Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   If you had no pain meds and tore (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444032)

HeatherlovesCDs 09-16-2012 02:28 PM

If you had no pain meds and tore

If you didn't have any pain meds and you tore, did it hurt? Did you realize you were tearing? I've had 3 prior births (technically 5, 2 sets of twins). But, I had an epi through pushing with my first (but not till I was 9cms and it was a total mistake to get the epi at all). With my second delivery, I had the epi until I was pushing when it was turned off, but I'm sure I still had the affects of it. The dr. gave me an episodomy (sp?) without my knowledge or consent. :banghead: The 3rd time, I tore again. I'd had the epi, but again it was turned off for pushing. With the first, I felt almost nothing through the entire 2.5 hrs of pushing. With the 2nd and 3rd, I definitely felt pain, but I'm sure it wasn't full on because of the left overs from the epi. I was not aware of the tearing until it was done and I was being stitched up.

So, now, I'm going to be having my 4th labor in a few weeks. I'm not getting any pain meds this time. One thing I'm nervous about is the tear that I'm sure I'm going to have. Am I going to feel myself ripping? :cry:I am trying to assume that I won't because the pain and pushing will be so intense that I won't know the pain of tearing from the pain of pushing baby out. But, I'm nervous and I find myself thinking about it.

Insight? Experiences?

junebug2311 09-16-2012 02:31 PM

I didn't have an epi with my daughter. I ripped in 3 places. It was 4-5 hours of labor, 15 mins of pushing. I didn't feel myself tearing at all. When my midwife told me I tore I was actually surprised. The sewing up afterwards was what hurt, in my opinion.

makclair 09-16-2012 02:37 PM

I had no pain meds or epi w my daughter. I actually did not feel much of anything during the actual delivery .. I think all the pressure from her head was a positive and it was all fast. I did not feel the ring of fire like people talk about . I tore in two places but didn't realize till afterwards when she had to do lidocaine and stitches which I felt! I would absolutely do it med free again

jemanly02 09-16-2012 02:42 PM

Re: If you had no pain meds and tore

I had no pain meds and never even realized I tore until I was told. I could, however, feel every stitch.

Holly dolly 09-16-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemanly02
I had no pain meds and never even realized I tore until I was told. I could, however, feel every stitch.

This. The stitches were awful. I couldn't stop squirming. Worse than birth by far. :)

Ebeuchat 09-16-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemanly02

Same here! Crazy burning feeling!

tlc981 09-16-2012 04:03 PM

I felt the burning when he crowned, but not sure if that was the tearing. I tore my cervix and perineum. Only needed 1 stitch in each place. When she stitched my cervix, no pain meds b/c she said a needle to give numbing medication would make it bleed more. I think they gave me a shot for the other stitch, but not sure if they waited for it to take effect (woman in room next to me was at a 10 ready to push the same time as I was but she had an epi and didn't have the urge, and I was drug free and was involuntarily pushing). I didn't feel either one, not even the shot. I was on a natural high lol

snugglesnsunshine 09-16-2012 04:07 PM

No pain meds, 6 births. Episiotomy first birth. Yuk. Tore the next 2 times. Didnt know till dr. Said it. Getting stitched up is not fun but doesnt last long. My last three births--- no tearing. So heres my advice. Take it or leave it.
1. Rub EPO down there from 36 weeks till birth. The EPO stinks but who cares?
2. don't push with all your might (unless a medical emergency and you need the baby out NOW), try to control pushing, like you're holding back a little.
3. Angle pelvis when pushing like youre aiming toward the ceiling or high up on the wall.
My last babe came out with 2 small pushes and was delivered by a nurse because it was so fast.

newmommy13 09-16-2012 04:25 PM

i don't think its a sure thing that you will tear again, especially if you are able to labor and birth in different positions so baby can get her/his head positioned correctly.

i felt the ring of fire very intensely and thought for sure i was tearing. my MW had told me at a prenatal appointment that if i felt burning to tell her where (burning top, burning right etc) but i didn't know why. during my pushing she was applying olive oil to my perineum and i was screaming "burning top burning top!" and she was very liberal with the olive oil in that location. i did not tear but i did have a little "skid mark" she called it, which is just a little part of my labia that stretched out a little. not bad for delivering a 9.5lb baby flat on my back!

songbird516 09-16-2012 05:03 PM

Yes, and when you're pushing don't listen to them if they're yelling at you to push push push! It's really hard not to, but it's not in your best interest. Listen to your body and push when your body tells you to. Don't hold your breath either.

I had a small tear with my first and didn't feel it specifically. I think that pushing felt the same with both babies but I didn't tear at all with my second, even though he came super fast. I was on my side in the tub with him and no one yelling at me or telling me what to do.