Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   how do I lose 10 lbs when i hate all healthy food! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443977)

nada87 09-16-2012 10:37 AM

how do I lose 10 lbs when i hate all healthy food!

Since quiting smoking in March i have gained 15lb. I need to lose 10, the extra 5 can stay as i was a little too skinny before. It order to not smoke i had been munching during my "smoke" times. Now i look in the mirror with dread. Half of my clothes don't fit right anymore. And i feel like crap a lot, the food i have been eating doesn't sit well after i eat. My problem is that i don't like most fruits veggies or nuts so i have no idea what to eat. I live off carbs and sugar.
I tried working out a couple months ago (30 day shred) but only made it 10 days in with little success. I lost maybe 2lbs but toned my muscles up a bit. This was during that horrible heat wave in July so i was eating ice cream like every day. The work out itself isn't what made me quit though. I quit because my back, knees and wrists hurt (the wrists were unrelated to working out but its hard to do push ups when your wrist keeps giving out).
I want to lose 5lbs by the end if the month but don't know where to start. I tried the my fitness pal app on my phone but kept running out of calories by dinner. I think i will start doing it again though, i just need ideas of what to eat.

KelseyH 09-16-2012 10:45 AM

What kind of carbs are you consuming? Try switching to 100% whole grain carbs. I think you will find that you consume a lot less calories that way since they are more filling.
Do you like Greek yogurt? Chobani Greek yogurt is naturally fat free and it's very high in protein. Stay away from the yogurts with fruit or fruit on the bottom, as they are basically yogurt and jam (sugar). Try sweetening it with a touch of raw honey.
What kind of veggies do you like? Carrots and celery are great "munchy" foods since they are low in calories and good for you! I know you said you're not crazy about fruit, but if you get a sugar craving, have you tried some berries to take the edge off? Ripe blueberries and raspberries are so sweet they're almost a dessert item for me.
That's all I've got off the top of my head. hope that helps :)

l_Kimmie_l 09-16-2012 10:48 AM

Re: how do I lose 10 lbs when i hate all healthy food!

You unfortuneately need to eat less of your carbs or eat healthy. It is a life style change like quitting smoking. I did the same after quitting. It was then hard to quit carbs, but I did that too. Try frozen fruit. It is cold and refreshing and very sweet. Works well for munchies. I can eat a huige bowl of it and feel full and not gain. Worth looking into. Black cherries, berries, and medleys are the best. Can be bought in the pie section of the freezer at the grocery store. It really helped me tame my need for carbs and sweets.

Hard candy too can help as you eat less, and you can have more for your cal intake. Stay away from chocolate, ice cream, etc. If you must, try WW brand as it will have less calories than other brands.

simplyleah87 09-16-2012 11:08 AM

You have to be honest with yourself, you're going to have to work for it! You need to be burning 300 calories every time you work out. Start with 3 times a week and build it up.

You should also cut out as much sugar and pre packaged processed food as possible. Which means you have to eat protein and fiber! (veggies) maybe try steaming them or try dipping in hummus or something.

It's amazing that you've quit smoking! Good luck with the weight loss!

luvsviola 09-16-2012 11:41 AM

Myfitnesspal.com

It changed my life and how I look at food. After about a week I learned to be "full" with less.

huntressxx 09-16-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola
Myfitnesspal.com

It changed my life and how I look at food. After about a week I learned to be "full" with less.

Yea that!

nada87 09-16-2012 11:51 AM

I have been slowly trying to make healthy changes. I added a fiber supplement to my morning routine. I am substituting fruit smoothies for ice cream. I bought a couple bags of baby carrots to take to work as my mid afternoon snack instead of the junk food i usually end up grabbing.
I hate celery and hummus so i won't eat anything that involves either. I refuse to eat anything that contains artificial sweetener too.
Maybe if i get some apples i can try eating those at work too. I am not a big berry person, plus berries are kind of expensive. I do like bananas and grapes so maybe some of those too. Sorry if i am rambling but it helps me think.

abunchoflemons 09-16-2012 12:19 PM

Try 100 cal snack packs & like alli or slim fast?

KelseyH 09-16-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nada87
I have been slowly trying to make healthy changes. I added a fiber supplement to my morning routine. I am substituting fruit smoothies for ice cream. I bought a couple bags of baby carrots to take to work as my mid afternoon snack instead of the junk food i usually end up grabbing.
I hate celery and hummus so i won't eat anything that involves either. I refuse to eat anything that contains artificial sweetener too.
Maybe if i get some apples i can try eating those at work too. I am not a big berry person, plus berries are kind of expensive. I do like bananas and grapes so maybe some of those too. Sorry if i am rambling but it helps me think.

Yay for fruit smoothies! I forgot about those :) they are my DH's go-to for sweetness cravings. Apples are great, especially if you can get the smaller ones. They pack quite a bit of fiber for such a little snack. :) And good for you about not consuming artificial sweeteners! Not many people will say that and many more don't know just how terrible they are for you. I use sucanat in all my baking/cooking for anything that can't be sweetened with raw honey.

I would recommend checking out In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan from your local library. Reading The South Beach Diet book would be good, too - not necessarily for the diet portion of it, but the mass of information on nutrition, food processing, body function, and glycemic index! I learned a LOT from those two books and apply a lot from them to my life (even though I'm no longer on the South Beach Diet). Both of those books were very helpful in my and DH's lifestyle change.

l_Kimmie_l 09-16-2012 02:02 PM

Frozen grapes are awesome and peaches! YUm! They sell them in a bag in your grocery isle with frozen fruit. You can even get frozen bananas that taste like candy. Great when you are craving finger foods at night or bored.