Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Coconut milk recipes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444616)

themaelane 09-17-2012 11:33 PM

Coconut milk recipes?

Alrighty - I've got a container of coconut milk and I don't know what to put it in! Actually 2 containers, one is staying in the freezer and I'm getting one out.

We got it to use as a milk-replacer, but I've gotten so used to cooking without milk (DD is dairy, egg, and peanut allergic) that I can't think of how to use it! I need the freezer space and want to use it.

I found a recipe to use it to thicken a zucchini soup (good b/c I have some zucchini in the fridge to use), and realized I could probably thicken other soups too (though I have no other recipes for that).

Any other ideas? Cooking or baking, either way. Thanks!

CMamma 09-18-2012 06:30 AM

Re: Coconut milk recipes?

I make a great mushroom sauce with coconut milk here. It's a replacement for alfredo since we have allergies here.

1/4 c EVOO
1 onion
Minced garlic (I use a lot, but do what you guys like to taste)
1 t rosemary (dry)
1 t thyme (dry)
2 tsp cilantro (fresh)
2 c mushrooms (fresh)
1/4 flour (your choice - I use a GF flour here, or a little xanthum gum)
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
salt to taste
pepper to taste

I just heat the oil on low until it's warmed up & then toss everything else in there. I do it in a pot. Basically just cook on M or L & whisk until it starts to get to the thickness you like.

mel j 09-18-2012 07:31 AM

I've been wanting to try coconut ice cream...but you may have done that already... if so I'd love the recipe, lol. I put it in oatmeal sometimes.

CMamma 09-18-2012 10:00 AM

You can also make yogurt out of it. I buy shredded coconut in bulk & make my own milk to save money here.

iwiamandaiwi 09-18-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMamma (Post 15697492)
I make a great mushroom sauce with coconut milk here. It's a replacement for alfredo since we have allergies here.

1/4 c EVOO
1 onion
Minced garlic (I use a lot, but do what you guys like to taste)
1 t rosemary (dry)
1 t thyme (dry)
2 tsp cilantro (fresh)
2 c mushrooms (fresh)
1/4 flour (your choice - I use a GF flour here, or a little xanthum gum)
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
salt to taste
pepper to taste

I just heat the oil on low until it's warmed up & then toss everything else in there. I do it in a pot. Basically just cook on M or L & whisk until it starts to get to the thickness you like.

Mmmmm! This sounds so good! Does the cilantro make it spicy?

I use it in chicken adobo and it makes it extra delish! Here is what I do for a recipe.

like 3 or 4 boneless chicken breasts
2c vinegar
2c soy sauce
2 bay leaves
2tsp minces garlic

brown the minced garlic in some evoo (in the bottom of a pot not a shallow pan) and then add all the ingredients and let simmer for at least an hour (covered). Give it a stir every now and then. When chicken is cooked through, moist, and falling apart go ahead and add like a cup of coconut milk, remove from heat and mix together until creamy....Mmmmm now I want to make some for dinner tonight. I serve it over rice and it makes a really great sauce. You can even add onions if you'd like, it adds great depth of flavor but mine is a onion hating house so I omit it. If you are going to add onion I would sautee it before browing the garlic. oh and I know bay leaves is a weird ingredient in chicken adobo but don't skip it, it really adds a great flavor that you can't get without it :)

mel j 09-18-2012 02:09 PM

Oh yeah... you can use it to cook rice too to make coconut rice. I haven't tried it though, but I've seen some recipes online for "Thai coconut rice".

keonli 09-18-2012 02:11 PM

Do you like spicy foods? Curry is great with coconut milk!

Leocaligirl 09-18-2012 05:00 PM

ice ceam or yogurt. YUMMY!

CMamma 09-18-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi (Post 15698293)
Mmmmm! This sounds so good! Does the cilantro make it spicy?

No, I don't think so anyway. My youngest is so sensitive to spices, so I try to make things that aren't spicy. He complains about everything! You could use parsley if you prefer. I tend to swap them out for each other depending on which one I have on hand. I go through spices fast, so I never know.

themaelane 09-21-2012 10:15 PM

Hey!! Sorry I took so long to get back to my own thread! Its been a crazy week and I've still got the milk frozen :)

I used to love a recipe that used cream of mushroom soup! It was some thin meat...salami? and then chicken on that, surrounded by bacon, and then after that cooks, cover it with cream of mushroom soup. With DD being allergic to milk, that's a recipe that I've not done...so I can try that now!

We have oatmeal ALL the time, and rice too...why didn't I think of putting it in them? Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Speaking of obvious, ice cream and yogurt seem obvious....but I'm very afraid of them! Anyone have any good recipes?

That chicken adobo dish sounds delish! I need to go buy some chicken!

We don't really like spicy foods....ok DH does, but not me or DD. When I looked up coconut recipes online that's all I found, spicy Thai food.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've also just made up some chicken broth (boiled down the remainder of a chicken that was VERY good from the farmer's market) and was thinking of thickening some soup with the coconut milk. Any hints on this, or just trial by fire?