Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   EBF and afraid of cereal (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14447)

EmnJJsMom 06-14-2006 07:50 PM

EBF and afraid of cereal

My daughter is over 5 months old now (barely) and at her 4 month appointment her pediatrician told me I should start cereal...I didn't...I know it isn't necessary for a 4 month old to have cereal and in fact she can benefit from the wait. She listened to my feelings on it and tried to convince me it would help her reflux and yada yada yada... She said the most I should wait is until 6 months to start it. I know that's going to creep up on me fast and I probably still won't be ready. Her reasoning is that if I wait past 6 months she probably won't take it. My reasoning that I don't want to start it is because she has such bad reflux, I've read that cereal can cause the acids to sit in the base of their esophagus (sp) rather than them spitting it up and cause esophagitis (sp) She is gaining weight at a high rate as it is. At her 4 month appt she was almost 17 lbs (7 lbs at birth) I was just curious what all your veiws were on the issue so I know whether I'm alone or not on this LOL

Jemgirl 06-14-2006 08:01 PM

Re: EBF and afraid of cereal

my son is 8 months.......dr told me at 4 to give cereal - i didn't! he told me at 6 months he should be on cereal, i tried for a week to give him homemade organic rice cereal.........he wouldn't have it! i tried a couple days at 7 months w/ homemade organic oats.....he wouldn't take that either! So here he is 8 months.......all he wants is bm (unless he finds it on the floor - LOL!). I'm gonna try some avocado this week.....but if he doesn't want it, I'm not gonna fight him. He's not suffering......he's tripled his weight since birth! So it's not like he's not getting what he needs.......I mean the boy has over 11" thighs:giggle:
I say go with your gut, and do what feels right for you!
:hugs:
Jeme

dee1972 06-14-2006 08:05 PM

I don't have any information or experience with reflux, but my understanding on cereal is that there is a "window". Too soon is bad, but too late can also cause them to develop allergies. I don't have any real experience with this either, but my youngest is now 14.5 months and he was my longest holdout. I didn't listen to the doctor this time and he was 6 months before he started cereal. From everything I've read 8 months seems to be at the upper limit of that "window". 6 was right for us, but it may not be for you. I would try at 6 months, but only a tablespoon or two. Then wait a few days for any reaction. If there isn't any, do it again and wait 1 day less than you did the first time. Go with your gut and good luck! :)

Dee
Mom to 7 on Cape Cod

EmnJJsMom 06-14-2006 09:37 PM

She still spits up if I give her tylenol, and a cat hair in her tummy will make her puke... So I'm just nervous about it still. Mentally she is very ready, she tries to steal my food and "chews" while she watches me eat. Gets excited and kicks and makes noise whenever she sees someone eating, but I think physically her digestion system isnt ready.

9800Emily 06-14-2006 10:01 PM

My pedi suggested the same, cereal at 4 months. I tried but dd wouldn't have it, she has no interest in anything but breast milk. She is just over 5 months also. When I talked to the pedi about it, she said that as long as dd would take some cereal by 9 months that it would be fine. The way she explained it was that introducing food is to help prevent allergies from waiting to long and get their little tummy's use to having something solid in them. She also told me that it was only necessary for dd to have solids every 2 to 3 days as long as she was breast feeding 5 or more times per day.

I think you will know when your dd is ready, and personally I would wait till then. Just my :2cents: .

kris10s 06-14-2006 10:04 PM

I'm holding out 'til at least 6 months with my reflux-y 5.5 month old, and will try some avacado or even possibly yogurt* first, then cereal.

* because yogurt has the cultures in it, some crunchy-type experts think it is easier on reflux-y babes than other things. We're not dairy free, but if we were I'd try soy or goat's milk yogurt.

bfoster2000 06-14-2006 10:49 PM

I think you have to go with your gut and do what feels right for you. I know that there are concerns about waiting too long to start but I haven't done a lot of research into that because we started "early" so I was more concerned about the other end of the spectrum. :)

My personal feeling is that you need to start when your baby is ready. So no, I don't like for someone to say you have to start cereal just because your baby is 4 months. On the other hand, I don't particularly like to see a mama trying to keep things away from a baby who is ready just because she wants to hold out till 6 months or a year or whatever (not saying that's what you're doing, but there are some). I think you need to follow *your* baby's lead and do what's right for your situation...not focus on the calendar either way. That's just my :2cents: though! :D

With DJ, he was my first, so I was very interested in the "rules" but also tried to use common sense and do what felt natural to me. We started with rice cereal mixed with ebm and then went to pureed fruits and veggies. It didn't take long to figure out though that he preferred foods with more texture. He didn't care for the thin purees and liked them thicker and chunkier. He was eating finger foods by the time he was 5-6 months...and mostly "people food". We only used "baby food" if we were having something that was just completely inappropriate for him or if we weren't eating at all. With this baby, I plan to skip the cereal/babyfood altogether and just give people food when it feels right. In the beginning, solids are more about experimenting with tastes and textures anyway so I'll give a taste of whatever is appropriate when it feels right and go from there. I don't know your baby at all so I am hardly in a position to make a recommendation, but if I had a 5-6 month old who was showing interest in food, I'd probably start giving them tastes. If I'm eating a banana, I'd break a tiny piece off and let the baby taste/feel it. If I'm eating potatoes, same thing. Doing that way, they're not going to get enough to upset their tummy but they will get to experiment and over time, they'll start taking more and more... but you can follow their lead.

The bottom line though is that you have to trust your mama instincts. Don't feel like you have to be pressured to start because of a date on the calendar...but don't be afraid to either...kwim?

KaleidoscopeEyes 06-14-2006 11:37 PM

I think it's pretty standard that most Dr's say you can start it at 4 months. Both mine did. I didn't bother with it, honestly its just too messy. I waited until they were able to pick stuff up for themselves and eat foods.

kris10s 06-14-2006 11:41 PM

I think it's weird that so many peds still tell patients they can give solids at 4 months. The American Academy of Pediatrics used to give the green light to starting rice cereal at 4 months, but they have changed their tune and now recommend a full six months of exclusive breastfeeding before starting any solids.

This changed recommendation is due to solid research. In one study comparing two control groups of mothers starting solids at 4 vs. 6 months, the benefits were varied and obvious. The mothers who started solids at six months lost more of their pregnancy weight and their babies crawled and walked earlier. Summary studies show that introducing solids before six months has been linked to decreased immunity to diseases, a whole host of gastrointestinal problems, more allergies and orthodontic problems and the longer an infant is exclusively breastfed, the more benefits on future intelligence.

Prettylocks 06-14-2006 11:51 PM

My baby had reflux, too. It just went away at about 5.5 months. Never affected his weight or temperment, so I never worried about it. I EBF, too and my baby didn't have any food until he was 6 months old to the day. Even then it was squash and vegetables and not even every day, not cereal for another couple months. Follow your insticts. And find a different ped :giggle:

ps I was talking about DS#2, but I also waited 6 months to give DS#1 anything but breastmilk, and when I did, I cried :lostit: Something about his dependence on me and our connection changing...