I'll have to do my research and find out what channels those shows come on. Do most of them still air or would I have to purchase dvds? Sorry, I'm completely out of the loop on children's shows.

escapethevillage 09-15-2012 11:21 PM

Robots, and Iron Giant are pretty nice, sweet movies.

Plus, if you can find it, Barney's Great adventure is popular around here. http://www.amazon.com/Barneys-Great-.../dp/B00007AJF6

Rolie Polie Olie Baby Bot Chase is cute too. (70 minutes)

My younger kids LOVE Rugrats the movie. But, it has some not-so-nice language. Things like "Stinker Diaper Babies".

And, of course the first Land Before Time is very sweet.

I haven't seen "Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs yet".

"UP" is good, and pretty.

escapethevillage 09-15-2012 11:22 PM

OH.. and Lorax!! The dancing bears are awesome.

The rescuers down under is very good, but a little scary for young kids.

Connor 09-15-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko
My sons favorite is the purple dinosaur BARNEY. Everyone else in the house hates it. He might be old enough to watch Dora the Explorer or Diego.

The Land Before Time series may be good. I don't remember anything bad but it has been a while since I have seen them. The great big dinos eating leaves at the start scared the living daylights out of my 15 month old son.

I DO NOT recommend Road to Eldorado. It showed a scene between the main character and a woman. All you could see were their heads but any adult knew what was being indicated. I just don't think that is appropriate for children.

Oh, what was implied in the "dirty hoe" scene on cat in the hat was disgusting!! In no way would that be appropriate for any child. :sadno:

wordbox 09-15-2012 11:30 PM

DS absolutely LOVES Super Why. It's a cute show, and it's not only about reading but also about helping others. I love that their super powers are reading, spelling, etc.

Other than that, we're big Nick Jr. fans. We have the Nick Jr. channel and I like that they don't have commercials, and the stuff in between shows is educational (things like singing with sign language, finding shapes or letters, getting up to exercise, etc.). DS loves The Fresh Beat Band. He also likes Dino Dan (which I find super annoying, but it's not a bad show), and will occasionally request Blue's Clues.

Connor 09-15-2012 11:31 PM

I guess I'm just really picky. For it to be ok for DS, I absolutely cannot have any "bad" words, name calling, etc. Sigh. I just hate that I'll have to preview kiddy shows, ugh. I have shows I'd rather watch when I lay down.

Another reason to keep the tv away I guess. Sounds like the easiest thing to do, lol.

I do want him to be able to enjoy a show or movie occasionally though, so I'll find the time to preview them eventually.

wordbox 09-15-2012 11:37 PM

Wow, I just looked up the Cat in the Hat thing. I can't stop laughing! But seriously, how did they think that was appropriate to put in a kid's movie? I know that a lot of times there is adult humor in kids movies that is above their heads, but really?

Here's a link for anyone who's curious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwXLvn2sd6I