Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2 questions about nursing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445606)

dancingingrace 09-20-2012 01:20 PM

2 questions about nursing

I'm getting ready to have my baby in a few weeks, and I'm really hoping to be successful with nursing this time, and I just have 2 questions:

1) How useful or necessary did you find a boppy pillow, and would you suggest getting one? I had one with my first (it was actually a different brand, leachco), but it got ruined and had to be thrown out, and we weren't able to nurse for long anyway, so I really don't know how much I may have used or needed it. I think I would try the boppy brand this time, though, if I get another one.

2) I know that when you're pregnant, you can't eat certain things, of course....does the same go for when you're nursing? I don't drink, smoke or do drugs, so I'm not referring to anything like that...but, what about rare steaks and things like that?

Thanks!

aimeeturd 09-20-2012 01:26 PM

I personally do not use my Boppy very much but that's because I nurse in our recliner all the time. If we didn't have the recliner then I would definitely use the Boppy more. Unless you're eating something bizarre or your child has allergies then you can eat most things that are not allowed during pregnancy, such as rare steak, lunch meat and dippy eggs. Good luck to you!

Computermama 09-20-2012 01:51 PM

Re: 2 questions about nursing

I don't use a boppy, but I use the my brest friend pillow and love it even now at almost 5 months. If I'm home, I pretty much nurse on it in the living room, or side lying on my bed. I prefer sidelying on my bed these days, as it's a more distraction free environment for a more aware baby, but still do both. Not that I needed it this time, but the first time around I found it very helpful because I could buckle it up high where it wouldn't put pressure on my c-section incision.

And there's very little you can't eat while breastfeeding, unless of course your baby doesn't tolerate it. I eat the same things I did before I got pregnant now that I'm nursing DD2. If you're unsure, have a little bit and then watch baby for about 24hrs and see how they do. If you don't get a gassy fussy baby and their stools are fine, you're probably fine to eat it.

Vie.en.Rose 09-20-2012 02:04 PM

I have nothing to add about your second question, the ladies before me covered it rather well! :)

I was too cheap to buy a nursing pillow with my first and thought that a body pillow would work. It did, but after using a real nursing pillow at a friend's, I was hooked! I bought one the next day and it really saved my back. I was grateful to have it after my second was born as well. I will say though that I didn't use it for long. My babies seemed to outgrow them by month 3 or 4. I also never used it when I sat in my rocking chair, just when I was at the computer, dinner table, couch, etc...

mibarra 09-20-2012 02:18 PM

I love love love my boppy. I was often nursing on the couch, and if you have no other support, your arm WILL get tired.

As for eating things, the La Leche League puts out a GREAT book... The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. It has TONS of info on all kinds of things like diet, what to do for plugged ducts and mastitis, etc. I highly recommend it. :)

strongwoman 09-21-2012 04:07 PM

The only thing I *try* to avoid is dark chocolate :(. My LO ends up being hyper-alert after eating some and then nursing. I still eat it in very small quantities or I go for milk chocolate instead. I have both the boppy and my breastfriend pillows. I use both for different areas of the house. I found that the my breastfriend helped to give me back support right after giving birth but now find it a bit cumbersome at times because of the buckle. I only use it during the night since I need more support with holding the babe due to lack of sleep! Boppy pillow is used in the family room so I can more easily put it on and off without having to fiddle with a buckle. If you can find a used these two pillows on Craigslist or at a garage sale, i would try both of them if they are cheap. I hope your pregnancy is going well!

Kt1020 09-22-2012 12:34 PM

I used a boppy for a few weeks religiously until we got the hang of nursing laying down.

Our pediatrician told us a list of things we should avoid but I called bs. I have had no issues

OHIOFIFI 09-22-2012 02:09 PM

I love my Boppy. I used it for DD and took it to the hospital when I delivered DS and still use it every day 13 months later. DH also uses it when he bottle feeds DS. For me, it honestly was one of the best things to have.
Just watch your caffeine intake, the lactation consult told me no more than 2 a day. Dairy can be an issue as well as onions, spicy food, stongly flavored foods. It honestly will be a trial and error thing for you. DD never had food sensitivities but DS had several. You really won't know until after you have eaten it. Good luck !!

abunchoflemons 09-22-2012 02:18 PM

With my slight disability I used boppy for the first 3 to 6 months I think 2nd time around. I wasn't successful long with my first to nurse. I would try to find used on craigslist. I found mine at garage sale like 8 some yrs ago. A bit out of shape but still does what I needed it to. Depends on u. Sil not use one.

kelpie169 09-22-2012 02:23 PM

I love my nippy for when I had to sit somewhere that I couldn't recline. Lifesaver...we actually had 2 which was awesome.

As for eating-unless you notice baby having an issue then I never saw a reason to change diet. I don't even change it thy much when I'm pregnant. Still eat sushi and lunch meat and soft cheese. If you notice baby is gassy or fussy or something then maybe eliminate things but otherwise you're good.

Oh! One exception might be caffeine. I cut it out cause it made my guy bounce off the walls. But that could be him.