Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Just made a vat of gumbo (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445306)

myclanof6 09-19-2012 05:12 PM

Just made a vat of gumbo

And the house smells amazing! When I make it I usually use about 4lbs of bl/sl chicken breast and 3-4 lbs of sausage. That amount makes 2 full dinners and at least 2 days of leftovers from each dinner. There are 6 of us (me, dh, 14 yo DS, 10 yo DS, 7 yo DS and almost 2 yo dd) and dh and the two older eat like mountain men! Everyone has two helpings of it usually. I freeze half of it the day after I make it so its already cold and freezes and pours easily.
I just doubled that amount. Four bell peppers, 2 large onions and a huge can of tomatoes went on there also. One friend had a baby last week and another is due on the 30th. This amount should give us a third, possibly fourth dinner and still have plenty for leftovers for our friends. Including their newborns they have 4 and 5 people in their bunches, oldest being 5. They obviously won't eat as much as we do, but one meal for us will stretch into two meals for them.
Just wanted to share my joy in making good somewhat healthy food. :) Being anemic during pregnancy has kicked my butt and zapped all energy. I feel like such a lazy bum when we eat out because I couldn't bring myself to cook something. Thanks for reading this far and listening to my excitement in this small victory. :goodvibes:

Autocorrect has helped me type this.

Ruthk33 04-21-2013 06:24 PM

I know this is an old thread but I was born in Louisiana and I love, love gumbo. I'm a Cajun and Mexican girl and I must say I love my food heritage :)

lisaaag 04-21-2013 08:08 PM

Re: Just made a vat of gumbo

I'd love to have the recipe, it sounds so good.

Hungry Caterpillar 04-22-2013 03:03 PM

I would love a good gumbo recipe. Especially one that freezes well!

hilaryisinked 04-22-2013 03:58 PM

Yum!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

wooly_wonderful 04-22-2013 04:03 PM

Yummy!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Leah52 04-22-2013 05:01 PM

Re: Just made a vat of gumbo

I've been wanting gumbo all day thanks to this thread. :giggle:

myclanof6 04-22-2013 05:23 PM

Wow! No idea so many people wanted a recipe. I'll work on getting it typed up and post later. It's super super simple though. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing :)

Nicolenutt 04-22-2013 05:25 PM

Sounds delicious.

lisathib123 04-23-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthk33
I know this is an old thread but I was born in Louisiana and I love, love gumbo. I'm a Cajun and Mexican girl and I must say I love my food heritage :)

I live in southern Louisiana and gumbo is my favorite. I'll make a pot so big that me and my 7 kids will eat in the for days!!!! It's always better the next day!!!!