Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Supplement For Older BF Baby (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444380)

seacat 09-17-2012 12:21 PM

Supplement For Older BF Baby

I have a nine month old who has only had BM. He's just about 22 lbs and 30 inches, so a big boy. I am a WOHM and I am generally able to keep up with intake while I'm at work (16-20 oz per day 8-5). I have a two night work trip in October that I have to attend. I have some milk stored about 12 bags or so and I can eek out a couple more before I go, but I hate to leave DH with just enough milk. We co-sleep so, it will be a trial for DH as it is. He's mama's boy. What would you leave in case they run out?

l_Kimmie_l 09-17-2012 12:38 PM

Re: Supplement For Older BF Baby

Me? I would leave soy formula. Just in case he needs it. I say soy as his tummy may not be used to that much milk protein.

l_Kimmie_l 09-17-2012 12:38 PM

Me? I would leave soy formula. Just in case he needs it. I say soy as his tummy may not be used to that much milk protein.

lilmomma83 09-17-2012 01:39 PM

I'd ask a friend for a few ounces of frozen milk, of my little had no allergies. Secondly, I'd make my own formula, it tastes a lot better, and, IMO much safer (I know that's arguable) off use goat milk to make it.

seacat 09-17-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmomma83 (Post 15694743)
I'd ask a friend for a few ounces of frozen milk, of my little had no allergies. Secondly, I'd make my own formula, it tastes a lot better, and, IMO much safer (I know that's arguable) off use goat milk to make it.

Could I just try him out on some goat's milk? He does eat solids including yogurt. He'll be ten months. What's your formula recipe?

l_Kimmie_l 09-17-2012 01:58 PM

I have made my own goat's milk formula. I added 1 dose of liquid children's vitamin and fish oil for vit B and fat. My boys liked it better than formula.

seacat 09-17-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l (Post 15694826)
I have made my own goat's milk formula. I added 1 dose of liquid children's vitamin and fish oil for vit B and fat. My boys liked it better than formula.

Perfect thanks! I don't really want to go down the formula route because its just for 48 hours and a few bottles, so this is perfect. I should've have put in the post I was looking for the most natural solution.

songbird516 09-17-2012 02:26 PM

Just try to avoid UHT pasteurized goat milk. Raw is best but low-temp pastuerized would be better than UHT.
I get raw cows milk so I would probably just mix it with breastmilk. Actually I have done that once already because I spilled half of what I pumped one day! He didn't notice a difference and even his bowel movements were pretty much the same.

l_Kimmie_l 09-17-2012 02:26 PM

You can buy Myanburge's goat's milk in powder, condensed, or fresh at Walmart, Hannaford, or Whole Foods.

seacat 09-17-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516 (Post 15694971)
Just try to avoid UHT pasteurized goat milk. Raw is best but low-temp pastuerized would be better than UHT.
I get raw cows milk so I would probably just mix it with breastmilk. Actually I have done that once already because I spilled half of what I pumped one day! He didn't notice a difference and even his bowel movements were pretty much the same.

I hear you! I avoid UHT for my two year old and we do low temp non homogenized milk. I haven't been able to bring myself to do raw, but its the next best IMO.