Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone have a sensitive 4yo who can't deal with movies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443992)

kangasox 09-16-2012 11:36 AM

Anyone have a sensitive 4yo who can't deal with movies?

My 4.5yo is super sensitive. She has tv shows she likes, but sometimes it would be fun to watch a movie as a family. But we cannot find a movie she can tolerate. She gets so stressed and cries and asks to fast forward at any sign of conflict/turmoil/grumps, which pretty much every movie has! Anyone have a kid like this? Did you ever find a movie option that you can watch as a family?

isabelsmummy 09-16-2012 12:07 PM

Re: Anyone have a sensitive 4yo who can't deal with movies?

My dd is 8 and she can only just watch movies now! And even then they are pretty fluffy ones. Barbie, those ones with the dogs like Space Dogs...

Best strategy we found was old ones from when I was a kid - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Apple Dumpling Gang, Bednobs & Broomsticks... much less drama in those.

cmarsh31 09-16-2012 12:28 PM

Yes. Both my kids. We can *barely* get through The Little Mermaid (Cinderella is ok), Beauty & the Beast is impossible, etc. DS is the same way. We don't do family movies yet.

sandhillcranes 09-16-2012 01:20 PM

My almost 3 yr old son.he is super sensitive to movies. Nemo was ok till the end, when the fish falls to the ground, then tear fest!
Callilou almsot always ends in tears. Sometimes even "yo gabba gabba". If someone gets hurt, sad, angry, loud, it can make him cry. He has been this way since infancy. I used to sing "wheels on bus"..when we would get to the "babies on the bus go wahh" he would cry if i even twisted my face up into a cry looking face. He used to cry at the sound of sneezing. He does NOT like loud noises unless he knows its coming, so to speak. Ie. if kids are going crazy and it gets louder and louder he is fine. Sudden loud noises get him.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

sandhillcranes 09-16-2012 01:21 PM

So far, our list is toy story, cars, and the lorax.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Leiiki 09-16-2012 02:29 PM

Eloise is a good one. I don't really like Barbie, but her movies are generally pretty fluffy. The Leapfrog movies are tame but not very interesting for adults.

Nanner99 09-16-2012 04:01 PM

My oldest was that way. I honestly can't remember watching anything but PBS kids when she was young. The good news is, she got less sensitive as she got older.

mariamommy 09-16-2012 05:16 PM

My oldest dd is like this. She watched Up and had nightmares about the dogs chasing her for months. She is super sensitive to the thematic elements in most movies. I think its just something they outgrow, and in the meantime, he very careful with what they are exposed to. She is 6.5 now and still can't handle certain things, like the fighting saber tooth tigers in Ice Age. My son however is the opposite, he isn't scared of anything! He is 2 yrs younger than my oldest dd.

mkrisel 09-16-2012 05:25 PM

Not there with dd yet, but I couldnt handle much as a kid. Bambi, Dumbo, Old Yeller, etc. were too much for me. Not that it solves your current problem, but I'm just fine now!

qsefthuko 09-16-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isabelsmummy (Post 15690074)
My dd is 8 and she can only just watch movies now! And even then they are pretty fluffy ones. Barbie, those ones with the dogs like Space Dogs...

Best strategy we found was old ones from when I was a kid - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Apple Dumpling Gang, Bednobs & Broomsticks... much less drama in those.

I think these were the best choices for us. Our kids could watch them early on and even I could sit through them.

All my kid. My daughter cried when a robot died. My son couldn't handle anything with sad endings until around 6-7. My 15 month old cried and came running to me when he saw dinosaurs eating LEAVES of all things.