Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vbac (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Just spoke to my doctor about VBAC.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445516)

Lilybug1 09-20-2012 10:14 AM

Just spoke to my doctor about VBAC..

So I just spoke to my OB about doing a VBAC, he said I could be a good candidate, since I had one vaginal delivery and one c-section (performed by him) due to baby's size, but get this, while he is supportive, his partners are not. There are 6 doctors in the group and he says that one of his partners would be okay with VBAC but the other 4 would not. So if I go into labor and one of those 4 other doctors are on call, I'd have to hope that he could come in and make himself available. He said he would try to work it out, but that if he is out of town or if he/his kids are sick or whatever, he might not be able to. So if I really, relaly, really want to do a c-section, it might be worth looking into a practice that the whole group is on board. I really like my doctor because he knows a lot of my issues...I don't know if it's worth it.

What do you think?

canadianbakers 09-20-2012 11:07 AM

Re: Just spoke to my doctor about VBAC..

I think it's so darn stupid that Dr's aren't okay with VBACs. :banghead: Makes me so angry!

But, in your case, it may be worthwhile looking into another care provider. Unless you feel like you can fight these other Drs on it while laboring? I don't know if I could or not. I mean, I would want to... but labor + conflict don't nicely mix.
Ultimately, they can't do anything to you (ie. surgery!!) without your consent. So, don't consent. But it's not really that easy, kwim? Likely they'd been abrupt with you and barking out stupid not true "statistics" to scare you into signing.

holly6737 09-20-2012 12:33 PM

I would find another practice, to be honest. You don't want that kind of thing being up in the air when you go into labor. You need to have a plan.

Lilybug1 09-20-2012 01:54 PM

I found another practice nearby that seems to do VBAC. I'm confused. Can I just schedule a consult or meeting with them? Thanks.

canadianbakers 09-20-2012 03:19 PM

:dunno: You'd have to call them and ask. They may say come on in, or they may need a referral from your OB.

Binah Birth 09-22-2012 07:19 AM

Run for the hills! All you need to do is call them and say you'd like a consult b/c you are thinking of switching providers. I have switched providers like 4 or 5 times in 2 pregnancies. You need to be where you are the most comfortable and confident.

Lilybug1 09-24-2012 09:41 AM

I will try to schedule a consult. My only problem is I really like my doctor. He is already my second doctor. I delivered my first wtih one practice at one hospital. Then I switched over to him because my first doctor was totally condescending and I hated the first hospital. I actually really liked this hospital. Anyhow, if I switch again, it'll be yet another practice and yet another hospital! I feel like I am touring all the hospitals in my town. I've been through a lot with my doctor and I feel like he gets me. I feel like he would do everything he can to be there for a VBAC if it gets to that. I do know that they have done VBACs so obviously they find a way to work out thes cheduling. But what if it's a long labor, you know? There are just too many unknowns. It sucks that I found a doctor I am comfrotable with but yet I have switch yet again. It's definitely worth a consult but I think it just sucks.

canadianbakers 09-24-2012 11:08 AM

:bighug: No doubt, it definitely sucks.

Lilybug1 09-24-2012 03:04 PM

Ugh, I just called and it's like they are booking me for a regular appointment with bloodwork,etc. I don't want all that done twice. I'll have to try to email the doctor because the receptionist didn't seem to know.

HotPotato1010 09-28-2012 04:35 AM

That can be so frustrating.. finding a doctor who 1.) you like and click with and 2.) has the same views as you!

I agree that you should find a doctor that will support your decisions. Good luck!