Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Can you opt out of a dr's physical for public preschool? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444936)

theonenonlymrssmith 09-18-2012 05:26 PM

Can you opt out of a dr's physical for public preschool?

I am filling out forms to register DS for his first year of preschool, and it includes several places for a Dr's signature..... We choose not to take our children to the DR unless they really need it. (Excluding colds, and small stomach bugs etc.) Which means, we RARELY need or see a doctor.

Can I choose to opt out for personal reasons? This is a public preschool in Colorado.

Thanks!

Mrs.Os 09-18-2012 05:41 PM

Re: Can you opt out of a dr's physical for public preschool?

You can opt out of synth with a good reason and agreeable people. I didn't do a lot of those things as a kid. Hardly any shots and whatnot

theonenonlymrssmith 09-18-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Os
You can opt out of synth with a good reason and agreeable people. I didn't do a lot of those things as a kid. Hardly any shots and whatnot

I'm sorry, what is "synth"?

JeDeeLenae 09-18-2012 06:55 PM

Here, you can't opt out. Kindergarten kids will also need proof of an eye exam.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

lanwenyi 09-18-2012 07:22 PM

It depends on your state. In CA, you can opt out of anything with just a signature. In MS, iirc, you CANT opt out of anything. Most states are somewhere in the middle, often requiring a religious reason and/or a written statement. You'll have to look up the laws in your state.

luvsviola 09-18-2012 10:05 PM

We just had to provide shot records or waiver form. If you do the waiver form, you get lectured incessently about how you are damaging your child...blah...blah...blah. They kicked everyone who didn't have the chicken pox vaccine out of school for 4 weeks last year when there was an outbreak.

I would do the physical though. Schools are DCS happy on medical neglect. In the state's eyes, not doing well child visits is sometimes construed as medical neglect and will cause them to open an investigation, which, while it probably will find nothing, is a PITA for you.

canadianbakers 09-19-2012 08:12 AM

For preschool? A physical and all vaxes? Seriously?!
:thud:

I think DD has her school booster shot. The boys don't, and I don't think are "up to date" otherwise anyways. I've never had the school say anything at all about it.

theonenonlymrssmith 09-19-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers
For preschool? A physical and all vaxes? Seriously?!
:thud:

I think DD has her school booster shot. The boys don't, and I don't think are "up to date" otherwise anyways. I've never had the school say anything at all about it.

This school has a form titled "general health appraisal" and it requires that a dr fill it out. I was going to call the school and ask about a waiver but now I'm nervous since the PP said they can call dhp.

......you should see what my posts look like BEFORE auto correct.

JeDeeLenae 09-19-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith

This school has a form titled "general health appraisal" and it requires that a dr fill it out. I was going to call the school and ask about a waiver but now I'm nervous since the PP said they can call dhp.

......you should see what my posts look like BEFORE auto correct.

I don't think it will hurt to call and ask. You can still opt out of vaccinations, but they do like to know that the kid is otherwise healthy. You can probably go to a cvs minute clinic or something and just ask for a school physical.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

canadianbakers 09-19-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith (Post 15702923)

:thud: I just can't imagine. Wow.

I've never heard of a physical being needed for any schooling - whether preschool or primary school. Like I said, our boys don't have the "booster shot" and I've never heard anything from the school about it.