Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Chili recipe good for toddler too (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444054)

DecsMama 09-16-2012 02:46 PM

Chili recipe good for toddler too

My 1.5 yo eats what we eat, so I'm looking for a chili recipe that would be good for him too. I think most recipes would probably be too spicy for him. Thanks!

Fashionably Green Baby 09-16-2012 03:00 PM

Have you tried spicy food to see if he likes it? Our kids love spicy food and all started eating spicy stuff at 10 to 12 months old. Their favorite food is Indian food and they get it spiced to medium

graceworks 09-18-2012 12:43 PM

Re: Chili recipe good for toddler too

or just go easy on the hot spices if you want it mild. don't add much chili powder or hot peppers if any

Mama*Kim 09-18-2012 01:40 PM

Chili powder is generally not spicy (unless, of course, it's labeled as such), so that should be fine. If the recipe calls for cayenne, chipotles, or red pepper flakes, consider reducing those. I would probably just make a recipe as you like it and let him try it.

blackbirdmama*3 09-18-2012 01:41 PM

I always fed them the regular recipe. We eat things somewhat spicy and none of mine every had a problem with it. Dh likes his more spicy so he will add red pepper flakes to his bowl.

hpfgirl 09-18-2012 01:50 PM

I was suprised, my toddler loves spicy food.

HeatherlovesCDs 09-18-2012 03:53 PM

I just make a very basic chilli because we don't like spicy food. I can post the recipe I used a couple of days ago later. My kids don't eat it though. But, it's because they are picky and don't tend to like meat dishes. I also haven't made it in a VERY long time. So, it was new to them, which rarely goes over very well. LOL. However, one of my 2 year olds really liked it. :)

Liadan23 09-18-2012 04:48 PM

ditto everyone else. my 3 yr old LOVES spicy food. i don't generally do anything different for him. we just had chili last week and he inhaled it. sometimes, if we're having a particularly spicy dish, i do cut down a bit on the red/cayenne pepper or whatever spice is giving it the "heat" but usually it's not a problem. i would just go with your normal recipe and cut down whatever is giving it the spiciness (cayenne pepper, hot red pepper flakes, chile powder (not to be confused with chili powder which is a spice mix and not generally very hot)

Just Ducky 09-18-2012 08:04 PM

You can use almost any recipe. To reduce the heat, cut way back on the pepper based spices and add caramelized onions and garlic for to compensate for the reduced flavor.

nicolemariep 09-18-2012 08:07 PM

Our kiddos usually like their food a little spicy so we make it like normal, and if it's too much for them, we mix in some cheese and sour cream to theirs (which is always yummy anyway).