Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Shortness of breath - at end of first trimester... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444960)

amcess721 09-18-2012 07:00 PM

Shortness of breath - at end of first trimester...

It seems awful early for this to be happening as I KNOW it'll happen later on when baby is taking up precious space in there.
However, for the past 4 days, I've found myself very short of breath. Talking, walking a short distance, heck - even sitting on the couch eating grapes and I'm short of breath. Last night I couldn't fall asleep good. Woke up in the middle of the night sort of gasping for air... even thought I'd been sleeping soundly, as soon as I woke up, I had the sense of not getting enough air.

The feeling is like I just can't breathe in deep enough to get a satisfying breath. Then when I finally DO get a breath that feels satisfying... 2 breaths later, it all repeats itself and I'm getting exhausted.

Is anyone else experiencing this this early on? I don't remember it from my past 2 pregnancies - other than the stuff that happens later on.
I know this can be from hormone changes, but this seems extreme. Am I alone? Has anyone else had this? How long did this wonderful phase of pregnancy last? I'll be 13 weeks tomorrow - hopefully entering what is typically the easiest trimester. But if this keeps up, I think I'd rather have the sour stomach of 8-10 weeks back! lol!

EmilytheStrange 09-18-2012 07:25 PM

Re: Shortness of breath - at end of first trimester...

um.. I've been having a rough time since about oh.. 6 weeks. I first noticed it with my running.

all the extra blood circulating in your body is what does it. I am so very out of breath (although possibly not as much as you!). I told the doctor that I feel like I have enough blood pumping through me that I could be having triplets.

but... if I was gasping for air in the middle of the night, I might go to the doctor. Because that doesn't sound normal for any part of pregnancy.

itiswhatitis1984 09-18-2012 07:39 PM

I've been the same way (12 weeks today). Do you have allergies? That's what I'm chalking mine up to. My allergies got worse when I got pregnant and I think it is flaring up asthma. This is also a horrible year for allergies! Hope you start to feel better. I gave to say I'm relieved someone else is experiencing it also and I'm not totally alone...misery loves company, right ;)

amcess721 09-18-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itiswhatitis1984 (Post 15701213)
I've been the same way (12 weeks today). Do you have allergies? That's what I'm chalking mine up to. My allergies got worse when I got pregnant and I think it is flaring up asthma. This is also a horrible year for allergies! Hope you start to feel better. I gave to say I'm relieved someone else is experiencing it also and I'm not totally alone...misery loves company, right ;)

It certainly does! lol!
No asthma, no allergies, no stuffy nose, no colds... although now I have a bit of an understanding for those who do have real breathing troubles.

amcess721 09-18-2012 07:43 PM

What I really want is someone to come in and say they had this problem and it got miraculously better after a few days or a week or so... I want to know there's an end in sight without having to wait the next 27 weeks until baby is here.

canadianbakers 09-19-2012 08:03 AM

Hmm... could be a lot of different reasons for it - some benign and passing, but some serious. Definitely worth a mention to your care provider at your next appt, or worth going in right away if it gets any worse.

I think lots of moms get SOB once the uterus starts pushing way up there, that's normal. Personally, I get SOB (pregnant or not) when my platelets drop - SOB and dizziness are my most obvious symptoms.

boekesec 09-19-2012 01:34 PM

I'd mention it at your next appointment, but I had shortness of breath starting that early with both this pregnancy and my previous. My doc told me it was because of all the extra bloodflow. There are some significant hormone surges around the end of the first and beginning of second tri too, which could be part of it - I would always get headaches around then too.

And don't count allergies out - I have only ever had them when pregnant, but they are BAD when I get them. Could be contributing.

amcess721 09-19-2012 03:10 PM

I'm wondering if it's been some combination of being deyhydrated and maybe something blood (iron?) related... I know I haven't been drinking enough and when the sour stomach stuff got terrible, I got bad about the prenatals... so I've made sure to get lots of water and the prenatals yesterday and today and today is much better.
... although, today the 13 week headache started - I do remember this from last time around... and the time before that.

mommajewels 09-19-2012 04:37 PM

I'm still right there with ya.. and it's still worse at night for me. :( I'm definitely mentioning it at my 16wk check up if I'm still dealing with it because, IMO, this isn't the same combination of extra blood volume and uterine pressure shortness of breath I experienced with my other kiddos, and it's happening a lot sooner than I've ever experienced it before. That in combination with the fact that I've experienced pregnancy induced heart issues before concerns me. Goodluck mama!

nisha 09-20-2012 08:13 PM

I am anemic and if I'm not taking iron, I feel exactly like you are describing. I take Floradix and have felt SO much better since I started!

I was borderline anemic with my two previous pregnancies but the shortness of breath was NOTHING compared to this time!