Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fav Cookbook? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444129)

med98 09-16-2012 08:15 PM

Fav Cookbook?

I am in need of a new cookbook...or two LOL! I have my standby's but I really would like something new and really don't know where to start. I was going to go with Pioneer Woman's new one, reviews??

What is your favorite cookbook?

Thanks! :)

mama_to_DJM 09-16-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Fav Cookbook?

Anything by Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen. What type of recipes are you looking for, and I can help narrow it down?

med98 09-16-2012 09:03 PM

Simple ;) No fancy ingredients ykwim? We like soups, stews, casseroles etc. Crock pot maybe? I should use mine more but get tired if the couple recipes I do have for it.
I guess I'm mainly looking for main dish cookbooks, not really desserts, cookies, etc.

:)

BrownCowMama 09-16-2012 09:24 PM

Pioneer Woman!! Recipes easy enough for a mommy of 3 little ones to make, and no ingredients from far away places and things you can't pronounce :)

med98 09-16-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownCowMama (Post 15691972)
Pioneer Woman!! Recipes easy enough for a mommy of 3 little ones to make, and no ingredients from far away places and things you can't pronounce :)

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! :)

mama_to_DJM 09-17-2012 03:39 PM

The Best Make-Ahead Recipe by Cook's Illustrated is good- it has all categories of food. I haven't tried this one, but they also have a "The Best 30-Minute Recipe" cookbook. Another to check out is "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook". It's a simpler format than the other books, and has more pictures.

Mama*Kim 09-17-2012 11:08 PM

Of the million cookbooks I've owned, I always go back to the basic Betty Crocker book. My favorite thing about it is the charts. There's charts for how much water to use with different rices, best methods for cooking different veggies, etc. I've given copies to several people for their first homes.

danielle 09-19-2012 05:38 AM

The Joy of Cooking is my go-to book. It has everything, plus information about the various ingredients we use. I also subscribe to Cooks Illustrated online.

But if I want the straight recipe, easy to use and tried and true, I DON'T go to allrecipes.com; I go to Joy of Cooking.

Mama*Kim 09-19-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danner
But if I want the straight recipe, easy to use and tried and true, I DON'T go to allrecipes.com; I go to Joy of Cooking.

Yup. The only thing I use allrecipes for is inspiration. If I know I want to use a particular ingredient, I might search it on allrecipes just to spark my creativity. Most of the time, I just read the titles and don't even read the actual recipes. I constantly have friends calling me saying "I made such-and-such from allrecipes and it didn't turn out. What happened?"

Epicurious.com is wonderful and they have a great iPad app.

Just Ducky 09-19-2012 02:10 PM

My favorite cook book these days is Food Network's website. Does that count? :giggle2:

Seriously though, I tend to prefer cookbooks that specialize because my experience is that they are better than more general cookbooks (and if I want a recipe that my specialized books don't have I really do pull it off of the internet). For example, I use Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads for bread recipes and Sweet Miniatures: The Art of Making Bite-Size Desserts for bite sized sweets when I'm entertaining.