Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Can you help with ideas for soft, dry finger foods? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445556)

aflyingbuttress 09-20-2012 11:19 AM

Can you help with ideas for soft, dry finger foods?

I have a 6 month old and I have been trying to start her on solids for a while and she really does not like pureed baby food. I've tried countless times and she doesn't like it at all.

I thought she simply wasn't ready until I went to visit a friend this weekend who has 2 children already, one is currently 1 year old so she had a variety of baby foods on hand. We tried a few things and to my surprise she is gobbling up the more solid finger foods, like the gerber graduates puffs. I keep going back to the pureed food and she still is not interested so I think maybe its a textural thing.

So, I do not want to keep giving her gerber graduates. I really want to feed her homemade foods that are organic and don't have preservatives and also offer a higher level of nutrition than simple puffed rice. I know I can make her some soft sweet potatoes, and steam apples or other fruits and veggies and I will try that.

What are some dry foods I can make her that I can put in a baggy and take with me places or give to her as a dry finger food that wont be too hard for her to eat? Any ideas are appreciated.

stephy2241 10-07-2012 11:42 PM

Re: Can you help with ideas for soft, dry finger foods?

bump..i wish i knew too!!!

firststella 10-08-2012 12:17 AM

Peeled seedless grapes? Raspberries?

I would say pieces of avocado but that might get bad in a snack box.

LinzTAW 10-09-2012 11:29 PM

Freeze dried fruit and veggies!!!! They are super easy for on-the-go and DS loves them! We buy ours at Target, they are the Archer Farms brand. I think they're in the pop aisle. We started with corn and peas, which are really easy for little hands to grab. Be careful though and don't give too much, they caused some digestive problems. We now usually give him the bananas or apples broken up it to smaller pieces and they are his favorite. No issues with them. Be careful as some have added sugar, but not all of them.
Another great food for babies is cheese! I cut up a string cheese for him to eat and he just loves it.

DragonnMama 10-10-2012 12:56 PM

The Happy Baby (Dr. Sears) puffs actually have nutrition in them (Vit. D, iron, etc.) and are completely organic. My little one is OBSESSED with them. We have never yet hit capacity with the puffs! They do make her a bit constipated though.

Cooked peas are another favorite finger food!

LKB 10-19-2012 10:18 AM

My son seems to like the banana, oat, and cherry bars (posted at homemade-baby-food-recipes.com under "cherries"). They're nice because you can control the size of any particles (i.e., chop the dried cherries more, use ground oats) and I feel better about giving him these than graham crackers (although he does love those as well--who wouldn't with all the sugar?). Another big hit (although maybe not the best to-go option) is the "baby chicken fingers with apple" on the same website, listed under "infant finger food recipes". Oh, and quesadillas! My son won't eat cheese when i just give him pieces (he just smooshes it around), but he LOVES quesadillas, and you can hide all sorts of other stuff in them--mango, meat, avocado, etc.