Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   GF cinna-sticks and breadsticks (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445043)

kaylabelle05 09-18-2012 11:19 PM

GF cinna-sticks and breadsticks

Oh what a pregnant woman will do to fulfill a craving.

So I am GF and have been 100% since April. And since becoming pregnant in June I have craved most wheat things (cinnamon rolls, Froot Loops, fruit pies....) but obviously I can't or I will get massive heartburn & facial psoriasis.

So I still make things for the family that have wheat in them. Today I made the kids a home-made churro. The kids liked it and I craved it even more. I NEEDED to eat something that had butter & cinnamon/sugar. So I went on the hunt to put those things on something so I could eat it as I couldn't just order cinna-sticks from Domino's.

I went through my cabinets and found a package of GF pizza crust. It popped into my head immediately about cinna-sticks from Domino's and breadsticks from Pizza Hut. Since the package could make 2 "pizzas", I made 2 breadstick things. I made them in about an hour and got my craving fulfilled. Oh it was wonderful! And surprisingly tastes almost exactly like Domino's cinna-sticks minus the extra bad stuff.

So for Domino's cinna-sticks:
1 package of GF pizza crust. Make as normal.
Cut in half and put half in a casserole dish (preferably square)
Cook normally.
When you are supposed to put the toppings on the crust, brush butter on the crust.
Cook for another 10 mins.
When done, take out and flip over on cutting board.
Brush more butter on the flipped side.
Then cover with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Cut into strips about 1" wide.

Home-made icing:
1 stick butter (1/4 lb.)
1 cap (about 4 drops) vanilla
1 lb. (box) powdered sugar
Milk (enough to make the proper consistency for drizzling)
Add butter, vanilla and half of powdered sugar. Add milk and rest of sugar until icing is the correct consistency for pouring over cinnamon rolls in a thin stream. If not pourable, add a few drops more milk at a time; if too thin, add a few tablespoons of sugar at a time, stirring in until thick enough.

For breadsticks:
Instead of cinnamon/sugar mixture, put breadstick mixture on it.
Brush on olive oil
Then put following mixture on breadstick rectangle
2 tablespoons dry parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon oregano
Cut into strips about 1" wide.
Use pizza sauce for dipping!

Oh I need more after typing that out!
And all of this because I couldn't call Pizza Hut or Domino's!

myclanof6 09-19-2012 04:17 PM

Oh Yum! I'm going to have to try that! I've been craving pizza this pregnancy, but everyone else is burned out on it. I wonder if they would freeze well since I don't need to eat all those carbs at once. :giggle: I'm trying to keep my carb intake low since my blood sugar is staying up this pregnancy. Not GD, but borderline. :/

Autocorrect has helped me type this.

mommy2sammy 09-19-2012 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info! We are GF for ds, wheat allergy, and it's great to have things that we miss!

kaylabelle05 09-19-2012 07:38 PM

Re: GF cinna-sticks and breadsticks

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2sammy (Post 15705187)
Thanks for the info! We are GF for ds, wheat allergy, and it's great to have things that we miss!

This has been VERY hard since I have been wanting wheat. I have been making a LOT of alternatives that actually taste quite yummy. Plus they are healthier since I am making it myself.

The Fancy Pansy 09-19-2012 07:56 PM

Why in the world have I never thought of this?!?! 7 years gf, and I'm feeling like a dope now! Yummmmmmmm....

kaylabelle05 09-19-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy (Post 15705888)
Why in the world have I never thought of this?!?! 7 years gf, and I'm feeling like a dope now! Yummmmmmmm....

Glad to help! If the kids hadn't been eating cheese tacos and I hadn't smelled cinnamon, I wouldn't have thought of it either.

momtronic 09-20-2012 12:11 PM

This sounds great. Our family went GF for my son, and he has been so much happier with his tummy since! This is something I will add to the desserts that he can have, since he also has sensitivity to dairy, so the standby ice cream is usually out. I'm sure my son would thank you! :goodvibes:

talitha 09-20-2012 01:41 PM

That sounds delicious. I am going to try this as soon as I make it to the store tomorrow!

kaylabelle05 09-20-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momtronic (Post 15708367)
This sounds great. Our family went GF for my son, and he has been so much happier with his tummy since! This is something I will add to the desserts that he can have, since he also has sensitivity to dairy, so the standby ice cream is usually out. I'm sure my son would thank you! :goodvibes:

The frosting could be made by a non-dairy "milk". I used DS's Lactaid milk and it tasted JUST like the frosting Domino's gives you.

meeshkasheeba 09-20-2012 06:51 PM

Awesome. I will have to do this. I just bought a GF cinnamon roll mix though so I will try it first.