Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Tell me about ssc's for newborns! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445242)

lovewool 09-19-2012 01:17 PM

Tell me about ssc's for newborns!

I am not interested in using a baby bjorn as I have read that the position is not good for small babies.

I was leaning towards an ergo with the infant insert but I keep reading reviews that the insert is too bulky for a newborn.

With my first I tried moby and baby k'tan and didn't like either. I think I didn't like the moby because I am short? Or I just don't have the patience to learn. And the k'tan I couldn't stand.

We have a boba that I like but that unfortunately won't work in the first several months.

So are there any other options? Anyone that has successfully used an ergo with the insert with a newborn with no problems with bulk?

To make things even more difficult, I would want whatever ssc we end up getting for the new one to be organic. :giggle: So are there any other options?

umphreysmommy 09-19-2012 07:08 PM

I love our ergo but didn't like it for my newbie with the insert at all. It was way to bulky. The beco has the internal harness for newborns and I used that for a SSC but I hate it now that she is 6 months! My favorite carrier is a ring sling by far until the babies really get big enough for SSC's.

IowaGold 09-19-2012 08:46 PM

Re: Tell me about ssc's for newborns!

I liked my Gemini when she was little (and still like it at almost 6 months). When she was tiny, I froggied her legs (she liked it that way) and then when she was a little bigger it was nice that the base of the body could be made smaller so that she could be legs out. The Gemini doesn't have an internal sling and doesn't need an insert to be used by younger babies.

bluedaisyma 09-19-2012 09:06 PM

you don't need an insert. you can roll a small towel or receiving blanket in the bottom of the carrier. there is a thread on the babywearer about how to "make" an insert with 2 receiving blankets. I found with my beco 4g, I didn't need anything, just kept him froggied.

tesslouise 09-19-2012 09:51 PM

I love my Boba 3g for DD#2, who is 4.5 weeks old.

lovewool 09-19-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesslouise (Post 15706365)
I love my Boba 3g for DD#2, who is 4.5 weeks old.

Hmmm I have a boba, but I think mine is the 2g.... I will have to check.

mazgirl 09-20-2012 07:51 AM

Yes, you should make sure it's not a 3G. If it is a 3G you can roll the bottom strap up that goes around your waist to make it a newborn carrier. I used it with my newborn and loved it, so worth double checking!

MDever 09-20-2012 08:11 AM

PAX Baby has some great info for this. Jillian is super helpful and even has some youtube videos for you to get a better idea.