Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   9 mo. baby doesn't like to eat solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444897)

tundra 09-18-2012 04:39 PM

9 mo. baby doesn't like to eat solids

My baby doesn't seem very interested in solids. She is nearly 9 months old and has been eating them since 5 months. Her meals are always super small, like a couple spoonfuls half the time. She just won't eat more. Sometimes she'll amaze me and eat a lot, but usually not. I've only kept her on one solids meal per day since she doesn't seem very interested. Should I be trying to feed her multiple times a day even if she doesn't seem to be interested?

seacat 09-18-2012 06:02 PM

Re: 9 mo. baby doesn't like to eat solids

You might try twice a day. I also have a nine month old almost ten month old and he just has a few bites here and there. Not a problem because most of the calories should be from BM or formula at this age. Also, you might try her with finger foods. DS2 freaks out for cheese shreds, apple shreds, carrot, cherrios etc. because he can feed himself. DS2 also really likes yogurt.

tundra 09-18-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seacat (Post 15700567)
You might try twice a day. I also have a nine month old almost ten month old and he just has a few bites here and there. Not a problem because most of the calories should be from BM or formula at this age. Also, you might try her with finger foods. DS2 freaks out for cheese shreds, apple shreds, carrot, cherrios etc. because he can feed himself. DS2 also really likes yogurt.

Does your ds2 have many teeth? I still haven't moved beyond pureed fruits and veg for my tot. She has 2 bottom teeth.

WilliamsMama 09-18-2012 07:30 PM

My son only has 2 bottom teeth and LOVES grapes (peeled and cut up), cheese, pieces of wheat bread, puffs, yogurt drops, shreds of chicken, beans, etc. He eats them well. He will be 9 months on Friday.

qsefthuko 09-18-2012 07:43 PM

Some mamas ebf the first year.
Although my daughter was demanding solid food at 5 1/2 months neither of my boys were interested in solids much until at least 12 months. Anytime my kids would get sick they would also refuse soids and only breastfeed. My 15 month old is sick right now and has ebf poo frequently. I gave them some food when we ate. It didn't matter if they ate or just played with it as long as they were still breastfeeding. Or if you bottle feed they are getting enough formula.

I have read many mamas here say under one just for fun. Solid food isn't really that important until around a year of age.

EmilytheStrange 09-18-2012 09:05 PM

DD only agreed to one substantial solids meal at 10months. The others she was interested in after she was a year old.

Liaklong 09-25-2012 10:29 AM

My son will be 9M 10/13 & he won't touch puréed baby food. I'm lucky if I can get a spoonful in him every couple of days. As another momma suggested, I started giving him more finger foods. I steam fruits & veggies & chop them fine w/food process, but still w/ enough texture that they aren't completely mushy. Then he can pick it up w/ his hands, but still a bit smaller than I would chop w/a knife. Quite messy, but he eats so much more that way. He also loves those yogurt & veggie melts, but my kids are early teeth getters. He's cutting #8 already! Ouch!

I also talked to my pediatrician & he said all my DS really needs is my BM for the 1st year, so not to stress if he's picky & doesn't eat much. It's more for skills development than nutrition at this point.

mommy24babes 09-25-2012 11:04 AM

None of my 4 would ever eat puréed baby food.
ODD would gag on it. OTOH they all love chunky real food.
YDD 9 mos has been eating chunks for the last 2 mos. a whole peeled apple will keep her happy for a long time.
I soft cook carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, squash, avocado hunks.
She loves rice and quinoa. Small hunks of dehydrated fruit bars. Baby cereal puffs.
Recently shredded chicken is a fave.

I would just follow your little ones lead and try to feed what you are eating as long as it is healthy.

laura1982 09-26-2012 10:34 AM

I've also heard that some babies just don't like purees. Perhaps go more of the chunky or finger-food route?