Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   If your child had stitches in their forehead...update, 9 weeks later, page 6 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443934)

mariamommy 09-16-2012 07:45 AM

If your child had stitches in their forehead...update, 9 weeks later, page 6

Please tell me how it healed up. My dd (age 2) got 7 stitches on her forehead (long story, don't really want to go into it). She got through it all ok and seems fine, but I am concerned how the scar will look when it heals over time.
Would love to hear your experiences.
Thanks!

**** update and pic on page 6 *********

ralenth 09-16-2012 08:08 AM

Re: If your child had stitches in their forehead...

It totally depends on the doctor that stitches it up. My DD has had 3 sets of stitches, one on her forehead, and one like right at her eyebrow. The first one happened at preschool, the teacher was great, and we went immediately to the pediatricians office, who had their best stitches doctor available, and 3 years later you can't see it. The second time happened with in the same year, in the evening, and DH brought her to urgent care. Yeah, I can still see it. I am so not happy with what the did... I am wishing we had called the peds after hour number, or gone elsewhere.

SaraElise 09-16-2012 08:13 AM

yes it depends on the dr, and also the severity and shape of the cut. My son had stitches right above his eyebrow when he was about 15 months old. He is almost 4 now, and just now I checked to see how it looked and it took me a few minutes to even figure out what side it was on.

piccolo41099 09-16-2012 08:14 AM

Dd1 had her forehead glued and there is a scar. =(

keen1981 09-16-2012 08:26 AM

My son had 16 on his forehead. He fell, at 24 months, smack dab onto the top of a propane tank. The part where you pick it up to carry it? His food caught the edge of out patio and it was there, waiting to be refilled. It was random.

He had 6 sub layer and 10 on the top. Tiny perfect beautiful stitches. They healed wonderfully. The first year we used a sunscreen everyday on it. It was more red then. Now, a full two years later, it's a white line. I wouldn't say it's even raised. It's darn near as smooth as the skin around it!!!

*Katherine* 09-16-2012 08:26 AM

My DD had 5 stitches in her forehead last June (2011) and it's a faint scar, it's easier to see in person. And then last month, she bonked her head on our window sill and it made a dot above her scar so now she has the letter "i" on her forehead :giggle:

Here are a few photos (top left of her forehead-while looking at the pic):
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...99421848_n.jpg

Close up:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...83348064_n.jpg

pumkinsmommy 09-16-2012 08:31 AM

Did you have a plastic surgeon do it? If so, it will probably heal well. I think that over the counter scar reducer actually works, if you want to use it. When you have to have stitches in your child's face always wait for a plastic surgeon to be called. You have to say that is what you require.

kushie tushie 09-16-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy
Did you have a plastic surgeon do it? If so, it will probably heal well. I think that over the counter scar reducer actually works, if you want to use it. When you have to have stitches in your child's face always wait for a plastic surgeon to be called. You have to say that is what you require.

This!
My lip split in half at about 1 1/2. The ER doc recommended a plastic surgeon. She agreed and no one ever guesses I ripped my lip apart down to my chin. I have the most amazing scar!

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

MDever 09-16-2012 08:59 AM

Pretty much what everyone else said. DD1 had a few stitches right in the center of her forehead when she was 2yo. I wanted to add that when they take the stitches out you might ask for steristrips over the healing area. They took hers out on day 10 and because her forehead skin was tighter with no tissue underneath it pulled open a bit and left a not so nice scar. She is 10yo now and it bothers her. There is alays the option of scar revision with a plastic surgeon later. Avoiding infection is also very important. Infected lacerations do not heal well even with stiches.

The3LittleBerkhs 09-16-2012 09:04 AM

DS had his temple glued, and there's a huge scar :( I'm hoping it fades, but at least his hair is growing back and hiding it some.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using DS Forum