Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need to make a side dish for tonight. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444768)

Mommamassey 09-18-2012 11:15 AM

Need to make a side dish for tonight.

We have been invited to a family dinner tonight they're serving barbecued chicken and rolls have been asked to bring a side dish. Really don't know what to make because I am at work so I need something fast. There will be eight adults and six small children. Any ideas?????

babycat42 09-18-2012 11:23 AM

Re: Need to make a side dish for tonight.

My mom's go to sidedish is pasta salad.
Cook pasta. Run cold water on it until it's not hot then stick in freezer.
Chop up some fresh broccoli. Grab random veggies like shredded carrots, baby tomatoes, cucumbers and some green onions.
Pull the pasta out of the fridge after about 20 mins. Put everything in a big bowl and pour a bottle of ranch on it. Keep refrigerated until serving.
Or just buy potato salad from the deli.

happysmileylady 09-18-2012 11:26 AM

Sliced/raw veggies. For BBQ chicken, something like 5 or 6 cucumbers, peeled and sliced, sprinkle with salt, good stuff. Super quick, healthy, little prep.

nursenmom 09-18-2012 11:27 AM

fruit salad: whatever random fruit is on sale or you like chopped up and thrown in a big bowl!

CMamma 09-18-2012 12:10 PM

Do you have sweet potatoes? I make sweet potato fries & my family seriously cannot get enough of them. Just slice them into fry sized pieces, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper & garlic powder. Cook at 400 for about 10-20 mins, depending on how much. Toss them a couple times during cooking. They are DELICIOUS!!

kimb96 09-18-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMamma (Post 15699134)
Do you have sweet potatoes? I make sweet potato fries & my family seriously cannot get enough of them. Just slice them into fry sized pieces, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper & garlic powder. Cook at 400 for about 10-20 mins, depending on how much. Toss them a couple times during cooking. They are DELICIOUS!!

Oooh, that sounds yummy! I've got some sweet potatoes I need to use up so I am totally going to try this this week.

My go to side for any kind of bbq is cole slaw. I chop up a head of cabbage and a small head of purple cabbage. 1 onion chopped. 2-3 carrots shredded. For the sauce, I use mayonaise with sugar to taste and a dash of vinegar. To save time, you can just pick up a couple bags of shredded cole slaw and just do the sauce. Super easy and it goes well with bbq.

Leocaligirl 09-18-2012 04:04 PM

Potatoes. Cut them in half. Sezson the cut halves with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and whatever other herbs you like. Place them on a piece of tin foil that you have liberally spread butter & olive oil on and throw them on the BBQ. YUMMY! Yu can also cook them in the over the same eay on a cookie sheet.