Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Best chickens for egg laying? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445324)

lensesforeyes 09-19-2012 05:40 PM

Best chickens for egg laying?

Finally convinced my husband to get some chickens, but I know nothing about the breeds. What do you ladies suggest?

3lilbubs 09-19-2012 06:56 PM

Re: Best chickens for egg laying?

Any of the sexlink hens are great layers, 7 days a week, nice sized eggs. Sarah has one that she says lays a HUGE egg though, I bet she'll be along to recommend a breed soon. :)

Happy Mommax4 09-19-2012 07:24 PM

My americaunas are my best layers, I get two blue eggs 362 days a year!

sarahannecloud9 09-20-2012 06:38 AM

My australorp's pullet egg is almost 3". They can get almost as big as a soda can. Now my cochins lay an XL egg daily. Not sure if the australorps will lay daily when they get older? It's looking good though. I also have a star bsl that lays daily. Smaller eggs. If you want a daily layer with good size, I think the cochin and australorps are good breeds. Australorps can be bossy, but terribly sweet with us. I think if my other hens were more dominant breeds, they would work perfectly together. I'm very fond of them and the cochins. I'm deff getting rid of my rir's. That will free up some room for my dream hens. one of each.

3lilbubs 09-20-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Mommax4 (Post 15705753)
My americaunas are my best layers, I get two blue eggs 362 days a year!

My Easter egger Tilly is my only one laying out of four, but she does lay a nice sized blue egg 6 days a week. :) I can't vouch for the whole breed since I have just the one laying. Glad to hear they're just as reliable!

vjbakke 09-20-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs (Post 15705637)
Any of the sexlink hens are great layers, 7 days a week, nice sized eggs. Sarah has one that she says lays a HUGE egg though, I bet she'll be along to recommend a breed soon. :)

I agree, we have red sex links, they are over a year old, still laying almost every day.

lensesforeyes 09-22-2012 09:50 AM

Thanks ladies! Glad to have a place to start now! :)

Leah52 09-22-2012 01:35 PM

We have several different breeds and our Red and Black Star sex links lay the biggest and most consistently. We also have two Leghorns that lay very well and their eggs are fairly large considering the hens are on the small side.

sarahannecloud9 09-22-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah52 (Post 15717425)
We have several different breeds and our Red and Black Star sex links lay the biggest and most consistently. We also have two Leghorns that lay very well and their eggs are fairly large considering the hens are on the small side.

I can't find a pic of a red star sex-link online. I have a blk one. She looks very diff from a bsl. Do the rsl and star rsl look as diff? Do you have a pic? I just can't find any online info on them. :( I know my star bsl lays every day never failing, ever since she started to lay. Sorry for the q's. And i'm sorry for hijacking.:blush:

Macyllehub 09-22-2012 03:13 PM

I currently have barred rocks, rhode island reds, americaunas, golden sexlinks and black australorps.

For feed to egg conversion rate - I think my golden sexlinks win that race by far! My close second is our black australorps but I think they eat more.