Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Cheapest place to buy math manipulatives? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445025)

iris0110 09-18-2012 10:04 PM

Cheapest place to buy math manipulatives?

If you read my previous post you know I've been struggling with Tharen and schooling. I have had to completely change how we do "school" but using manipulatives like unifix cubes, play money and tangrams seems to help. I found a cool book for teaching math with manipulatives but I'm going to need quite a few things I don't have. This stuff can get really $$$ and I don't want to over spend since we are changing courses already and the year has just begun. I have a teacher tools store near me and I love shopping there but I know stuff can be pricey there as well. There is a homeschooling shop in town that I have never been to so I have no idea what they may or may not have. If I drive 30 miles there is another teacher type store that I am sure would have what I need (plus some other cool stuff but probably not more than what the local teacher store has). Or would Amazon be the cheapest option?

stephie_j24 09-19-2012 01:10 AM

Re: Cheapest place to buy math manipulatives?

I have ordered some cheap manipulatives off amazon and from Fun and Function.

Have you tried using random household materials? That's DD's favorite way to do math. We used seashells with numerals during our ocean study, marshmallows with toothpicks and cheerios for place value, etc... much cheaper than "real" manipulatives :)

iris0110 09-19-2012 12:08 PM

I have used house hold items in the past, both boys learned to add with dry cereal. We even have a good number of manipulatives but the book I have calls for specific items like a geoboard, geosolids, centimeter cubes, fraction circles, and a bucket scale and bear family counters for different lessons. I don't know that I can teach the lessons without the correct manipulatives to go along with them. I have many of the manipulatives already but these ones I do not. There are a lot of manipulatives which winds up adding up to a lot of money and a lot of space. I'm torn on buying them all and where to buy them.

*KaiMom* 09-19-2012 01:10 PM

Lakeshore Learning has is a good place to start; I'm always getting emails about their sales. Have you looking into Math U See? I know my friend bought the teacher guide and manipulatives for $100; that includes everything you would need. She loves it!

Candy Lee 09-19-2012 01:52 PM

This is a great set that we currently use. It has everything you are looking for in it, also, I believe. It is kind of pricey, but it would probably be cheaper than buying things individually.

JessiFish 09-23-2012 01:25 PM

Discount School Supply? discountschoolsupply.com
I really want some Unifix cubes, too. :)

angel nee nee 09-23-2012 02:55 PM

I think this ebay seller has wonderful manupulatives. :)
http://stores.ebay.com/bargins4u247

JackieLyn 09-24-2012 06:09 AM

Shannon, which book are you using for math? I'm also looking for some less conventional ways of getting some schoolwork in ;) I was just thinking about getting more manipulatives, I have a bunch because I bought RightStart math a while back.

iris0110 09-24-2012 12:37 PM

Jackie, right now we are using Developing Number Concepts with Unifix Cubes. We have kind of skipped around a bit since he is at a 2nd grade level and many of the suggestions start at a preschool level and work up but there is some great stuff in there and he just loves unifix cubes. I've also had him playing with play money and some flash cards so he can learn what coins look like and how to count money. We have the Discovery Toys Busy Bugs learning set and we have been playing with those, they are just like the bug counters so we have been patterning and counting with them but it is a bit below his level as well, he just enjoys playing with the bugs (I've had the set since Kearnan was probably 3). So that is what we are doing right now. I also have Math to Learn and Math to Learn Teacher Resource which I had intended to use this year and it uses a combination of worksheets and some manipulatives like the abacus, basic counters, base ten cubes, hundreds charts ect to introduce concepts but right now Tharen is refusing to work on it because it has work sheets. I think he would like it if we just did it. The book is really cool.

What I bought for next year and beyond is Hands on Standards and it looks really ideal for teaching him. http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resou...s+on+standards It is grades 3-4 My problem is that I just never know how to teach things hands on, I learn from reading and worksheets. Unfortunately it requires a bunch of manipulatives I don't have on hand, though I do have many of them. I've got some time to find them though. It is looking like amazon might be the best place.

JackieLyn 09-25-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iris0110 (Post 15725240)
Jackie, right now we are using Developing Number Concepts with Unifix Cubes. We have kind of skipped around a bit since he is at a 2nd grade level and many of the suggestions start at a preschool level and work up but there is some great stuff in there and he just loves unifix cubes. I've also had him playing with play money and some flash cards so he can learn what coins look like and how to count money. We have the Discovery Toys Busy Bugs learning set and we have been playing with those, they are just like the bug counters so we have been patterning and counting with them but it is a bit below his level as well, he just enjoys playing with the bugs (I've had the set since Kearnan was probably 3). So that is what we are doing right now. I also have Math to Learn and Math to Learn Teacher Resource which I had intended to use this year and it uses a combination of worksheets and some manipulatives like the abacus, basic counters, base ten cubes, hundreds charts ect to introduce concepts but right now Tharen is refusing to work on it because it has work sheets. I think he would like it if we just did it. The book is really cool.

What I bought for next year and beyond is Hands on Standards and it looks really ideal for teaching him. http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resou...s+on+standards It is grades 3-4 My problem is that I just never know how to teach things hands on, I learn from reading and worksheets. Unfortunately it requires a bunch of manipulatives I don't have on hand, though I do have many of them. I've got some time to find them though. It is looking like amazon might be the best place.

Excellent, thanks for the resource! I will definitely check it out :)